PDA

View Full Version : Stress-Echo Test.

artaud
12-16-2013, 07:04 PM
Just made it through another Stress-Echo. I do so hate having them done. Not that the test is too difficult, I'm always afraid of the findings. Been short of breath lately, so I went to the cardiologist, ergo the Stress-Echo. Did fine on it.

As I'm having the initial echo done, I'm laying there, heart throwing PVCs left and right, and the technician looks at the screen and says that I'll have to have contrast for her to image it correctly. OMG, she must see something. I told her good luck finding a vein. One nurse tried and gave up, another came in and found it finally, and they put in an IV port in my arm, just for a place to inject the contrast.

I never knew there was echo contrast, she said it was a lipid base substance. The pre-Stress echo, they inject the contrast and I can see some stuff appear in the heart. Weird. Eventually onto the stress test, throw a few PVCs initially, but things settled down. When I'm about spent, another injection, then rushed to the gurney, and she repeats the test while my heart is going really fast.

My cardiologist said everything looked OK. My PVCs behaved during the test, though I started throwing them as my heart was slowing. They had reams of EKG data streaming out of the machine. Then the words we all want to hear were said "you can get dressed and go home". You have no idea how much I feared this test, and again, not because the test was difficult, or painful, just because of my anxiety. Phew!

Enduronman
12-16-2013, 07:29 PM
A truly valiant effort and conquered!..

And great news too..:)

embrace123
12-16-2013, 08:42 PM
Congrats.. I hope this news happen for me when I have mine done.

JLBnole68
12-16-2013, 11:30 PM
Excellent! Good for you. Anxiety can run high during some of these tests. Not that the tests are anything to fear, just the worry until you hear everything's ok.

artaud
12-17-2013, 09:28 AM
I hope this news happen for me when I have mine done.

And I hope it does as well.

I just couldn't believe the anxiety, just before the test, while showering at home, I could almost not breathe at all. It was incredible, I was hyperventilating and could not (and still can not) take a deep breath. But the test, if I were younger and didn't fear the results, it's literally a cake walk.

For someone that's accustomed to fast walking, it would be nothing at all. The EKG leads were wireless, at least the small box worn at waist level, no need to fight with the leads to the machine itself.

I'm laying there before the stress test, throwing tons of PVCs thinking it was too bad I wasn't hooked up to the EKG, but I was, I forgot it was wireless, so all those nasty PVCs were recorded.

It's hard, even after we've been seen by a doctor and tested, to convince ourselves that something that feels so unpleasant is nothing to worry about, but the doctor doesn't even seem to take notice.

I have a negative T-Wave, every time I have an EKG the stupid auto interpretation feature says I had a heart attack. I can see it in the eyes of the person running the machine. (I'm talking at work or family doctor). Many Cardiologists shut-off the auto interpretation feature since not everyone has a rhythm that can correctly be interpreted by it.

I have seen cardiologists for years, they feel that it has to do with the way the heart lies in relation to the leads. I have to carry a copy of my normal EKG since the doctor said that if an emergency room did an EKG, they would admit me. So I need to be able to show them what's normal for me.

Indeed it did happen once while my wife and I were traveling, my heart got goofy and rather than take a chance I stopped at an ER in a small town. They were incredulous when they contacted my Internist (this was 30 years ago) and he told them to release me, and I was to take a little more Beta-Blocker for a few days.

Anyway, thanks to all for the responses.

Lee Grant Irons
12-17-2013, 05:50 PM
It is always better to know than to not know. Because with knowing comes the ability to take corrective actions if something is discovered. And corrective actions can make things better.