PDA

View Full Version : I'm New Here, But I Just Want To Say..

Crumble
12-26-2013, 02:55 PM
Ummm...hi.
I've just registered here today, but looking through threads and whatnot I'd just like to say that I'm reeeally glad something like this exists, and petiole are so supportive that it makes me feel so much better, it really does.
I'm a seventeen year old girl from Galway, Ireland, and I've had anxiety and panic attacks my whole life, but my mother does not believe in doctors, and so have never been to one. (I've been to enough counselors and social workers to know for sure that I have GAD though.)
Well, my mother informed me today that she's considering letting me go to a doctor soon (she thinks I have irritable bowel syndrome) and a new problem reared it's head -
I realised that I'd have no idea what to say to a doctor, and this is filling me with anxiety, to the point where I broke down today and passed out.
Does anyone have any advice with how to bring anxiety up with doctors?

Thank you soooo sooooooooooooo much for reading, any help is welcome :D

SamC
12-26-2013, 03:00 PM
Hey first of all welcome :D

What to do is make a list, right down how you feel, what symptoms you have, if easier for you can start a daily diary from now until you go, write down in it when you feel anxious and how you felt at that time and take that with you, makes it soooooo much easier to explain to the doc what your going through ....also ..... IBS tends to be a common illness on the back of anxiety so that will tie in with what you tell the doc.

Hope that helps a bit, sure you will get loads of tips from others on here too but if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Sam :)

Enduronman
12-26-2013, 03:04 PM
Take notes dear!
Write down the things that worry you, concern you, bother you, cause you this anxiety..
Then either let them read it, or you read it to them...
Do not try to hide this, be open, honest, transparent..you'll go way farther that way and get help that much faster.
Some, continue to hide these things from their own Doc's and other people, then type it all out here.
Problem is, we can't prescribe, we can only suggest...

Welcome Crumb Cake! :)

E-Man...

Crumble
12-26-2013, 03:07 PM
Thank you for such quick replies! I will start a little diary now, lists help my anxiety a looooot anyways :)

Enduronman
12-26-2013, 03:11 PM
I have 20 notebooks full of my own words, that no one else can understand..my thoughts, nightly. It helps! :)

jessed03
12-26-2013, 03:12 PM
^ As well as 20 threads on here no one gets ;)

SamC
12-26-2013, 03:16 PM
I have 20 notebooks full of my own words, that no one else can understand..my thoughts, nightly. It helps! :)

yeah cumble (or crumb cake as chosen by e-man lol) - please do not take 20 notebooks into your doctors with you will def get some funny looks haha 1 page or so will do nicely lol :D

Enduronman
12-26-2013, 03:23 PM
BHAAHA!! The notebooks "clear out" the thoughts, issues, concerns,..once they're communicated to the finger to write them, compose the feelings, minimize them, turn the page, and move on...NOT to take to the Doctor!!

What posts don't YOU understand J. Yoda??...You need schooled Son?..LMAO! :)

robotcat
12-27-2013, 02:22 AM
Notes are definitely a good idea. Very good.

When I finally broke down and went to the doctor here, I literally sat down, he asked what was wrong, I said "I have anxiety and I can't stop worrying. About everything. All the time. IT NEVER STOPS." and then I started crying. It was the exact opposite of how I wanted it to go, but he did help me.

Anyway...yeah. I recommend the lists ;)

Saida4
12-28-2013, 04:25 PM
lol funny...thats definately a joke

Enduronman
12-28-2013, 04:27 PM
OK! HI!

EmAn..:)