PDA

View Full Version : Anyone taking Lorazepam?

carolyndstress
02-01-2008, 03:54 PM
I have been taking lorazepam for almost four months now, and they seem to be helping. I still get a bit anxious sometimes, but my panic attacks have stopped. If I'm right isn't it something like a generic version of Ativan? I started with one tablet at bedtime. Last week the Dr. upped the dosage to two times daily. Has any one had any problems with this medication?

guy_lafleur23
02-01-2008, 11:24 PM
Yes i'm on lorezepam... also known as ativan... I've been on this stuff for a year and 1 month. My dad passed away from a massive heart attack 2 days after x-mas of 2006... i gave him CPR but he died infront of me... i'll leave out the horrific details... this forever changed my life... i was 23 at the time, 24 now... i feel like i was too young to witness my father dying... anyhow... a week later i suffered my first panic attack which was terrifying, thought i was going to die on the spot... ever since then i've been on lorazepam... i use it for my panic attacks and my insomnia... My body has become dependant on the drug... if i don't take it at night... i can't sleep one bit... i only take .5mg most nights... but on the bad nights i take 2mg... i heard some people take up to 8mg a day everyday... mostly elderly people. But for us young guns, we shouldn't be needing this crap. I've done lots of research and talked to many doctors about this drug... nothing really bad stands out about it... except that you get dependant and it only covers up problems, it doesn't solve them. I won't lie however... i love how it calms me down and makes me feel like anxiety will never strike again. It also gives me sleep, so it's hard to not like it.
I'm trying other natural alternatives... i refuse to give in to anti-depressants that are so expensive. Doctors also hand out anti-d's like candy... even when you go to a walk-in and talk to a doc for 2 mins... next thing you know your on an anti-d for the next 6 months... i don't think G.P's should be prescribing that stuff... it should be therapists only... since they know more about their clients personal situation.
Sorry i'm getting off topic... but ya my experience with ativan is overal... good it has helped me through many nights... but now that time is healing my wounds a bit more... i want to come off of this drug but it's hard, since i like it so much.
Apparently, this stuff should only be prescribed for no more than 3 weeks... because after that you can get dependant... so it is a very short term drug... why am i still on it ??? i dunno, my doc let me i guess. But if your on a low dose... anything under 2mg a day, it is apparently to come off of.

Take care

Robbed
02-02-2008, 03:47 AM
i refuse to give in to anti-depressants that are so expensive. Doctors also hand out anti-d's like candy... even when you go to a walk-in and talk to a doc for 2 mins... next thing you know your on an anti-d for the next 6 months... i don't think G.P's should be prescribing that stuff... it should be therapists only... since they know more about their clients personal situation.

Tell me all about the way that doctors hand out SSRIs. I have been given samples by a COUPLE of doctors. They just seem all too eager to get you on this stuff. And what they DON'T tell you is that SSRIs can be even MORE addictive than benzos (like lorazepam) for some people.

In any case, rather than looking for something to substitute for lorazepam, I would look into some sort of CBT. Clearly, you are having issues with your father's death. And this needs some closure before you can heal and get on with your life. I highly recommend finding a good therapist here. Or at least try some good self-help material. You owe it to yourself to not be on medication for the rest of your life.

carolyndstress
02-02-2008, 11:57 AM
I'm soo sorry about your dad. :( Iknow that must hard for you. Yeah, but I was off of the lorazepam for 3 weeks and I was miserable. I couldn't sleep, I was very anxious, and my thoughts were racing. I was so glad when I was able to see the doctor and got my refill. He is by the way my primary care doctor. I dont have any medical insurance but I have found a place where I can see a therapist for free or for little or nothing. My condition has controlled my life so, that I couldn't hold a job. I do work, just not too much. Okay WAAAAY of the subject. :lol:

Robbed
02-02-2008, 07:32 PM
I'm actually surprised that your doctor is willing to let you continue to take lorazepam. Most doctors will only give you a short supply of it, and try to get you on SSRIs. Not that I think this is a problem. Personally, I thik SSRIs are MUCH 'creepier' than benzos.

cockroach
06-02-2008, 12:25 AM
hi.

I suffer from crippling anxiety disorder as well as Tourette's Syndrome 9which also feeds into the anxiety). It is a nasty concoction.

I way, however, that Lorazapam has been the only drug which has given me consistant and dependable results. I went to a new neurologist last year and he actually (suprisingly) suggested Lorazapam over the heaviest tranquilizers (aka : anti-psycholotics - used not for psychosis in my case but instead because they are the strongest central nervous system depressant available.

What was a real shock to me on this visit is that the new neurologists reason for not prescribing the traditional tranqs was that scientists are now finding that the anti-psychotics are increasingly proving more risky for actually CAUSING dopamine-related disorders such as "Parkinson's Disease".

Wow! It is so great to find this out after doctors had drugged me up the ass with the crap throughout my tumultuous adolescence.

Well. I guess I will just need to wait and see what sort of irreversible conditions will arise out of this as I proceed into my thirties. Already I am having problems with eye floaters, headaches and other annoying problems which will only increase with age.

Robbed
06-02-2008, 04:54 AM
What was a real shock to me on this visit is that the new neurologists reason for not prescribing the traditional tranqs was that scientists are now finding that the anti-psychotics are increasingly proving more risky for actually CAUSING dopamine-related disorders such as "Parkinson's Disease".

I haven't heard anything about antipsychotics causing Parkinson's Disease. BUT, they can cause tardive dyskinesia, which is a movement disorder that is sometimes permanent. When it comes to tardive dyskinesia, if you don't have a problem with it at this time AND are no longer taking antipsychotics, then chances are you are not going to have future problems if you never take them again. I cannot comment about Parkinson's, though.

quadracersteve
06-15-2008, 06:09 AM
I've been on it for a few days now and for me it has been the weakest of all the benzos. Even though it says it helps with motion sickness and the like and is also suppose to be one of the better ones at not upsetting the stomach I can feel, after about 15-20 minutes, my stomach getting queasy which lasts the entire time I'm on them. Am I the only one dealing with this?

Jombie
11-05-2008, 07:30 PM
I've been on Lorazepam for close to a year. It's the only thing that helps me sleep, plus it curbs my attacks.

I'm on a reeeeeeeally low dose though, only .5 milligrams, and I usually break it in half.

However, yesterday, I had a pretty bad attack. Probably on par w/ one of the first attacks I ever had. I took half of one, calmed me down for a bit, and then it wore off. Took another half, calmed me down for a bit, then I felf panicked again. Then, all of a sudden it just made me horribly groggy. It was the first time I had ever felt "doped up" w/ Lorazepam. So there I was, my chest was still tight, but my mind was sayin' "It's OK."

That was probably my worst experience w/ Lorarepam. Other than that, it's always been good.

shakeNtwitch
02-13-2009, 05:29 PM
I never noticed this thread before i started my own but I found even when taking 2mg at night i still didnt get to sleep. But the 1mg first thing in the morning was amazing it made me feel like my anxiety had completely gone then in the afternoon it would return, 1 mg in the afternoon took the edge off it.

toblerone36
02-17-2009, 12:00 PM
Hi,

I was first prescribed Lorazapam when my anxiety first manifested itself around 15 years ago, I've been taking it on and off ever since, on a fairly adhoc basis (for the most part very occasionally) .

About a year ago my anxiety went into overdrive when I developed some health problems and I've been on the drug constantly ever since. I would say that this is a fantastic drug for anxiety but beware of the possiblilty of addiction. I generally take 0.5 in the morning and the same again at night and it's been a life saver.

I've been on Effexor in the past and just found that it wiped me out and left me feeling really tired all the time, my Doctor has recently tried to get my on Citalipram but I found the increased anxiety in the short term too much to take.

I'm a big fan of lorazapam, for me it's been the best option.

I've also found CBT therapy and self help books a great help, I'm currently reading 'Embracing the fear' which is one of the better books out there.

joshesmama
02-17-2009, 09:06 PM
I took it for like a year or so. But, I stopped taking it for anxiety and only used it to help me sleep. It is not a very effective medication for sleep because your body builds up a tolerance for it. It works really well for panic attacks.

If I were you, I would not take it to sleep and only take it for anxiety. Ask your doctor to prescribe a sleep medicine for you.

shakeNtwitch
02-20-2009, 11:44 AM
The doctor said he would prescribe a sleeping tablet for me then 30 seconds later said its probably best to keep the amount of different chemicals in my body down to a minimum and upped the lorazepam to 2mg at night which didnt help. I still cant sleep and am using benadryl its driving me crazy any suggestions? I feel like if i go back for sleeping tablets he'll think im seeking drugs

stillhopeful
03-04-2009, 06:12 PM
I have some Lorenzapan and choose not to use it. I was first given this at the emergency room for my anxiety. If I have a bad panic attack I may use it but don't want to get hooked on it. I don't think I'd be comfortable driving while under the influence of it either.

Shanti
03-07-2009, 10:53 AM
People, just be very very careful with it. It is one of the most addictive sedatives we have. I never give it to young people!!! It elevates the mood, true. Yet, no matter how strong you are soon, soon you will need to up the dosis!

NO LORAZEPAM

Please!

Take care

ur
Doc