PDA

View Full Version : Safest anti depressant for patients with SVT

SSMommy
12-16-2013, 04:16 PM
Ok so I'm really starting to think I'm going to have to go back on my medicine. I took zoloft but quit about 3 months ago now. I am very nervous to as both of the times I started taking these medicines I had horrible bouts of SVT within days of starting them. One landed me in an ambulance, the other I had a holter on and laid in my bed thinking I was going to die. My only comfort was knowing that it was a benign arrythmia showing on the holter. Each one lasting more than an hour or heart rate greater than 150. I've read some things on here about some being less likely to lengthen and shorten specific portions of the beats and I was hoping someone might have some knowledge they could share.

Previously I was on lexapro.... Then had my pregnancy and baby... Then went on zoloft as my doctor said it had less cardiac interaction. I still had a bad reaction there.

Anyway --- looking for some advice.

trinidiva
12-16-2013, 04:29 PM
I had a bad reaction to Lexapro and am currently on the tiniest dosage of Zoloft ever....therefore I have to take it in liquid form. I also take Buspar 3x a day. You might try buspar if you can't tolerate the SSRI. It is extremely gentle and you can stop it without any withdrawals.

You might ask about that one..........

SSMommy
12-16-2013, 04:41 PM
Trinidiva - how do I get liquid form medication?? That is what I want... To start on the smallest dose possible.

SSMommy
12-16-2013, 04:42 PM
I just know my body is so insanely sensitive to this type of medication the thought itself worries me however I can't love off benzos... It's not for me and realistically I'll just end up upping the dose more and more.

SSMommy
12-16-2013, 04:43 PM
Live not love.... Sorry... Autocorrect

Enduronman
12-16-2013, 04:54 PM
benzo lover! :)

trinidiva
12-16-2013, 05:10 PM
Trinidiva - how do I get liquid form medication?? That is what I want... To start on the smallest dose possible.

I just told my doc that I am extremely hypersensitive to meds....so literally the dosage I am on is what my doc said he would give to a child who has OCD. I am currently on .25ml ( 5mg) of liquid zoloft once a day. You have to mix it with ginger ale or water before you take it. It does cost more but for me,its worth it.

trinidiva
12-16-2013, 05:11 PM
I just know my body is so insanely sensitive to this type of medication the thought itself worries me however I can't love off benzos... It's not for me and realistically I'll just end up upping the dose more and more.

Buspar isn't a benzo, btw. You still take it daily...but its in a class by itself.

Enduronman
12-16-2013, 06:05 PM
Have you ever been prescribed a beta blocker for this SS???...Just curious friend...:)

SSMommy
12-16-2013, 06:08 PM
Yes... I take metoprolol ER 50mg daily which pretty well controls the SVT.

Enduronman
12-16-2013, 06:14 PM
Excellent!!

I'm kind of an old timer, at 46,..so I always like to suggest the one AD that I believe set off this new wave of AD development first, and that is Prozac.. Then see where a patient needs to go from there.. That is just my opinion, as others have their own opinions too. I accept that.

So, you've tried Zoloft and Lexapro both and they caused issues with SVT???...Ever tried Prozac??

Enduronman
12-16-2013, 06:20 PM
To heck with that idea,..no wonder you have difficulties with AD's... here are your options.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21946596

Enduronman
12-16-2013, 06:27 PM
Zoloft, Effexor, and Remeron are not expected to cause any clinically relevant interactions with Metoprolol.....3 choices friend. :D

SSMommy
12-16-2013, 08:06 PM
Wow!!! Thanks for that link!

Enduronman
12-16-2013, 08:12 PM
You're welcome SS!

Kinda limits you to 3 choices, and you already know what Zoloft does..I have heard of people taking Effexor, just not many and I have never heard of Remeron but it sounds very interesting. A class all it's own.. cool! :)