PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody focus constantly on there heartbeat

fisher
12-15-2013, 09:04 AM
I am driving myself mad,since i started with anxiety 10yrs ago my focus was my heart goin fast and feeling it beating hard,i have been good the last few yrs,i had a baby last yr and i did hate the palpitations then but since i wasnt well the other week i have started focusing on it,i was in work the other day and i work on a ward in a hospital and as soon as i came off my break i had to go downstairs and get something came back up and my mind is thinking my heart is goin fast and when i stopped on the ward my heart was goin fast and thumping so hard i felt panicky but u couldnt notice i was,it took about 10 mins to calm down,but even when i first wake up of a mrng i instantly think my heart is gona go fast,its true u can make it go fast yourself,i have had quite a few tests done on my heart over the yrs but am thinkin again now theres something up because i can feel my heart all the time and get palps,is anybody else like this,i dont want it to take over

artaud
12-15-2013, 11:08 AM
I am driving myself mad,since i started with anxiety 10yrs ago my focus was my heart goin fast and feeling it beating hard...is anybody else like this,i dont want it to take over

Seems to be a common concern among members here. I've suffered from palpitations since I was in my mid teens 40 years ago and still have them. I used to post comments on an arrhythmia forum and saw what others members posted and the tests they received and in some cases the medicine they used.

I get hundreds to thousands of Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) every day. Some of the members on the arrhythmia forum even had as many as 10,000 per day with no treatment.

I think that anyone that doesn't normally have irregularities in their heart rhythms should visit their doctor if they notice one (premature beats [more than a few occasional ones], unexpected fast rate, unusually slow rate, etc.). Anyone that normally has an irregularity that has previously been documented as benign or harmless that notices a worsening of the irregularity should also see a doctor.

They are a common sign of stress and anxiety though.

JamieByatt
12-15-2013, 11:42 AM
Hi there,

I also focus on my heat rate constantly, from waking up in the morning to going to bed at night I obsess. I use everything else as a Distraction but ultimately I'm just using everyday tasks as a distraction.

I attended CBT last year which did help for a while but I've relapsed somewhat and have forgot and no longer able to apply the same coping methods. I find that taking myself away from the environment where the severe levels of anxiety began and sitting on my bed in low light and a little background noise from outside helps. I use my breathing exercises and eventually bring my heart rate down. The longer I spend trying not to stop myself from obsessing the worse I will feel and eventually start to run on pure adrenaline. I spent hours with a high BPM the other day and had to go to my emergency doctor as I was unable to gain control. As soon as I was around people and taken out of the environment where the increased heart rate began I started to relax.

Has anyone got any useful advise on stopping these obsessive thoughts please I would be interested to here.

Thanks

fisher
12-15-2013, 12:13 PM
thanks for the reply everyone,i might go the docs tmrw to see if i can get my bloods done,i find eating food sometimes gives me palps,we should stay in touch and give each other tips on how to reduce the fast heartbeat x

JamieByatt
12-15-2013, 12:33 PM
thanks for the reply everyone,i might go the docs tmrw to see if i can get my bloods done,i find eating food sometimes gives me palps,we should stay in touch and give each other tips on how to reduce the fast heartbeat x same again, I get the same after eating larger or high fat dishes. I eat little and often now, can still enjoy the same foods but smaller portions this helps with the palps. Let me know how you go on with the doc. I start my second course of CBT tomorrow, wish me luck.

Jamie

JamieByatt
12-15-2013, 12:37 PM
Seems to be a common concern among members here. I've suffered from palpitations since I was in my mid teens 40 years ago and still have them. I used to post comments on an arrhythmia forum and saw what others members posted and the tests they received and in some cases the medicine they used. I get hundreds to thousands of Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) every day. Some of the members on the arrhythmia forum even had as many as 10,000 per day with no treatment. I think that anyone that doesn't normally have irregularities in their heart rhythms should visit their doctor if they notice one (premature beats [more than a few occasional ones], unexpected fast rate, unusually slow rate, etc.). Anyone that normally has an irregularity that has previously been documented as benign or harmless that notices a worsening of the irregularity should also see a doctor. They are a common sign of stress and anxiety though.

To echo you here, I have been checked by my doc and been told there is nothing physically wrong but you should always check with your doctor where the heart is concerned. It may be that you are worsening an underlying condition with your anxiety or visa versa and your anxieties are causing the palps etc

artaud
12-15-2013, 01:11 PM
I eat little and often now, can still enjoy the same foods but smaller portions this helps with the palps.

My palpitations had a plus side, I can't smoke, drink alcohol, and I have to use caffeine sparingly if at all, otherwise the palps worsen, which causes more anxiety, which worsens the palps, etc. Even though the arrhythmia is considered benign, I have a lifetime of not smoking due to them, not a single cigarette.

That's why I think Klonopin, used sparingly, has been a lifesaver to me, I can't unwind with a few social drinks, benzodiazepines do not aggravate my arrhythmia.

As you said, overeating worsens them, again this Thanksgiving I paid for this.

JamieByatt
12-15-2013, 01:24 PM
My palpitations had a plus side, I can't smoke, drink alcohol, and use caffeine sparingly if at all, otherwise the palps worsen, which causes more anxiety, which worsens the palps, etc. Even though the arrhythmia is considered benign, I have a lifetime of not smoking due to them, not a single cigarette. That's why I think Klonopin, used sparingly, has been a lifesaver to me, I can't unwind with a few social drinks, benzodiazepines do not aggravate my arrhythmia. As you said, overeating worsens them, again this Thanksgiving I paid for this. I've never looked at drugs for arrhythmia. I may have. Chat with my doc. I was out for a meal the other night with friends and when visiting the gents noticed how fast my heart was beating.

jkb
12-15-2013, 01:25 PM
After a meal my heart rate often elevates, it's probably normal just to begin digestion as it's usually first meal is the main culprit, but it's enough to make me panic a bit which is difficult to control.
I recently quit smoking and shortly after my anxiety came to the surface thick and fast. I read up on that as smoking can replace the natural stress dealing in the mind, so when it's gone body can have difficulty getting normal.
A couple years back when last I quit smoking, it was because of chest pains and what I thought were palpitations, but I had checks EKG etc and all fine, no irregularities. Wasn't until this time around I discovered I have full blown anxiety issues.
I get chest pains which don't help the thoughts about the heart, but I've had it so long that I cope with it better than I once did: panicking and crying and trying to be sick but couldn't.

artaud
12-15-2013, 01:32 PM
thanks for the reply everyone,i might go the docs tmrw to see if i can get my bloods done,i find eating food sometimes gives me palps,we should stay in touch and give each other tips on how to reduce the fast heartbeat x

Good idea, tips on reducing it and coping with what we have, anxiety wise.

JamieByatt
12-15-2013, 01:40 PM
After a meal my heart rate often elevates, it's probably normal just to begin digestion as it's usually first meal is the main culprit, but it's enough to make me panic a bit which is difficult to control. I recently quit smoking and shortly after my anxiety came to the surface thick and fast. I read up on that as smoking can replace the natural stress dealing in the mind, so when it's gone body can have difficulty getting normal. A couple years back when last I quit smoking, it was because of chest pains and what I thought were palpitations, but I had checks EKG etc and all fine, no irregularities. Wasn't until this time around I discovered I have full blown anxiety issues. I get chest pains which don't help the thoughts about the heart, but I've had it so long that I cope with it better than I once did: panicking and crying and trying to be sick but couldn't. JKB, I experience very similar issues. I quit smoking also I few years back and not to long after anxieties started to surface. What are your coping methods. I'd be interred to chat further.

Thanks

jkb
12-15-2013, 02:49 PM
Yeah smoking as far as I know relates to replacing the normal brain functions of coping with stress. Smoking can also be attributed to conditions like acid reflux and GERD, increasing general heartburn and what I believe to be these chest pressure and pains.
My coping methods? I'm so used to them now that *most* of the time I just accept it. I've been through the panic phase with that, went to A&E once it got so bad and you just don't know what's going on.
Alcohol always makes it worse, a hangover meant a stressful day of chest pains. I rarely drink now, it's through choice mostly but I know it will not help my anxiety condition at the moment too.
Hangovers used to accelerate the problem dramatically, but then I became very healthy and it didn't anymore, but right now I'd bet it'd be awful again due to heightened anxiety.

I can say the obvious things like calming techniques (if I ever need to calm down, I use an app called anxiety free on iOS, I paid for the full version which goes straight into the self hypnosis session, the mans voice soothes me very much) but in terms of the chest issues, it's learning to accept it, you start with thinking its a heart attack or something similar but then 3 years down the line it is just whatever it is.. (Anxiety/acid/heartburn, a combination of) and it's definitely not anything more than that.
Getting to the point where common sense takes hold over such things is the key, but it takes practice of realising "hey I'm being a total idiot, I've just got heartburn basically!". Obviously get it checked by a doc, get a blood pressure and EKG and let them listen to your heart rate, I even had a chest x ray! That's how far I went with it, so probably why I am so good at coping with this in particular now, I've had all the checks.

AmberGbenga
12-15-2013, 03:43 PM
I fear quiting smoking.. It's been my release since my trauma.. Bloody horroble

JamieByatt
12-15-2013, 04:08 PM
Yeah smoking as far as I know relates to replacing the normal brain functions of coping with stress. Smoking can also be attributed to conditions like acid reflux and GERD, increasing general heartburn and what I believe to be these chest pressure and pains. My coping methods? I'm so used to them now that *most* of the time I just accept it. I've been through the panic phase with that, went to A&E once it got so bad and you just don't know what's going on. Alcohol always makes it worse, a hangover meant a stressful day of chest pains. I rarely drink now, it's through choice mostly but I know it will not help my anxiety condition at the moment too. Hangovers used to accelerate the problem dramatically, but then I became very healthy and it didn't anymore, but right now I'd bet it'd be awful again due to heightened anxiety. I can say the obvious things like calming techniques (if I ever need to calm down, I use an app called anxiety free on iOS, I paid for the full version which goes straight into the self hypnosis session, the mans voice soothes me very much) but in terms of the chest issues, it's learning to accept it, you start with thinking its a heart attack or something similar but then 3 years down the line it is just whatever it is.. (Anxiety/acid/heartburn, a combination of) and it's definitely not anything more than that. Getting to the point where common sense takes hold over such things is the key, but it takes practice of realising "hey I'm being a total idiot, I've just got heartburn basically!". Obviously get it checked by a doc, get a blood pressure and EKG and let them listen to your heart rate, I even had a chest x ray! That's how far I went with it, so probably why I am so good at coping with this in particular now, I've had all the checks.

Can you tell me whether you have smoked cannabis in the past?

I've read some of your previous posts and a lot of what your describing in there are the symptoms I've had. Increased heart rate after meals, chest pressure and tensions, chest pains and anxiety issues when hungover.

My main problems are when I go to bed and after eating or during the afternoon dip at work.

At night if I have even the slightest twitch in my chest it will trigger me off, I'll start to panic then boom panic attack.... Sometimes if I don't the panic attack under control quick enough then the symptoms will last for hours draining my body completely leaving me fragile for days.

After a heavy or fatty meal I'll get increased heart rate which I know is perfectly natural but if I allow myself to focus on this ill set off my anxieties. I speak to a guy in Holland and I know that the health care across there is a lot better than ours and he mentioned omeprazole. I suffer with a lot of acid reflux etc whilst in bed. He listened to a lot of what of what I was saying and told me that his brother had very similar issues and was pretty much cured after taking this. Maybe I need to look into this...

I've had various breathing issues since I was younger which never help with anxiety as when I'm struggling with that I just trigger off the anxieties.

I know that the anxieties send my blood pressure all over the place so will probably need something to get that under control also. I've had tests on my heart and told everything's clear. I

Let's keep an open blog, I'd like to here more from you and your experiences. I'm here if you need a rant, cry etc. I find typing and getting it out helps so always here. Good luck

jkb
12-15-2013, 04:23 PM
Can you tell me whether you have smoked cannabis in the past? I've read some of your previous posts and a lot of what your describing in there are the symptoms I've had. Increased heart rate after meals, chest pressure and tensions, chest pains and anxiety issues when hungover. My main problems are when I go to bed and after eating or during the afternoon dip at work. At night if I have even the slightest twitch in my chest it will trigger me off, I'll start to panic then boom panic attack.... Sometimes if I don't the panic attack under control quick enough then the symptoms will last for hours draining my body completely leaving me fragile for days. After a heavy or fatty meal I'll get increased heart rate which I know is perfectly natural but if I allow myself to focus on this ill set off my anxieties. I speak to a guy in Holland and I know that the health care across there is a lot better than ours and he mentioned omeprazole. I suffer with a lot of acid reflux etc whilst in bed. He listened to a lot of what of what I was saying and told me that his brother had very similar issues and was pretty much cured after taking this. Maybe I need to look into this... I've had various breathing issues since I was younger which never help with anxiety as when I'm struggling with that I just trigger off the anxieties. I know that the anxieties send my blood pressure all over the place so will probably need something to get that under control also. I've had tests on my heart and told everything's clear. I Let's keep an open blog, I'd like to here more from you and your experiences. I'm here if you need a rant, cry etc. I find typing and getting it out helps so always here. Good luck

I have smoked cannabis in the past, yes. Around 5-6 years ago I would do so each weekend with a friend. I've touched it increasingly less since, most recent being last NYE, probs once a year for like the last 3. I have no plans to touch it again.

I've also been recommended that by Enduronman on the forum, I'm literally going to get some tomorrow and see if it lessens any of my conditions, you can get it over the counter. I have anti indigestion and heartburn tablets but they don't have that ingredient. No doc ever told me about the ingredient other than "anti acid tablets" none of which helped so maybe this will be the ingredient I've been missing all along, I will report back tomorrow.

Yeah I still get muscle spasms in my left pec, which is obviously worrying, plus stabbing pain right through to my back, pressure, feels like an air bubble, I get it all.
But I'm just experienced with it. I have it right now as I type this, mostly what it does is give me discomfort and a slightly elevated heart rate at times or my heart beats will feel more strong like it's having an effort. At times I'm confused as to whether I get palpitations, I had an EKG a couple years ago and at that time with similar problems it didn't show anything of the sort so I'm fairly sure I don't actually get that.

It seems the acid reflux is a part of anxiety from what I've researched, so I'm going to actively seek out new ways to combat both. Tomorrow I will be trying the omeprazole and see how that goes.

Thanks friend same to you just PM me any time I'm often on here at the moment because I'm bed ridden currently ha

JamieByatt
12-15-2013, 04:50 PM
I didn't realise you could get it over the counter, that's great news, I'll be down the pharmacy tomorrow. I've been going down the herbal route at the minute and using alms, St. John's wart etc and they seem to make me feel better, hey if it's a placebo I don't give a F as long as I feel good. Even if I have a good week and stay relatively calm I still have the tensions in my chest, I understand that what feels like chest pressure could be caused by the reflux issues and also contributed by the fact that I'm causing the chest tensions with my anxiety.

I start my CBT tomorrow so will let you know how this goes. I'm sorry to here that it's left you pretty much bed ridden. I've been signed off work also until the new year but have tried my hardest to stay active and positive. Some days I feel like the safest place for me is bed but at the minute I'm refusing to stay there and doing so and trying to live as normal life as I can is helping. Try your best to do something that you'd do normally each day before the anxieties took over. I know it's hard and I know at first it will make you feel worse but it gets easier throughout the day and you feel better for it. You can look back on your day and say 'hey I went to the supermarket today' F you anxiety. Above all make sure your talking to people and keeping your mind busy. I tend to overthink everything but if I just go out and do it then it's easier. Keep moving forward and do one positive thing a day, I find it helps. Sitting in bed just makes me feel like the anxiety won that day, the next day I just remind myself of that and end up getting into a vicious down spiralling thought pattern. Keep winning

jkb
12-15-2013, 05:01 PM
I didn't realise you could get it over the counter, that's great news, I'll be down the pharmacy tomorrow. I've been going down the herbal route at the minute and using alms, St. John's wart etc and they seem to make me feel better, hey if it's a placebo I don't give a F as long as I feel good. Even if I have a good week and stay relatively calm I still have the tensions in my chest, I understand that what feels like chest pressure could be caused by the reflux issues and also contributed by the fact that I'm causing the chest tensions with my anxiety. I start my CBT tomorrow so will let you know how this goes. I'm sorry to here that it's left you pretty much bed ridden. I've been signed off work also until the new year but have tried my hardest to stay active and positive. Some days I feel like the safest place for me is bed but at the minute I'm refusing to stay there and doing so and trying to live as normal life as I can is helping. Try your best to do something that you'd do normally each day before the anxieties took over. I know it's hard and I know at first it will make you feel worse but it gets easier throughout the day and you feel better for it. You can look back on your day and say 'hey I went to the supermarket today' F you anxiety. Above all make sure your talking to people and keeping your mind busy. I tend to overthink everything but if I just go out and do it then it's easier. Keep moving forward and do one positive thing a day, I find it helps. Sitting in bed just makes me feel like the anxiety won that day, the next day I just remind myself of that and end up getting into a vicious down spiralling thought pattern. Keep winning

Well you can here in the UK, boots have it called "acid reflux gastro-resistant tablets". Depends on where you are possibly with chemicals these days!
Is CBT cognitive behavioural therapy? Defo let me know, I'm gonna get on a waiting list for that soon.
I'm not fully bed ridden, I was yesterday but I'm enjoying being in my safe place ha. But tomorrow I plan to as you say be more active, going to try and go for a walk etc in the hope that the anxiety doesn't get full grasp on me. I'm just getting over the heightened anxiety from starting meds though but we'll see how it goes.

JamieByatt
12-15-2013, 05:30 PM
Well you can here in the UK, boots have it called "acid reflux gastro-resistant tablets". Depends on where you are possibly with chemicals these days! Is CBT cognitive behavioural therapy? Defo let me know, I'm gonna get on a waiting list for that soon. I'm not fully bed ridden, I was yesterday but I'm enjoying being in my safe place ha. But tomorrow I plan to as you say be more active, going to try and go for a walk etc in the hope that the anxiety doesn't get full grasp on me. I'm just getting over the heightened anxiety from starting meds though but we'll see how it goes. yes it is cognitive behavioural therapy. I had some sessions last Christmas and they pretty much stopped my attacks so I know that it works I just think that I need some top ups as my anxieties and ticks have evolved since then. I'll pop into boots tomorrow and if I get my hands on some I'll let you know how it goes. I was put on sertraline last week but couldn't deal with the heightened anxiety and ending up paying a visit to the emergency doctor as my BPM was up for 7/8 hours. What drug are you on at the minute and when are you taking them? I was given doxepim (I think) by my GP but haven't started these yet and don't plan to as long as the herbal mess keep working. What is your diet like at the minute? I hope you manage to get out for your walk tomorrow let me know how this goes.

JamieByatt
12-16-2013, 03:54 AM
Is CBT cognitive behavioural therapy? Defo let me know, I'm gonna get on a waiting list for that soon. .

Been for my first session today which was more of a consultation rather than beginning the CBT. Still it helped as I got to explain a lot of my anxieties, triggers, behaviours, thoughts etc. which helps with piecing together why I worry and get anxious and the circle of mental and physical issues caused. One thing I will tell you is they are against drugs as they act as a blocker for the therapy. The therapy is all about confronting your anxiety head on without the use of drugs or techniques to numb your anxieties. They explained that the drugs and techniques used to stop anxieties and panic were reinforcing my anxiety and making it bigger and harder to overcome. Yes they will stop the panic but the next time it happens I will need this external aid to stop it. If you can confront it at its worst and ride it out without any aids (drugs) or behavioural techniques then the next time you are anxious the anxieties will be less and less intense. It sounds scary and will be but I think I'm ready for the fight.

Hope your doing well today

jkb
12-16-2013, 11:08 AM
Been for my first session today which was more of a consultation rather than beginning the CBT. Still it helped as I got to explain a lot of my anxieties, triggers, behaviours, thoughts etc. which helps with piecing together why I worry and get anxious and the circle of mental and physical issues caused. One thing I will tell you is they are against drugs as they act as a blocker for the therapy. The therapy is all about confronting your anxiety head on without the use of drugs or techniques to numb your anxieties. They explained that the drugs and techniques used to stop anxieties and panic were reinforcing my anxiety and making it bigger and harder to overcome. Yes they will stop the panic but the next time it happens I will need this external aid to stop it. If you can confront it at its worst and ride it out without any aids (drugs) or behavioural techniques then the next time you are anxious the anxieties will be less and less intense. It sounds scary and will be but I think I'm ready for the fight.

Hope your doing well today

I'm glad you're feeling positive from what i seems.
Hey man if you think you're ready then you probably are, I'm just about getting used to my meds and feeling a bit better today, been social and been out the house etc today which has helped a lot.

Consult with your doc again before going for it, just to get an understanding of how ready they think you are to come off meds completely, I understand the techniques behind it you need to learn how to control it all by yourself which would be a very powerful tool, its just about being ready to go down that route, think on it and get further advice before you make a final decision.

Good luck in your fight for freedom!

JamieByatt
12-17-2013, 08:53 AM
I'm glad you're feeling positive from what i seems. Hey man if you think you're ready then you probably are, I'm just about getting used to my meds and feeling a bit better today, been social and been out the house etc today which has helped a lot. Consult with your doc again before going for it, just to get an understanding of how ready they think you are to come off meds completely, I understand the techniques behind it you need to learn how to control it all by yourself which would be a very powerful tool, its just about being ready to go down that route, think on it and get further advice before you make a final decision. Good luck in your fight for freedom!

I never really started the meds. Had one sertraline then felt I'll, haven't touched drugs since. I'm staying really positive about the CBT and I'm excited by the prospect of being able to manage this by my own again. I purchased some omeprazole yesterday but I haven't felt the need to take any yet. Kind of I nice feeling to know I have them there if I need them.

How are you doing today? Hope your doing well

Sharon18
12-17-2013, 10:34 AM
I do....boring ... Im obsessed with my chest.

lmr019
12-17-2013, 12:44 PM
I have been checked over and over again. Wore a heart monitor, had ultra sounds, countless EKGs and NADA!
We just obsess over it because we trick ourselves into thinking there is something wrong. When really, we're totally fine!
Once u hear your heart beat you start the obsession. The obsession causes the panic and the forget it....
Just relax have some tea and watch your favorite movie. It gets your mind off of it.

jkb
12-17-2013, 01:38 PM
I have been checked over and over again. Wore a heart monitor, had ultra sounds, countless EKGs and NADA! We just obsess over it because we trick ourselves into thinking there is something wrong. When really, we're totally fine! Once u hear your heart beat you start the obsession. The obsession causes the panic and the forget it.... Just relax have some tea and watch your favorite movie. It gets your mind off of it.

This all over.

JamieByatt
12-19-2013, 09:15 AM
I have been checked over and over again. Wore a heart monitor, had ultra sounds, countless EKGs and NADA! We just obsess over it because we trick ourselves into thinking there is something wrong. When really, we're totally fine! Once u hear your heart beat you start the obsession. The obsession causes the panic and the forget it.... Just relax have some tea and watch your favorite movie. It gets your mind off of it.

Well said, only trouble is my obsessive thoughts begin as soon as my head hits the pillow. No distractions in bed so eventually my mind begins to focus on my heart rate and I begin to look for any twitch, pain, spasm etc. to set me off. Heart rate elevates, then the palps, then the panic. Adrenaline kicks in then bye bye sleep