PDA

View Full Version : Talking to yourself out loud

zeshanhyder1992
12-16-2013, 10:22 PM
Lately when I'm driving home at night I usually suffer anxiety and stress due to fear of a heart attack or panic attack so I talk myself out of it. I say things like "Look here's whats's going on, your driving home at night everythings fine and it's all in your head. Your body thinks there's danger but there's really not so just relax and calm down" and it calmes me down and relaxes. Does this make me crazy or anything cause it feels kind of weird and makes me feel like i'm retarted.

vonnhelsing
12-16-2013, 10:36 PM
Hahahah nooo! It doesnt make you weird or crazy in any way. If it helps you be calm then by all means do it. I do it all the time and youre right it does help. Sometimes saying it in your mind just doesnt work so u gotta tell urself out loud. :)

jessed03
12-17-2013, 04:41 AM
Yeah, I'm not a hater of this at all.

A lot of sports people talk out loud to themselves in games. I've seen tennis players Murray and Djokovic do it. Ex no.1 Hewitt does it a lot too. I've seen Lebon James do it before shooting free throws.

It's a good way of focusing your mind. Like CBT but even more intense really, as you're saying out loud. Not weird. I think it's a helpful habit!

Wear a cheap Bluetooth headset if you're paranoid about what people that saw would think ;)

Ashlee13x
12-17-2013, 04:46 AM
I always talk to myself... panicking or not panicking! If anyones a retard - its me!

JustAnotherMe
12-17-2013, 02:44 PM
If it works, don't knock it :)

Laura09Jones
12-18-2013, 12:11 PM
I talk out loud to myself ALL the time! I talk myself out of anxiety attacks, rehearse conversations I'm going to have, and I also talk to loved ones who have passed on.

If we're crazy, I'm ok with that!