PDA

View Full Version : Recorded an album about my recent bout with anxiety. Hoping it helps others :)

shawnelliot
12-29-2013, 09:32 PM
Hello all!

My name is Shawn, I'm an occupational therapist assistant, musician, and I have generalized anxiety disorder with occasional agoraphobia, depersonalization, and derealization. The first time I was diagnosed was back in 2006 after having a break down from overworking and placing myself in highly stressful and anxiety provoking situations on a constant basis (performing and travelling to name a few). I was living without the extremes of this anxiety for a while until this past August 2013 after exposing myself to all the same stressors that knocked me down before (I've learned my lesson this time. lol) This time around, I chose to battle it through my creativity and a much needed change in lifestyle.

Over the past 3 months I wrote and recorded an album I entitled "Phoenix" chronicling my thoughts and experiences. I'm not much of a singer, although I sung a little bit on this one, more of a spoken word artist that rhymes over music. Anyway, it was the first time I wrote my unfiltered thoughts regarding anxiety, depression, suicide, and it was extremely cathartic. I wasn't going to let anyone hear these song but ended up showing them to some friends and found that they'd tell me they could relate and how comforting it was to know they weren't alone in having those types of thoughts of issues. Since then, I've posted it up for free download. I know it helps me when I speak to anyone that seems to experience the same thing I do, there's comfort in it. I invite you to download it if you'd like. Again, it's free. I'm just hoping my experiences can help others to feel not so alone, much how this forum does, in this journey we call anxiety. I wish you all the best and hope to chat with some of you soon. Take care :D

Free Download Link:
noisetrade.com/shawnelliot/phoenix