PDA

View Full Version : Gabapentin?..hmmmm

Enduronman
12-27-2013, 05:58 PM
Got yet another new medication today to help with this nerve pain, supposedly...we'll see.

I did find this to be very interesting however, it is also used to treat anxiety, and probably depression too although I didn't look that up.

Rarely have I ever seen a rating of 8 for any medications used to treat mental disorders like anxiety..let alone an 8.6!

Take a look if you wish...

http://www.drugs.com/comments/gabapentin/for-anxiety.html

Anyone use this for nerve pains??....

Thank you!

E-Man...:)

Enduronman
12-27-2013, 06:03 PM
andddd....for bi-polar too??....hmmmmm.....

http://www.drugs.com/comments/gabapentin/for-bipolar-disorder.html

artaud
12-28-2013, 07:37 AM
Got yet another new medication today to help with this nerve pain, supposedly...we'll see.....Anyone use this for nerve pains??....

I've taken Neurontin before, but the half-life is short, and I only took it once a day for anxiety (the Doctor associated with the therapist prescribed it, but only because of my issues with some other meds and my seizure disorder). I've seen that it's used for Neuropathy, but the doses are much higher than I took and usually two or three times a day.

I had a nasty Neuropathy before, a burning down my one leg, it went on for months. I finally went to my family doctor and she prescribed a very low dose of Elavil (Amitriptyline), and viola, within a few days it was gone. Ahhh.

Good luck. Neurontin is well known for treating Neuropathies.

artaud
12-28-2013, 07:50 AM
andddd....for bi-polar too??....hmmmmm.....

Visit here:

http://www.crazymeds.us/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Meds/Neurontin

They have interesting alternate perspectives on various medications. Don't take anything disparagingly for Neuropathy or Seizures, though is discusses its use or overuse for a myraid of other things.

Enduronman
12-28-2013, 11:32 AM
I had a terrible reaction to it, so it will be removed from my medicational chart and profiles. I am allergic to it, just like (trazodone, carbamazepine, flexeril, gabapentin)..

Shortness of breath, difficulty breathing, heavy chest, couldn't get oxygen, mild throat swelling, and thatk God that ordeal is now over....YAY for short half life!!!...

geeze....that was insane. The Doc said to go to the ER!!! no...

E-Man...:)

Dahila
12-28-2013, 05:39 PM
Eman I am on gabapentin on 900 mg a day and it helps me with stabilizing my moods, anxiety and back pain (a few herniated disks):) works ok only one panic attack in the last 5 or 6 months. I do not tolerate any antidepressants, so this was an option, and it helps me with my back pain, that's for sure....

kris123
12-28-2013, 05:59 PM
I had a terrible reaction to it, so it will be removed from my medicational chart and profiles. I am allergic to it, just like (trazodone, carbamazepine, flexeril, gabapentin).. Shortness of breath, difficulty breathing, heavy chest, couldn't get oxygen, mild throat swelling, and thatk God that ordeal is now over....YAY for short half life!!!... geeze....that was insane. The Doc said to go to the ER!!! no... E-Man...:) oh boy! That must have been scary. Hope your ok now:) that's one of my biggest fears, that I will have a bad allergic reaction to medications...a reaction to anything really. So, you didn't go to the ER.?

Enduronman
12-28-2013, 07:36 PM
Hi Dahlia! I am glad that it works for you, those were some promising things I was reading about it and the many things it was capable of doing but I had an allergic reaction to it (which is common for me) and the Doc said no more...geeze. Wondering what's next again? I'd rather have soreness than suffocating any day...

Hi Kris, that sucked is all I can say. No, I didn't go to the ER because there is literally nothing that they can do about that besides try a couple more meds and make a huge ordeal out of "shortness of breathe and difficulty breathing".. Plus, the Doc and a Pharmacist said that the half life was very short. I was ok within a couple hours again. It was just weird to be gasping for air. The first thing I did, was to take my mind off of it and went outside to figure out what to do with some tools, trailer, trucks..that helped too. Just let me gasp (I knew that 300mg of that wan't going to kill me, going to take wayy more than that) and wait for it to pass..

Just glad THAT'S overwith..LOL! :)

Dahila
12-29-2013, 07:45 AM
Gasping for air is not novelty to me;)), I was suffering with asthma from 8 months of life, I am allergic to a lot things so I am kind like you E-man. Meds; I can not take anything with salicylic acid, common ingr in aspirin, I got Anaphylaxis. it is deadly for me.
You are on a lot of meds and you need to be aware of interactions. Trazadone caused shortness of breath for me, so I stopped it, even it helped me with sleep... I thought i am going to die, and I knew that is the meds....Welcome to the club;))
They helping and killing at the same time....

Enduronman
12-29-2013, 08:44 AM
OMG I remember the trazodone thing quite well. I thought I was going to die myself. I wanted my daughter in the room with me. Chest pain, shortness of breath, heavy chest, difficulty breathing. I believe that its sulfur related compounds that all of the meds I'm allergic too all have in common...

I'm not afraid to try them, just abit odd when you struggle to breathe Doll!!.. PHEW!....dodged one I think..

What a sucky club we're in!!!...Gotta have meds to "sustain" me.

yay..:)

E-Man..

Dahila
12-29-2013, 09:10 AM
What would I do without you Eman? Thank you for bringing my smile back :D

Enduronman
12-29-2013, 09:34 AM
So very welcome Doll...I like :D 's on my friends!!...(they're contagious)

EMan..:)