PDA

View Full Version : Reading into things

KitahD
12-19-2013, 09:21 PM
Does anyone get worried they are thinking there is a meaning in stupid things? I'm struggling to provide an example. I think the best way to describe it would be looking at the clouds and making images out of them. Take this concept and apply it to telling yourself something will happen if you make a green light. Or something will happen if the person you're talking to says what you think they'll say. I hope this makes sense to someone...

Lee Grant Irons
12-19-2013, 10:49 PM
Hi KitahD,

This sounds a little like obsessive compulsive disorder. Do you feel compelled to do any certain thing when you have these feelings, as if the doing of the certain thing will prevent something bade from happening?

KitahD
12-19-2013, 10:55 PM
I used to when I was younger...example: avoiding certain numbers because they were 'bad'. Currently, I try to a acknowledge the 'meaning' and try to play it off and switch my focus. However, I then wonder if I'm headed toward losing my sanity....

Lee Grant Irons
12-19-2013, 11:02 PM
I've been there... loss of sanity. LOL I would suggest that if you had this when you were younger and think it might be coming back, that you talk with your doctor/psychiatrist/therapist who should be able to help you with this.

artaud
12-20-2013, 05:40 AM
Does anyone get worried they are thinking there is a meaning in stupid things?

Magical Thinking. See if this describes what you're talking about?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magical_thinking