PDA

View Full Version : Need some help

Sentinelle
12-18-2013, 09:18 AM
Hi I really hope I could get some info with regards to the problems I am having. I have been feeling unwell starting this year when I go uphill or the stairs I get tightening chest pain on the left side going up my neck and sometimes even head along with shortness of breath and fatigue and blurry vision. I went to cardiologist and had some tests (echocardiagram, ecg, stress test, chest x ray) I was told it was anxiety or a pulled muscle but I don't think this is the case. I don't know what to do I can't workout anymore can't go out and drink because I'm afraid I will have a heart attack. I still feel these symptoms and I did find another doctor which said it was anxiety. I would like if someone could give me some insight on this if anyone feels like this or if anxiety can really do this.

vonnhelsing
12-18-2013, 09:28 AM
Anxiety is able to mimic every health issue.. if you have anxiety about having heart problems then soon afterwards you will start feeling chest pains and shortness of breath. This will make you freak out and cause a panic attack. Now your brain will condition itself to setting off an alarm any time you feel a twinge of pain in your chest. Its a cruel cycle.. you need to constantly tell yourself that youve done all the check ups and theyre fine and that its all in your mind.. I know its hard to believe that your mind can cause such severe symptoms but your brain is connected to all the main affected areas and a stressed out brain will affect the whole body..

Enduronman
12-18-2013, 10:00 AM
Yes, more than likely just anxiety but if you can convince your Doc to order an MRI of the neck and head, you can rule out cervical spine issues, nerves, disc, etc....It sounds like something in that area..:)

artaud
12-18-2013, 10:26 AM
Seriously, if I were you, I'd go to another cardiologist for consultation. Research and find one you can be confident in. He/she can get your test results from the other doctor, listen to your symptoms, and discuss the issue.

Tell him/her about the pain and shortness of breath, both in the left side and neck. Don't add too much more. If doctors hear too much, they start to dismiss your concerns since what many people discuss, symptom wise, may not be related. If you stick to the essentials, you may connect better. This was told to me and a class room of people by a doctor.

Regardless, you have been tested, you should be somewhat reassured. When you had the stress test, did you also have the pain? The test is usually on a treadmill, and the platform is elevated, it should have reproduced the circumstances you described.

If you did not have the pain, do you have any guess why not. If you did, what did the doctor say.

Sentinelle
12-18-2013, 11:47 AM
Yes, more than likely just anxiety but if you can convince your Doc to order an MRI of the neck and head, you can rule out cervical spine issues, nerves, disc, etc....It sounds like something in that area..:)

Already done that beginning of this year my friend and they found nothing! Apparently they tell me it's all in my head and I am a hypochondria and send me home!!

Sentinelle
12-18-2013, 11:50 AM
Seriously, if I were you, I'd go to another cardiologist for consultation. Research and find one you can be confident in. He/she can get your test results from the other doctor, listen to your symptoms, and discuss the issue.

Tell him/her about the pain and shortness of breath, both in the left side and neck. Don't add too much more. If doctors hear too much, they start to dismiss your concerns since what many people discuss, symptom wise, may not be related. If you stick to the essentials, you may connect better. This was told to me and a class room of people by a doctor.

Regardless, you have been tested, you should be somewhat reassured. When you had the stress test, did you also have the pain? The test is usually on a treadmill, and the platform is elevated, it should have reproduced the circumstances you described.

If you did not have the pain, do you have any guess why not. If you did, what did the doctor say.

Thanks for the reply. Yes doctors seem to know immediately that I have anxiety issues without even checking me out. I did have some of the pain during stress test but the test was brief and no shortness of breath. I am afraid to do anythinf that triggers the pain. I am having panick attacks every night due to this!!

Enduronman
12-18-2013, 12:14 PM
Whoa..

Ok then, what medications do you have, and which ones do you actually take?....:)

Sentinelle
12-18-2013, 12:31 PM
I don't take any medication because I am afraid to lose control therefore very bad panick attacks when I take meds. I know it's stupid but it happens to me and it's not funny. I try to do relaxation tecniques and excercise but nothing works. I am working with a psychologist CBT hope that will work but when I get the symptoms I just cannot convince myself this is anxiety!

trinidiva
12-18-2013, 06:04 PM
I don't take any medication because I am afraid to lose control therefore very bad panick attacks when I take meds. I know it's stupid but it happens to me and it's not funny. I try to do relaxation tecniques and excercise but nothing works. I am working with a psychologist CBT hope that will work but when I get the symptoms I just cannot convince myself this is anxiety!

What do you mean when you say you are scared to lose control?

Enduronman
12-18-2013, 06:07 PM
Good point..is there presently anything controlled?..IDK..:/

meganeveryday
12-18-2013, 07:54 PM

I think I know what you mean. I'm afraid to take medication because I'm worried that if I do, I won't notice symptoms of something serious. It's ridiculous that I feel this way, but taking medication causes more anxiety for me.

loganson28
07-01-2014, 01:41 PM
I know it's been 6 months. But any update on how you've felt sentinelle?