PDA

View Full Version : Eight hours after Ativan the Anxiety is back. IS THIS NORMAL??

Srm1135
12-19-2013, 04:49 PM
My new doc put me on 1mg of Ativan four times a day. I only take it twice though. I had a previous addiction to Xanax. I take one in the morning when I wake up to settle me down but like clockwork, eight hours later I have anxiety and OCD again. Is this how it's going to be the rest of my life. Reliant on a benzo to feel normal or will it go away?

Dweeb
12-19-2013, 04:52 PM
I was on benzos at that was the only thing that abled me to calm down. So i was really annoyed when the doctor wouldnt give me no more after a month and the anxiety come back full force.

Bt i'm doin better now and u'll be able to do the same aswel :)

Try takin 4 a day for a week
And then go down to 3 a day for a week
And then go down to just taking the 2 a day

Srm1135
12-19-2013, 04:55 PM
Problem is I'm just worried that the Ativan is the only thing keeping me sane. Irrational thought, I know. It still doesn't lessen the burden on my mind.

worriedmummy85
12-19-2013, 04:57 PM
My new doc put me on 1mg of Ativan four times a day. I only take it twice though. I had a previous addiction to Xanax. I take one in the morning when I wake up to settle me down but like clockwork, eight hours later I have anxiety and OCD again. Is this how it's going to be the rest of my life. Reliant on a benzo to feel normal or will it go away?

I have benzo's but I don't take them I have taken 2 out of the 28 I have they make me feel great but like you said 8 hours later I feel anxious and generally unwell but it is the aftermath of the benzo's kicking in a bit like a come down so you need more to bring you up

Have you ever tried to ride it out because the next day after a nights sleep without it i felt better I mean I wouldn't recommend it if you have taken 2 a day for a while

CrystalB
12-19-2013, 04:57 PM
SRM, I'm in the same boat. I've been on Xanax for years and at one point was almost at the maximum allowable dose. My body definitely has a dependency. I tried weaning down .25 every two weeks, but then a huge panic attack would send me back to square one. I wonder what the answer is and I'm scared and frustrated. I have tried several SSRIs in the past, but quit them because of side effects. I am considering them again. What are you considering as a possible alternative?

Dweeb
12-19-2013, 04:58 PM
I know exactly how u feel i'm just weaning of 1 of my tablets now and i get nervous about that thinking that my anxiety will return to how it was when it 1st started :(

But then i'll never now til i try and get off it and see that it wasnt just the tablet keeping me normal

And it'll only be for a week that your taking the recommended dose just give it a shot it could make u alot better and to the point u will only need the two a day

Srm1135
12-19-2013, 05:08 PM
My problem stems from withdraw. I went cold turkey from 150mg of Effexor and 8mg a day of klonapin. The past month has been absolute hell for me.

Dweeb
12-19-2013, 05:14 PM
Ive never had either off them tablets but its always best to wean from certain tablets rather than going cold turkey

And also only come from the tablets if your feeling 100% better

CrystalB
12-19-2013, 05:47 PM
My problem stems from withdraw. I went cold turkey from 150mg of Effexor and 8mg a day of klonapin. The past month has been absolute hell for me.

If I'm not mistaken, quitting a benzo cold turkey can be dangerous. Depending on your dosage, I've heard slow is the best method. Even that is difficult for me. I wish sometimes I had never started a benzo.

How are you feeling now?

Srm1135
12-19-2013, 05:55 PM
If I'm not mistaken, quitting a benzo cold turkey can be dangerous. Depending on your dosage, I've heard slow is the best method. Even that is difficult for me. I wish sometimes I had never started a benzo. How are you feeling now?

Meh. Everyday for the past month has been a struggle. The dr. told me I was crazy for going cold turkey. I didn't listen and I'm paying the price. This is my second time going through this too. I used to have a 12mg a day addiction to Xanax. That's why instead of taking the prescribed 4 Ativan a day I only take two.

Funny thing is. I was feeling like crap a half hour ago. Bad anxiety and thoughts, tool the Arivan and feel fine now. I hate/love how one pill can do all the fixing.

Terre Nova
12-19-2013, 06:47 PM

I'm right there with you!
I feel this way too... But i think that its just a feeling that we feel when our nervous systems are acting up!
<3

SSMommy
12-19-2013, 08:18 PM
Cold turkey Klonopin withdrawal is a f*cking nightmare in and of itself. I did this a year and a half ago but not from nearly as high of a dose as yourself. I suggest trying to taper slowly. Have you considered something more steady like a Zoloft? It definitely helped me when I needed it.

Srm1135
12-19-2013, 08:29 PM
Cold turkey Klonopin withdrawal is a f*cking nightmare in and of itself. I did this a year and a half ago but not from nearly as high of a dose as yourself. I suggest trying to taper slowly. Have you considered something more steady like a Zoloft? It definitely helped me when I needed it.

Been off the Klonapin cold turkey for a month now. So tapering is not an option. Although it would have been the smart thing to do.

Zoloft changed my life for the better when I was 21. Unfortunately, after being on it 10 years it stopped working. I'm now on 15mg of Lexapro. So far so good. And yeah, withdraw sucks.

robotcat
12-20-2013, 05:37 AM
I'm (kind of) in the same boat. I was just prescribed Klonopin/Rivotril .5mg 2x a day and I am scared to take that much. I've never been prescribed a benzo before but the doctor said to take it until the effexor kicked it. I've been taking 1/2 tab at night to help sleep and during the day if I feel I need it.

Srm1135
12-20-2013, 10:38 AM
I'm (kind of) in the same boat. I was just prescribed Klonopin/Rivotril .5mg 2x a day and I am scared to take that much. I've never been prescribed a benzo before but the doctor said to take it until the effexor kicked it. I've been taking 1/2 tab at night to help sleep and during the day if I feel I need it.

.5mg is nothing to be scared of. It's a very low dosage. You really won't feel it. Plus, it will help. Klonapin wasn't bad for me, it actually helped. It was when the doctor had me taking 8mg a day that things got out of control and I decided to stop. But you will be fine. Good luck.