PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety over oxygen level

MrsJ88
12-21-2013, 01:15 AM
So I got sick Tuesday then by Wednesday it made my asthma go crazy, had to go to ER in middle of the night... There they gave me oxygen cause my level was 91%, 3 steroids, and 2 breathing treatments and even then my oxygen level was like at 93% (supposed to be 98 or higher) they sent me home with steroids after 3 hours and my oxygen then was 94%. The next day I had to go to minor ER because I just couldn't breathe at all and was using my inhaler way more often then every 4 to 6 hours. Oxygen level was 91 there too (it's as if nothing at the ER helped the night before) and so they gave me 2 more breathing treatments, diagnosed me with bronchitis after a chest X-ray, gave me a nebulizer so I could do treatments at home, prescribed an antibiotic and I was sent home.... Now that I've been taking all the meds for 2 days I cab breathe so much better BUT I bought an oximeter to measure heart rate and oxygen level at home and it says my oxygen is between 91-93 all the time even if I feel I'm breathing fine! What the heck??? The ER freaked out about it being that low. Even though I have bad asthma my oxygen level is still usually 98, I have no idea why it's staying between 91 and 93 which is apparently bad, so it's giving me BIG TIME ANXIETY!! Any insight??

worriedmummy85
12-21-2013, 01:30 AM
How many days anti biotics did you get? If a week I would say the infection is still not clear give it a couple more days check it again and if its still low then go back you may just need a diff anti biotic

Rickk90
12-21-2013, 01:43 AM
So I got sick Tuesday then by Wednesday it made my asthma go crazy, had to go to ER in middle of the night... There they gave me oxygen cause my level was 91%, 3 steroids, and 2 breathing treatments and even then my oxygen level was like at 93% (supposed to be 98 or higher) they sent me home with steroids after 3 hours and my oxygen then was 94%. The next day I had to go to minor ER because I just couldn't breathe at all and was using my inhaler way more often then every 4 to 6 hours. Oxygen level was 91 there too (it's as if nothing at the ER helped the night before) and so they gave me 2 more breathing treatments, diagnosed me with bronchitis after a chest X-ray, gave me a nebulizer so I could do treatments at home, prescribed an antibiotic and I was sent home.... Now that I've been taking all the meds for 2 days I cab breathe so much better BUT I bought an oximeter to measure heart rate and oxygen level at home and it says my oxygen is between 91-93 all the time even if I feel I'm breathing fine! What the heck??? The ER freaked out about it being that low. Even though I have bad asthma my oxygen level is still usually 98, I have no idea why it's staying between 91 and 93 which is apparently bad, so it's giving me BIG TIME ANXIETY!! Any insight??

Did you have any wheezing of some sort?
And hope you get better

Dweeb
12-21-2013, 01:50 AM
It may be that the infection is still in your body and the antibiotics havent kicked in yet. Give it a couple more days and if still no better then go bck to the hospital.

Hope you get better soon

gemma1788
12-21-2013, 05:57 AM
Are you wearing nail polish? Or are your fingers cold? These things effect the sats monitor, when my patients have a low reading we get them to sit forward take a few deep breaths and warm their fingers. If it's still low, we put it on their earlobe. If none of these things help it might be best to head back. Give the ab's some time to work, 93% isn't going to hurt you, people with pulmonary disease survive on 88-92% for years on end. If you have bronchitis, your ability to exchange the oxygen in your respiratory system is decreased, thus your oxygen saturation will decrease. Short term it is not a major problem, but it needs to be addressed if the underlying problem is not being treated appropriately with antibiotics/steroids/bronchodilators. Try not to stress, if your hands are pink (and not blue) you are doing well x

Enduronman
12-21-2013, 06:11 AM
Did any of these Doc's mention anemia? Are you anemic???....TBH, your skin color forced me to ask you this question...I had to ask...

artaud
12-21-2013, 06:31 AM
Are you wearing nail polish?

In extension to your informative post, something from the technical end.

https://www.amperordirect.com/pc/help-pulse-oximeter/z-pulse-oximeter-limitations.html

MrsJ88
12-30-2013, 06:33 AM
Did any of these Doc's mention anemia? Are you anemic???....TBH, your skin color forced me to ask you this question...I had to ask...

Not anemic... Been checked many times.