PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety in the Army

HarryK
12-15-2013, 05:22 AM
Hey all my name is Harry i'm 19 I myself have anxiety, but it doesn't seem to me to be a lot or that serious at the moment, it doesn't stop me from doing things but its just there, I have had small panic attack at work (fast food) but it didn't seem to be that serious, when it happened I asked for a break, calmed down and went back to work, still feeling anxious and a bit shaken, but every time I went back to work I would have rushes of anxiety and I would get that panicing feeling, but I forced myself to work, I ended up quitting mainly cause I hated the environment. I also had another serious episode far back when I was 15, I was really depressed and also experiencing a lot of intense anxiety, experiencing snowballing thoughts and basically just loosing a lot of weight and motivation, I'm pretty sure it was brought on by worrying about this girl who was leading me on and also puberty, trying to get used to changes. I had to go on medication for about a year and it fixed me right up, I stopped medication and I seem to be fine now, learning from those experiences. But I really want to do join the army as a combat engineer, I feel I can do it, I'm very good with my hands and seeing shapes, also have good coordination. I was wondering what would happen if a person like me with a small amount of anxiety had a traumatic event and got PTSD, would it be a lot worse then a person with not as much anxiety or none? I've researched a lot about PTSD and couldn't find an answer to my question any where, I was wondering if someone might be able to help me out.

alankay
12-15-2013, 08:30 AM
I think that's impossible to predict. You might be more predisposed to anxiety but maybe or maybe not anything like PSTD.
Sometimes it's the guy you least expect that develop it. One of those things.
Seems we are out of the large scale combat for a good while I hope but know knows. Alankay

AmberGbenga
12-15-2013, 03:30 PM
My partner is in the army as a CE. He has PTSD. It is good to have abit if anxiety while in the field, keeps you sharp, and helps in life or death situations as you would experience while deployed. My partner has anxiety but he is pretty good at hiding it as many soldiers are. Fact is, you wouldn't be alone in the army.. Alot of soldiers suffer with anxiety and PTSD. I have PTSD but it Dosent really help my job haha it is hard to say if it would make it worse or not, but it would be great for your mental and you would have alot of support.

vonnhelsing
12-15-2013, 10:24 PM
Dont let anxiety stop you from doing something you really want to do. The key to fighting anxiety is not letting it interfere with your life. It'll be hard in the beginning but in the long run for it. Do whatever makes you happy!