PDA

View Full Version : Was anyone affraid to take medication?

Howdy
02-07-2008, 03:38 PM
I got prescribed Clonzapam (sp?) but I've been affraid to start taking it because in my mind i'm affraid if I do i'll go crazy.
I've had intrusive thoughts for over 4 months now with bad panic attacks but the past few weeks the panic attacks have gone away. A few questions... Is it normal to have intrusive thoughts and not have anxiety attacks and also will the Clonzapam get rid of the intrusive thoughts?

Robbed
02-07-2008, 06:55 PM
It can be normal for intrusive thoughts to outlast anxiety/panic attacks. The problem here is that intrusive thoughts tend to become VERY habituated. And sometimes, an effort has to be made to break this habit. As for taking meds, this can be a VERY scary thing to do, as side effects can be REALLY disturbing. Although the side effects of a benzodiazepine like Clonazepam are generally MUCH less disturbing than SSRI side effects. As for whether it will get rid of intrusive thoughts, it may do this. But only temporarily. Ultimately, it is up to YOU to get rid of the intrusive thoughts. And the only way to do this is to ACCEPT and FACE them. Trying to fight and/or banish them only makes matters worse. And this is where people go wrong when they have this problem. By accepting and facing these thoughts, you become less fearful of them. So your mind will look at them as less of a threat, and therefore not bring them up as much. Just remember one thing: this all takes time. You are not going to be able to stop having these thoughts overnight. Or maybe even in a month or two. Just like dealing with ANY anxiety problem, this will take time - MUCH more time than you would like it to OR think it should take. Be willing to make the effort over the long haul, and you will find recovery. Remember, though, that intrusive thoughts will ALWAYS occur. This is normal, and EVERYBODY has them. But when you are recovered, they will occur MUCH, MUCH, MUCH less frequently. And when they DO, they will be FAR less disturbing.

One more thing. Be fully prepared for your symptoms to get worse at times for absolutely NO reason. Also be willing to accept that symptoms that you no longer have (like anxiety/panic attacks) will likely visit you again at some point(s) during your recovery. This is actually more the rule than the exception. So keep this in mind.

thesmurfs
02-09-2008, 04:20 PM
You shouldn't be afraid to take your medication, but it's perfectly plausible that your feeling nervous about it.

You've just got to put your trust into your doctor and see how things go with the medication. If you'd prefer, maybe start off on a very low dose and work your way up if that will make you feel more comfortable.

Thousands if not millions of people have been in your shoes as well, and if it's a solution or a way to make you better, go for it!

SMURF

blah27e
02-10-2008, 09:17 PM
Hi,

This is not uncommon at all for people that suffer with panic attacks, anxiety or agoraphobia. I do not like to take new meds, and usually don't.

When I was first prescribed meds for my panic attacks and agoraphobia, it was an older drug, a tricyclic called Tofrinal, and a new drug, at the time, called Xanax.

I took the Xanax first. My wife and I went to the hospital. At this hospital, they had a McDonalds inside. I went inside and took the Xanax. Waited about an hour to make sure that noting was going to happen, which it didn't. I did this for about a week, and then no longer needed to go to the hospital to take the Xanax. I did the same for Tofrinal.

My thinking was if any bad side affects occured, I would be at the hospital where I could get immediate help, which was not a good thing, because I used the hospital as a cruch, and it has long become a part of my safety zone, and unfortunately, I can't take that safety zone with me.

At any rate, this is quite common among people with panic attacks.

blah27e
02-10-2008, 09:19 PM
Whooops. I thought I was logged in under my username -> agoraphobia, but my son was logged in, so that post was under his username.

Sorry about that.

Johnny.