PDA

View Full Version : Anger and anxiety

JustAnotherMe
12-18-2013, 04:51 PM
Evening folks.

This is not a normal trigger for me but work has been a particular evil week and we've had a lot of awkward customers (work on a technical support test). Long story story, I've had several abusive customers that have got my temper up. I am normally INCREDIBLY hard to get angry, I am really helpful to the point of going out of my way but we've had several customers who have been frustrated and just gone beyond the point of trying to resolve the issue and have just started acting like petulant children.

I don't mind frustration when trying to sort out issues but when you're acting like a sulking child because you can't be assed to do your job it really fucks me off.

The issue I have is that when I get really pissed off, and this is rare, the adrenaline kicks in and I strongly associate this with anxiety. I had to leave work for 2 days about a month ago due to anxiety and the feeling of having to flee the office due to that anxiety was strongly related to the adrenaline surge I felt yesterday. I actually threw down my headset (breaking it) and stormed off for 5 minutes to calm down. No-one said anything because they were aware the customer was being a ****** **** **** *** but I felt that it was so similar to my anxiety that I got quite emotional before I could return. Even though I knew I was not anxious.

Has anyone got any experience with anger issues triggering the adrenaline / anxiety response and do you have any tips?

I really don't get angry very often, to be honest it terrifies me the few times that I get really angry (3 times in 10 years) because I really hate the loss of control. I have issues because of my older brother suffering from schizophrenia and lashing out at us when I was younger and I'm aware of it but I'd appreciate any coping mechanisms.

Your help would be appreciated.

Enduronman
12-18-2013, 05:08 PM
I've had this my whole life!!! I and my youngest, are explosive as hell..all it takes is one tiny thing that we find off, odd, rude, disrepectful, obnoxious, and we snap..We don't hurt anyone, we just walk away but said person knows that they just messed up...:)

JustAnotherMe
12-18-2013, 05:11 PM
I've had this my whole life!!! I and my youngest, are explosive as hell..all it takes is one tiny thing that we find off, odd, rude, disrepectful, obnoxious, and we snap..We don't hurt anyone, we just walk away but said person knows that they just messed up...:)

But how do you deal with it when you can't tell the person in question that they are being a f*cking idiot? (because I'd get fired if I did!)

cls1033
12-18-2013, 05:19 PM
yes I can relate. I work in a jail so I am around people all day that hate me. anxiety and anger go hand in hand. one night I was working and was not busy and was going through all my reports. I had noticed my use a force incidents had really increased use of force is putting your hands on a inmate or fighting I have done both. any way I had noticed that those incidents had increased from 1 or 2 times a year to 3 or 4 times a month and many court dates. I also noticed that at that time my anxiety was high. so I have started making inmates look stupid in front of their buddy's simply by just agreeing with them and it makes work more fun. hope this helps some I could go on and on but I think you get what I am saying. need anything you can pm me anytime.

Enduronman
12-18-2013, 05:24 PM
yes I can relate.. so I have started making inmates look stupid in front of their buddy's simply by just agreeing with them and it makes work more fun.

CLS has the answer!

Just say "Wow sir/miss, you have a valid point! But, there isn't anything I can do about that, because I am not allowed or permitted to do so"...or "Yes, I completely and wholeheartedly agree with what you're saying, but, that is not real fact but I truly wish I could help you"...or..."Would you like to hear me say either of those lines to you again, because I surely will"....LMAO!! :)

cls1033
12-18-2013, 05:30 PM
CLS has the answer!

Just say "Wow sir/miss, you have a valid point! But, there isn't anything I can do about that, because I am not allowed or permitted to do so"...or "Yes, I completely and wholeheartedly agree with what you're saying, but, that is not real fact but I truly wish I could help you"...or..."Would you like to hear me say either of those lines to you again, because I surely will"....LMAO!! :)

making people that are pissed off look or sound stupid is funny as hell I do it all the time at work

Enduronman
12-18-2013, 05:39 PM
Friggin awesome!!! :D

JustAnotherMe
12-19-2013, 02:52 AM
Hey CLS thanks for your advise and kind offer for PM. I've tried it a few times (and yes it is hilarious) but maybe I need to start doing it more when I realise the customer is getting under my skin. I think I'm going to get angry regardless sometimes and i've got to accept that is okay sometimes, if someone is being a **** then of course I'm going to get angry. But putting it positively should help teach me that being angry doesn't mean I'm going to lose control and lash out at people, which I think is where my fear comes from regarding anger.

Thanks for your time guys. As always, you're a great help.