PDA

View Full Version : SANE Chapter 2

Lee Grant Irons
12-22-2013, 02:41 PM
I just publicly released chapter 2 of my book, "SANE - Reclaim Your Life." It gets more into what I went through early in the freefall of my mental and physical illness, and what I did to start getting better. It contains stories from my life, as well as a description of the methods I used. I am doing this to help other people, and so I am publishing it on my book blog which is open to the public. Here is the link: http://sane-book.blogspot.com/. Please fel free to read both chapter 1 and chapter 2 and let me know what you think, or ask me any questions you like.

Ponder
12-22-2013, 09:35 PM
Hi Lee,
That is very kind of you to offer such insights. You have worked hard on this. I have not yet read it all - but will attempt to do so some time later. I often battle not to be so skeptical yet some how often fall by the way side. I seek not to play into being happy or unhappy, although I do wish to live in peace. I feel this is not a popular or accepted concept - I don't't know - I do know however that It's good to see others working so hard to help others.

Again - I will have a read a bit later - and let you know what I think.
Thank You
David.

Lee Grant Irons
12-22-2013, 10:15 PM
Hi David,

Thank you fro your thoughtfulness. I agree with you happiness is a difficult word to define. I too am struggling with my use of this word, and whether what I am feeling is "happiness" or "usefulness" or something else. I like how Andrew Solomon calls "vitality" the opposite of depression. But I definitely agree with you that peace is a good word. It is definitely possible to be at peace with ourselves and our condition.

Keep posting your deep thoughts. I enjoy reading them.

Regards,
Lee

Ponder
12-23-2013, 06:19 AM
Thank You Lee :)

Vitality is an excellent word. Logging that one in now. Also like the contrast in which it's brought to light here. This reminds me of hearing a phrase Eckhart Tolle used today on the podcast - something like "Peace is like the Good with no opposite" I like how some concepts enable people to find peace by accepting their condition - I think you understand that well and will save talking on such for another time. I would also like to talk more about this happiness another time as well, as I do not mean to advocate that people should not experience the good in life at all - but more so learn how to see things without attachments that so typically yield a negative response. Understanding how opposites work, and better yet - how not to manifest them; through detachment -can lead to a positive experience without the possibility for the negative to exist - because happiness is really just an illusion of the egoric mind set. Comes back to the experience of good without an opposite.

I don't't know - but I will now also check out the name drop you have given - Andrew Solomon There is no one way - I know that is really hard and even offensive to some people. On that note - I now go make cuppa - skim read before bed, but do a proper read in the morning and no doubt learn some more from yourself.

Thanks again Lee. Much appreciated to have an ear from such wise person as yourself. I've been wanting to have a read since I first seen you appear at this forum. Skim then a better going over tomorrow. I guess I can only feed back in what connects with me - take care

Dave.

Ponder
12-23-2013, 02:05 PM
I'm loving your introduction! I'm amazed at how easily I am able to read - great writing skills! I am getting a sense that a LOT of people are going to get a LOT out of this - still early into this, however I had to pop in here just quickly to say what a great piece of works this really is.

Going back in for more - I admit I was too tired last night - but morning is here now, and I giving this some quality time :)

PS, I love term and concept of free falling.

READING ,,,,,,,,

Lee Grant Irons
12-23-2013, 02:05 PM
Here is a link to Andrew Solomon's TED talk (http://www.ted.com/talks/andrew_solomon_depression_the_secret_we_share.html ).

Ponder
12-23-2013, 02:10 PM
arrr just caught you Lee :) ... thanks for that, I will save it as I have done your Blog. I used Blogger too. Going back to your Blog now - and making another cuppa I will be some time now, so wish you very good evening my friend & look forward to talking soon.

Ponder
12-23-2013, 02:50 PM
Well I just read chapter one. I'm no great book reviewer, but will settle down some, say with my original excitement and just tell you what came to my mind as I read.

First when I saw you hit the scene a few weeks back (the forum) I did glance some, but not as I did just then. I already said I was skeptical with the world and ... well, I thought back then; "not another up and go get em concept"

Again, your introduction sets the scene that many can relate too and despite my background being what others would deem total the opposite - I was able to see a lot of similarities between your family and mine. I know well much of your intro and applauded how such a delivery is going to resonate with many modern families of all backgrounds. The intro also explains well how so many of us come to find ourselves delving into the arena of Self Help Concepts/Books/Podcasts/Videos/Websites and many other avenues.

I felt as I kept reading, rather open now, as opposed to my usual skeptic outlook - I also had a sense of acceptance to where I thought you may or may not be alluding to with the concepts themselves, as many of us that have tried so many of these avenues, have indeed, been left wanting and in many cases; in more despair than when we first started.

I like very much the snippets that seem to confirm much of this for me as I kept reading - also I am seem to be either walking along the river that came to light with your metaphors - I might of even been just flowing down it - with how you brought acceptance into the picture - or perhaps the context into which you so elegantly finish the chapter of how one comes to such a position. I really like that kind of focus - again - despite my early apprehension weeks ago and also skeptic outlook, this is well written - something I can only hope to one day achieve myself - but more importantly - it was something that confirmed much for me and left me wanting to read on into chapter two.

I do that now.
Edit ... I have to clean my kitchen first - then I can read chapter two, with the proper attention it deserves.

Back in a few hours - or less.

Ponder
12-23-2013, 05:52 PM
This one is harder for me to sum up in terms of what I thought - The part on Health anxiety was too much for me (very long - like I often do!), however I can see how such would be great for yourself having noted all of those events, places and times. I often write for myself with such things and just take it as a bonus if someone wants to chime in and glean whatever they wish too. In this respect, whilst you have great insight to offer from your own exsperiances - like me, if I was aiming for an audiance other than myself, I would say - perhaps consider shortening the section with regards to the number of events that paint the free fallng experiance? Forgive me if I speak out of place - again - a am very longwinded myself - With my blogs, I do try to be as concise as I can, but still end up with rather long pieces.

I am gong to use some of your points to share mine -

Free falling: for me =

Unconsciousness
Continual Thinking
Continual Conditioning
Attaining (Money/Things/Status ...)
Seeking (Happiness/Bliss/Pleasantries/Pain free existence/immortality...)
Manifesting (Happy Experiences/Motivational Building/...)
Past - Future but Never Present
Perpetual fear driven living

...interesting - the recent statement on this forum "I stopped searching for answers" comes into a new light for me. To go from seeking to sharing - I ponder on that.
__________________________________________________ ___________

The Parachute Phase - Nice job - I like it. Especially the emphasis on work that must be done. No quick fixes.

The question? "What do I need to do to be happy?" For me - I feel resistance to such a query - It's a mind block moment for me. It raises the almost argument in my mind as to Why Not? Why not be happy Dave? What's wrong with not being happy? - Happy for me is Seeking and for me - Seeking leads to manifesting and well - to be honest - I don't have a problem with the Depersonalization that I think you raised as some kind of illness. This is where I think it all breaks down for me - I am all about dis-identifying from the mind and all to often in this modern age, our minds Ego - creates our personality with such superficial attachments that we think make us who we be.

For me, the pain of our conditions is what will either consume us, or ultimately make us aware to the fallibility to which we so often cling - all that stuff that eventually has us in that free fall position. To seek for something that feels good, requires that we experience the opposite so we can identify and know what good is - you can't have the happiness without the sad experience - It's just not worth the weight so many place on the attaining such an experience. So it is that real Joy comes from within - as it need not some external thing, emotion, and or aproval in order to know whether it is real or not. Its that Good that knows no opposite.

I did say - I don't really feel the need to seek happiness as such. None the less - I read on -> posible to dicover you have all this covered or perhaps a perspective that reveal a completly new look to open my eyes.

Lunch break for me :)

forgive me, as I seem to be losing myself in your Blog and also messed up your thread here.

Ponder
12-23-2013, 06:26 PM
Interesting strategies - Avoidance is listed as a negative symptom in a number of social phobia complexes, however I can see your reasoning here with removing ourselves - perhaps until we can learn to path our way through it at a later time. I do understand we need to expose ourselves, however there is such a thing as balance -

I need to break this up so will leave you to it now. Thanks for the journey - writing things down certainly does help - I'm not sure if such a route is for me, however I can see clearly how it would help others whom are willing to take the effort in helping themselves. I think it's more likely that whatever attributes of success that others would rate as beneficial, will naturally come - when I have reached that point in which I no longer seek - expect - or attempt to do those things listed as attain, aim, pursue, and on and on -

All external pursuits have become nothing more than a lie - an illusion - a controlling alluring source in which feeds the sick human condition which mankind fosters in order to keep gaining and acquiring - building riches and so on -

Again - thanks for the read - I enjoyed much - although I may seem not to of got the whole picture - I did try and I spent much time as I could with my span and all- Thank You very much Lee - I remain just another who really does not know - but happy to share whatever I have as well as accept others as they be.

Cheers Mate.

Lee Grant Irons
12-23-2013, 07:06 PM
Dave,

Just read your reviews. I was off shopping and then making dinner. Messy traffic here two days before Christmas, rush hour, and raining. Hope your kitchen cleaning has gone well. LOL

Thanks for the review. It is affirming to hear that you and me have come to some of the same realizations in chapter 1. And I am learning more from you and others on this forum as I read your own thoughts. It is all very enlightening.

Yes, I was wondering if the beginning of chapter 2 might have been too long. I was trying to get across the feeling of, "It just seems to never end. Just when you think it is bad, it gets worse." Believe it or not, I had already cut some stuff out. I'll see if I can trim some more. :)

A I posted earlier, I have been struggling with the concept and definition of happiness. Still formulating this is my head. I definitely appreciate the feedback, because you confirmed the very thing that was still bugging me too. So I am already doing some major editing of the "Happiness Is" section. What I intended to get across originally is that everyone perceives "happiness" differently. For some people, it is a feeling of peace. For others, pleasure. For others, it may be satisfaction. There are so many words that different people could use to describe when they are at their best. Fundamentally, though, I think it all comes down to our relationships. When our relationships with our family, friends, work mates, and environment that we interact with are good, then we are at our best. Whatever emotion we might feel at that time is our form of "happiness.

I'll let you know when I have rewritten that section. But I definitely appreciate your feedback. A critical eye is good for this kind of thing.

Cheers! :)

Ponder
12-23-2013, 07:25 PM
I will keep an ear out for sure Lee. I think it's great that your taking up the topic and or all topics involved in the way you have done. It will always be challenging to address these issues. I am thankful for having had the chance to meet you in this way. Definitely inspired in a lasting way. Hearing your intentions again with your response to me, hmmm - well - it's been yet more healing for me.

Connecting is the key I guess - :) TY

I hope others can chime in now - and have a say as well.

Lee Grant Irons
12-23-2013, 10:32 PM
I just updated the "Happiness Is" and "Happiness Is Not" sections in chapter 2. Definitely better. Gets more at the nuance of "happiness."

Updated the "Let It Go" section in chapter 2. It provides more information on "how" to let things go.

I still have to put more thought into shortening the autobiographical content at the beginning of the chapter. I am considering moving some of it into chapter 1, considering chapter 1 is so short.

Lee Grant Irons
12-26-2013, 08:48 AM
Working on chapter 3 today.

To join the discussion and get ideas and help on the information in the book, click on this link (click here) (http://anxietyforum.net/forum/group.php) and join the "Sane Life" group.

How do we maintain and improve relationships with people who have different opinions, life choices, politics, and religious beliefs than our own? How do we protect ourselves from going to that dark place that can only lead to separation, depression, and even anxiety in our lives? What is that "happiness" that we feel we should be having, but has been eluding us for so long? These are all things I am covering in my book, "SANE - Reclaim Your Life."

You can find the first two publicly released chapters at my book blog: http://sane-book.blogspot.com/. I have changed my book blog layout, making it easier to navigate. I am working on writing chapter 3 over the next couple of days. Hoping to have half the book written by the end of the first week in January. Hoping that donations will keep up with chapter publications. LOL But iff not, so be it. I want to get this book out so I can help as many people as possible. Please share the below link. I think this could help many people.

In the chapters ahead, you will learn about my pursuit of the sanity I so desperately needed, and how it lead me back to the person-hood I had lost, to a sense of stability in my life, and even to a measure of happiness. I provide examples from my life and the lives of other people I have helped with this knowledge. I provide real tools that you will be able to use to solve your own intractable problems. Fellow seafarer, there is hope.

jessed03
12-26-2013, 05:56 PM
How long does it take you to write a chapter, Lee?

Lee Grant Irons
12-26-2013, 07:39 PM
How long does it take you to write a chapter, Lee?

I have the entire book outlined already. I have all of the material in pieces, considering I have been working this out for the last 8 years. It is just a matter of putting it together and making it flow. I can typically write the first draft of a chapter in 2 days.

Lee Grant Irons
01-13-2014, 10:04 PM
I have just finished editing the new chapter 2. It deals strictly with the uncontrolled spin of anxiety during a freefall. I am hoping you guys like the metaphors and the ideas presented for getting control of anxiety. I would love to hear you comments. Here is the link to chapter 2 (click here) (http://sane-book.blogspot.com/2014/01/chapter-2-controlling-spin.html).