PDA

View Full Version : Antacids

CitrusTwist
12-17-2013, 01:55 PM
Hello all, just wanted to ask has anyone used antacids to ease abdominal tension caused purely by anxiety? I feel I have dealt with my anxiety however I can't shift the stomach ache. Anyone have any advice?

Enduronman
12-17-2013, 02:48 PM
Prilosec (omeprazole)...

The best one I know of...:)

artaud
12-17-2013, 03:07 PM
Prilosec (omeprazole)...

Great point.

Something I've not seen mentioned for short term acid (not the pain that some describe, but the acid itself) is Baking Soda.

http://www.armandhammer.com/solutions/solution-53/Antacid.aspx

This page lists how to take it, dosage, when not to use it, and cautions for people on sodium restricted diets. But when the spur of the moment needs something to kill the acid, this will do it. Be sure anything used for human consumption has instructions on the box to that extent.

Best to all.

Enduronman
12-17-2013, 03:09 PM
Yes I remember that remedy now, when I was younger and my mom would make me drink it..it can help if that's what you got.

Good one Artaud!

artaud
12-17-2013, 03:18 PM
Yes I remember that remedy now, when I was younger and my mom would make me drink it..it can help if that's what you got.

Good one Artaud!

It kills the acid, one or more huge belches follow, I think the doctor said that is a result of neutralizing the hydrochloric acid, producing Carbon Dioxide. A quick check shows that to be true. Yet, too much sodium is no good for you.

I agree, long term treatment with omeprazole.

CitrusTwist
12-17-2013, 03:39 PM
I believe what I have been experiencing is acute anxiety as I have never experienced it like this before, however as I know longer feel anxious yet am still experience stomach 'ache' I'm unsure the best treatment for it, whether it is due to acid or abdominal tension. It's just irritating because I haven't had negative thoughts all day except to think about my stomach.

Lee Grant Irons
12-17-2013, 04:27 PM
This could also be a side effect of depression medicine. Doctor had me on Nexium, until I read that depression medicine could cause symptoms similar to acid reflux. So I stopped taking my depression medicine (which did not seem to helping anyway), and my acid reflux pain went away.

If nothing seems to relieve the symptom, then it will ultimately get designated as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). I had IBS. Nothing helped it, until I got on the right thyroid medicine, and then my IBS went away within a week after having suffered it for 4 years.

Exactly what you are feeling is important.

1. Is it aching, burning, stabbing, nausea, or any combination of these?
2. Is the feeling you experience seem to be in the skin of muscles, or does it seem to be seep in you abdomen?
3. Is it high in your abdomen around your solar plexus (just below your sternum), is i in the middle of your abdomen around your belly button, or is it lower in your abdomen around your groin?
4. Do any other symptoms accompany it, such as diarrhea or constipation?

CitrusTwist
12-17-2013, 04:42 PM
It's almost like a near constant ache but sometimes it's dull other times it's quite obviously there. I also have a regular feeling of sickness in the back of my throat. It mainly feels like its occurs between my belly button and just below (centre) the rib cage. I am not on any kind of medication. It has only begun since my anxiety began about 4 weeks ago, it was far worse at the start leading me to be physically sick, so it has improved but now I feel my anxiety has nearly gone yet the stomach pain is the only reminder left.

Lee Grant Irons
12-17-2013, 09:37 PM
Sounds like bloating. Could be some gases coming up your esophagus. You might just try taking over-the-counter Tagamet for a few weeks and see if that clears it up. Tagemet cleared up my stomach after my first stressful semester in graduate school 27 years ago.