PDA

View Full Version : Brain structure link to anxiety

duddits
10-31-2005, 12:07 AM
People with a thicker ventromedial prefrontal cortex were better able to cope with stressful experiences.

A study conducted by the Masschusetts General Hospital suggests that people with a thicker ventromedial prefrontal cortex (vmPFC) were better able to cope with stressful experiences. The researchers findings maybe help explain why some people develope PTSD while others bounce back from traumatic events.

In the future, it maybe possible to measure a person's vmPFC to predict who more predisposed towards anxiety disorders.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4671483.stm

SuGaR!*
03-08-2006, 11:57 AM
i had a tramatic experiance about 8 years ago an i coped really well with that , my aniexty started i think bk about 4 or 5 yrs ago but i had nothing stressful going on so i dunno were it came from i remeber the day i just went all misreble tho i was always happy then one day i just didnt feel like spking then i became all self consous and shy.

Robbed
06-03-2007, 06:52 AM
i had a tramatic experiance about 8 years ago an i coped really well with that , my aniexty started i think bk about 4 or 5 yrs ago but i had nothing stressful going on so i dunno were it came from i remeber the day i just went all misreble tho i was always happy then one day i just didnt feel like spking then i became all self consous and shy.

Sometimes, the onset of PTSD can be delayed by months or even years. This could be the case in your situation. Ifyou have not already, you might want to talk to a therapist about this.

Also, how are you currently feeling? Is your anxiety getting better? Or is it still much like the day it began?

Winterbreeze
07-26-2007, 11:36 AM
What about the Amygdala? I heard it causes most Anxiety problems and should have an easy treatment?

DCPsychotherapist
09-08-2008, 07:01 PM
I think the studies that keep coming out are amazing...really helpful to address the inner critic that can start to burden a person with criticism about why they have symptoms, when in fact the body is doing what it is designed to do. Of course, the body can get stuck in negative feedback loops that make it too sensitive (ptsd and other anxiety symptoms) or too depressed.

culljosh
11-09-2008, 02:05 AM
Almost 2,000 views here but yet little replys
I find that odd.
I do understand the course of negative feedback loops with
a person with depression.

It seems once i get on that pattern that is it.
Its basically like my own body saying "its this way we
are going, and i dont care if your tired"\

Those loops seem like they can drag you on and on.

culljosh
11-09-2008, 02:05 AM
Almost 2,000 views here but yet little replys
I find that odd.
I do understand the course of negative feedback loops with
a person with depression.

It seems once i get on that pattern that is it.
Its basically like my own body saying "its this way we
are going, and i dont care if your tired"\

Those loops seem like they can drag you on and on.

FunPie
01-05-2009, 01:02 PM
While it is a fascinating discovery, my problem with this study, like many studies interpreted by journalists, is that they don't give much quantifiable data. How many people have this thicker ventromedial prefrontal cortex? If only 1% of the population fits the profile than it doesn't really do the rest of the world much good does it?

NancyD
06-05-2009, 08:04 PM
Hey Winterbreeze-
The Amygdala is another area of the brain that they believe is more sensitive in some individuals and therefore some people "over-react" to their environment. These people are usually very creative people also. If you want more information on the brain check out Dr. Amen in Newport Beach's website. He is doing thousands of brain scans and has the most up to date information on this.

Iridisis
06-13-2009, 05:17 PM
I was going to mention Dr. Amen. I find his work fascinating and have several of his books. I just can't afford to travel to his clinic and get a brain scan, not that I wouldn't LOVE to. I'd really like to know what this thing in my head looks like!!!

Anyone that hasn't heard of him, please check him out. There are online tests for ADD, etc.

I think it's www.amenclinics.com (http://www.amenclinics.com) (hope that's right)

04-10-2011, 08:09 AM
There's always more studies on mental illnesses coming out, but I don't think there will be a sure fire cure until we can read DNA well to match the individual with the proper medication. I hate drugs, even the legal ones mess you up half the time.

04-10-2011, 08:18 AM
While it is a fascinating discovery, my problem with this study, like many studies interpreted by journalists, is that they don't give much quantifiable data. How many people have this thicker ventromedial prefrontal cortex? If only 1% of the population fits the profile than it doesn't really do the rest of the world much good does it?

I agree they don't give enough information and I'm sure there's multiple brain abnormalities that could be the cause. Adolscents like me are all so clueless of any of the facts or science of any of this. Took me 12 years to figure out what I had. Even when they teach these topics in school, it's taught poorly and no science is covered.

Robbed
04-12-2011, 01:09 AM
I don't think there will be a sure fire cure until we can read DNA well to match the individual with the proper medication.

There are a couple of things to consider here. First of all, the current medications tend to be rather erratic in terms of their efficacy. Even if there was a way to read DNA so that we could learn how to better help people, this would be of little help when it comes to prescribing medications. The other thing to remember is that, even if you have the best of luck with medications, they are NO sure fire cure. In fact, they are not a cure at all. After all, you cannot be considered to be cured from ANYTHING if you still have to take pills - cured means the condition is basically gone.

murdoch
05-03-2011, 06:09 AM
I find no good in advising bunch of Allopathic medicines for medical issues like anxiety. One should first look towards natural Pathies to cure such diseases. For eg. Ayurvedic, yoga, meditation, accupressure etc.