PDA

View Full Version : Adrenaline rush from tiny things?

mglover92
12-29-2013, 01:48 PM
Is this anxiety or do I have some sort of anger problem? For some reason every little thing or even a mild argument can trigger a fight or flight response from me. Like today my brother said something to me that was mean and I just started getting shortness or breath, fast heart rate and a bunch of crap. Although it offended me it wasnt even that serious and it was a joke. Is this a anger reaction or just heightened emotions from the anxiety and possibly a anxiety trigger for me? Its like I get this all the time when something like that happens or I read a story that upsets me or something...Is it just anxiety that my brain thinks is a threat?

quinny
12-29-2013, 02:02 PM
maybe abit of both, things that make you feel down can start your anxiety off or frustrate you got to try and chill and not let people get to you :)

vonnhelsing
12-29-2013, 02:10 PM
Anxiety just makes us super sensitive to everything. So any natural bodily response will be heightened for sure. I get it too when im having an anxious phase. One too many phonecalls and emails at work and I can literally feel the stress in my body and the adrenaline pulsing through me. If I raise my voice my heart rate goes right up. Its just hypersensitivity.. the exaggerated emotions will quiet down as fast as they came on. Just take a breather when it happens. .

artaud
12-29-2013, 03:37 PM
my brother said something to me that was mean and I just started getting shortness or breath, fast heart rate and a bunch of crap. Although it offended me it wasnt even that serious and it was a joke.

See the video at the following link (same video, different places to view it).

http://vimeo.com/68855377

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TzFNh2_dSBg

More specifically, the section on making choices on how we think. It offers a unique insight into the thinking you described, the opportunity to make a choice. You can cut-off that type of anger you mentioned when you take the time to understand the motivation.

I endured several years dealing with supervisors where I worked as a representative of the Union. The company supervisors would subtly throw insults, it helps them distract you from what you're trying to accomplish. But when you realize why they are insulting you, they cease being insults and become attempted distractions. I'd actually gently laugh when they threw an insult, or I'd ignore them and and pursue the interests of the employees I represented, without even reacting.

That's what I got out of the video. Unfortunately, just like you, I haven't perfected this away from work, but I'm trying. And yes, stress and anxiety can contribute to disproportionate reactions.

Be well.

Enduronman
12-29-2013, 03:48 PM
I understand this part well. It causes a reaction that I don't like however..I'm still trying to calm down 47 minutes later. grrrr....(sigh)

The Valeyard
12-29-2013, 04:06 PM
I think so. When someone says something that upsets me, it's like I can't think or see clearly. It feels like all this adrenaline just rushes to my head. It's freaky.

artaud
12-29-2013, 04:51 PM
I think so. When someone says something that upsets me, it's like I can't think or see clearly. It feels like all this adrenaline just rushes to my head..

From earlier in the thread.

See the video at the following link (same video, different places to view it).

http://vimeo.com/68855377

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TzFNh2_dSBg

More specifically, the section on making choices on how we think. It offers a unique insight into the thinking you described, the opportunity to make a choice. You can cut-off that type of anger you mentioned when you take the time to understand the motivation.

The only one you truly have control over is you. You won't ever be able to control the thoughts of others, but you can moderate your own thoughts. If I visited a mental institution and a patient made an outlandish and uninformed statement about my life, would I take this seriously? Hardly.

I'm not sure how far from being mental institution patients people at large are. Just because they have opinions doesn't mean their opinions have more sway than yours. When you react, you are empowering their opinions, if they were baseless, as out mental institution patient example, you would not have reacted.

Anyway, just a way that I try to cope with the opinions of others.

Be well.