PDA

View Full Version : Contemplating returning to work on monday...and very anxious about it!

kris123
12-14-2013, 01:51 PM
I've been off work for the past 3 weeks. I've been on my meds now for almost 2weeks. I still have anxiety, however, I find if I am busy doing something, anything, it's not as bad and I cope with it better. But I'm so worried about going back to work. Everyone will ask questions and what if I have an attack and I can't calm myself down. I feel like I need to get back to my routine sooner rather than later. I feel the longer I put it off anxiety is winning. I'm not sure what to do. Any advice?

Steven Daws
12-14-2013, 02:20 PM
Getting back to work is a tough thing to do, but it is better the sooner you can do it. I always found that the longer I left it, the harder is was. I found that most people either don't mention it, or are genuinely concerned when you go back. Is your manager going to be there to help you?

You are going to worry about it, but after that first day, it will get easier. :)

kris123
12-14-2013, 02:26 PM
Getting back to work is a tough thing to do, but it is better the sooner you can do it. I always found that the longer I left it, the harder is was. I found that most people either don't mention it, or are genuinely concerned when you go back. Is your manager going to be there to help you? You are going to worry about it, but after that first day, it will get easier. :) yeah. I know that. My manager has been very good so far. I'm sure she will assist me in anyway she can to get through the day. Plus, one of my fiends who also works with me knows what's going on and could be a good support person for me. I just feel like the longer I lie around doing nothing the longer it will take me to get over it.

Enduronman
12-14-2013, 02:34 PM
If anyone asks, you had to prep for the holidays, then walk away...Merry Christmas!
Take your Ativan too!
and eat food..and your green tea and water as well...
You got this Kris!

kris123
12-14-2013, 02:41 PM
If anyone asks, you had to prep for the holidays, then walk away...Merry Christmas! Take your Ativan too! and eat food..and your green tea and water as well... You got this Kris! thanks! I really appreciate your enthusiasm.

jkb
12-14-2013, 03:03 PM
I bet the fact that you can occupy yourself and your mind now shows that you are becoming ready to do just that once again, and that's what work is all about and what can be a good thing about it, it constantly occupies your mind for an entire day, using it and giving it tasks to do, all of which surely are great for mental stability. Giving it something to do will only make it more tired and less likely to wander :)

JustAnotherMe
12-14-2013, 03:16 PM
"I feel like I need to get back to my routine sooner rather than later."

This. Work can, weirdly, help, even if the associated stresses seem terrifying. I have several quotes on my phone from various support people that I turn to when it just seems too much. The main one I go to is simple. "One thing at a time." Take one task you need to work on at work and just make that your world.

With regards to people asking, yeah that's the scariest thing for me. You know what I ended up saying to some people? "No offense but i'd rather not talk about it". Be polite, but be firm. Yes, people may wonder but there are far more fascinating things out there and their attention will soon wander. For the people you really trust at work then by all means open up but you don't owe anyone a 100% open explanation. You choose what to tell, you are in control.

The other thing I am coming to realise is to pace yourself. For me at least anxiety makes me just want to throw myself into every task at 150% and I actually believed for a while that it was helping, to go at 150% pace all the time. My productivity went mental and yes I was burning that extra energy but there is no way that I could sustain that pace. Don't be afraid to take a minute to just slow down now and again. Anxiety doesn't own you, you're in control. Even if it doesn't feel like that sometimes.

Beyond that, have a little belief in yourself. The fact you're going back to work, the fact that you're facing all of this and still stepping forward, one small step at a time, is actually amazing. People without anxiety have no idea what we have to go through day in day out. What you are going through is actually making you stronger though, even if it doesn't feel like it some days and yes there will be some days where you take backward steps. But you're surviving and mate, that's pretty fucking amazing.

Chin up. Go get them.

kris123
12-14-2013, 03:35 PM
Thank you all. I hope I'm not making a mistake by going back too soon, but I recognize the need to fill my time with productive things, otherwise I'm preoccupied with the anxiety. So, I'm guessing this is a positive step to overcoming my anxiety. We'll see how it goes.

JustAnotherMe
12-14-2013, 04:03 PM
Keep us informed Kris. It's important to recognise your accomplishments, because we so often just focus on our failures.

kris123
12-14-2013, 04:17 PM
I will indeed! Either it'll be an epic fail and I'll need to vent or it will be a victory and I will want to share that with you all!

Steven Daws
12-15-2013, 06:17 AM
I hope it goes well :)

kris123
12-15-2013, 06:29 AM
I hope so too. I'm having a lot of anxiety about it today...I don't know what to do. But I know the longer I put it off the harder it will be. If I don't to it tomorrow, then I will still be anxious about it the next day. I feel like I just have to do it and prove to myself that I can. I'm just so worried that I won't be able to calm myself down if I feel overwhelmed.

Enduronman
12-15-2013, 06:34 AM
Take a klonopin or ativan or whatever you have, and STOP anticipating it and creating all this unecessary apprehension because NOTHING that you think is going to happen, will happen anyway!!!.....OR, go hang out with Rob Ford for a day and get all jacked up!!!...LMAO! Smile and be thankful Kris12379! :)

Steven Daws
12-15-2013, 06:37 AM
It is natural to be anxious about it, I used to get very worked up before I went back to work. You have people there that can support you which is really good, they will be able to help. Maybe you can set up a kind of action plan with them so that if you feel you are getting too anxious, they will take you for a walk or something to help you calm down again. I used to have a plan similar to that, because I would get anxious that I would have a panic attack and have no where to escape if i needed to. It made the worry of being at work easier because I knew I could fall back on it.

kris123
12-15-2013, 06:40 AM
Take a klonopin or ativan or whatever you have, and STOP anticipating it and creating all this unecessary apprehension because NOTHING that you think is going to happen, will happen anyway!!!.....OR, go hang out with Rob Ford for a day and get all jacked up!!!...LMAO! Smile and be thankful Kris12379! :) haha. I know it's just the anticipation of going there. I'm sure it will be fine, but I can't help worry about it.

kris123
12-15-2013, 06:42 AM
At this point, I feel like I have too much idle time. Just sitting here, thinking, worrying. It's getting to be to much. I just have to get on with my life. Either the anxiety will fade eventually or I will have to learn to live with it. I have no other options. That's it.

Steven Daws
12-15-2013, 06:45 AM
You will command and conquer :)

Enduronman
12-15-2013, 06:46 AM
I am an anxiety addict.

Imagine, my dismay, when I was told that I had to be an announcer at a theatre for a program in front of a sold out house of 500 people, and I didn't know s**t about what I was supposed to announce...I did it. AND, it was a friggin blast too!....I didn't think about it until the curtain opened.

Yer just going back to a familiar place, with familiar people, familiar friends, familiar collegues, and you'll be just fine.

"Safe Room"???.....plan...

Enjoy this day, no presentations in front of 500 strangers..Yay!!

Gotta go shopping now, look out cuz here I come world! :)

kris123
12-15-2013, 06:48 AM
I am an anxiety addict. Imagine, my dismay, when I was told that I had to be an announcer at a theatre for a program in front of a sold out house of 500 people, and I didn't know s**t about what I was supposed to announce...I did it. AND, it was a friggin blast too!....I didn't think about it until the curtain opened. Yer just going back to a familiar place, with familiar people, familiar friends, familiar collegues, and you'll be just fine. "Safe Room"???.....plan... Enjoy this day, no presentations in front of 500 strangers..Yay!! Gotta go shopping now, look out cuz here I come world! :) I will definitely speak to my manager tomorrow about a "plan" as soon as I get there. Enjoy shopping.

peza2013
12-15-2013, 06:57 AM
I feel worse not being at work.

When im in work Monday-Friday im distracted from my anxiety, come the weekend it hits harder.

Chin up, get back into work, and remember that no matter how hard today was, tomorrow you get another shot!

kris123
12-15-2013, 07:06 AM
I feel worse not being at work. When im in work Monday-Friday im distracted from my anxiety, come the weekend it hits harder. Chin up, get back into work, and remember that no matter how hard today was, tomorrow you get another shot! thanks. :)

jessed03
12-15-2013, 07:19 AM
Good luck kris!

kris123
12-15-2013, 07:27 AM
Good luck kris!my anxiety is through the roof today. I'm not sure if I can do it.

jessed03
12-15-2013, 08:40 AM
Anxiety is usually just anticipation based. Unease about being unable to influence things because the future is always something we can't get to.

Sometimes when you're doing stuff, and you're active, it goes away lot. You may find when you're there, and involved in your work, you feel better, like Peza.

kris123
12-15-2013, 08:54 AM
Anxiety is usually just anticipation based. Unease about being unable to influence things because the future is always something we can't get to. Sometimes when you're doing stuff, and you're active, it goes away lot. You may find when you're there, and involved in your work, you feel better, like Peza. that's what I'm hoping for. I find that I need to be doing something. The more I lay around, thinking about the anxiety that I'm having, the worst it gets. Oh my, when will this be over!

jessed03
12-15-2013, 09:02 AM
What is it you do, kris? :)

kris123
12-15-2013, 09:03 AM
What is it you do, kris? :) I'm a nurse. Highly stressful environment on times.

anxiousga
12-15-2013, 11:26 AM
Hey kris! I am going through the same thing!! I only went to work one day last week, because I was so afraid of losing it at work. I have to go in tomorrow. I know exactly what you mean about getting back into your routine. I feel like sitting around is the worst thing we can do, because we think and obsess about it too much. BUT because we are so anxious it makes it hard it get up and so something. Good luck to you tomorrow!!! I know you can do it!!!

kris123
12-15-2013, 12:42 PM
So, just to let you all know. I couldn't handle the stress of going into work tomorrow so I called in sick.

jkb
12-15-2013, 01:09 PM
Kris, don't worry about it, if you don't feel ready then you're not ready. If that's the choice you made, then it is the right choice. Tomorrow instead of thinking on it, decide you're going to get something else done, find something else to focus on doing in the comfort of your home, whatever it might be, take up a new hobby! Something time consuming to keep you busy. Preferably not something that may increase possibilities of you preferring to stay in more, though.
Take it easy :)

kris123
12-15-2013, 01:11 PM
Kris, don't worry about it, if you don't feel ready then you're not ready. If that's the choice you made, then it is the right choice. Tomorrow instead of thinking on it, decide you're going to get something else done, find something else to focus on doing in the comfort of your home, whatever it might be, take up a new hobby! Something time consuming to keep you busy. Preferably not something that may increase possibilities of you preferring to stay in more, though. Take it easy :) yeah. I definitely think I need a hobby.

JustAnotherMe
12-15-2013, 01:13 PM
So, just to let you all know. I couldn't handle the stress of going into work tomorrow so I called in sick.

Okay Kris, thank you for keeping us informed. Try to do something with your day tomorrow that gets you out of the house. Depending on how many people close to you know your situation, maybe see if you're able to go out on a walk with someone. I was in the same situation as you a month ago and it really did me good to get out of the house and out of my head.

I won't lie, going back was really hard work but the feeling when you beat a day back, when you realise you have done it and come out the other side, that's pretty good. It won't be over in a day but you start to build momentum and that's a pretty good feeling.

Keep us informed, we're routing for you.

jkb
12-15-2013, 01:13 PM
Do you exercise Kris?
It really is the number one natural cure IMO. Tiring out the body helps the mind focus, and tires it out, helps the body produce chemicals that will literally relieve anxiety, I've been reading up on it! Tomorrow I'm thinking of starting a new workout to just help me do something normal again.

kris123
12-15-2013, 01:18 PM
Do you exercise Kris? It really is the number one natural cure IMO. Tiring out the body helps the mind focus, and tires it out, helps the body produce chemicals that will literally relieve anxiety, I've been reading up on it! Tomorrow I'm thinking of starting a new workout to just help me do something normal again. No, I haven't been. But I'll try that tomorrow. A brisk walk on the treadmill maybe? Do you think that would be adequate? I know the outside would probably be better, but it's far to cold in my neck of the woods.

kris123
12-15-2013, 01:19 PM
Okay Kris, thank you for keeping us informed. Try to do something with your day tomorrow that gets you out of the house. Depending on how many people close to you know your situation, maybe see if you're able to go out on a walk with someone. I was in the same situation as you a month ago and it really did me good to get out of the house and out of my head. I won't lie, going back was really hard work but the feeling when you beat a day back, when you realise you have done it and come out the other side, that's pretty good. It won't be over in a day but you start to build momentum and that's a pretty good feeling. Keep us informed, we're routing for you. Thanks. I will keep you informed. I feels good to have this type of support. Makes you feel less alone.

jkb
12-15-2013, 01:30 PM
Yeah, a brisk walk for 15 minutes as a bare minimum would be brilliant! Get up and get on that treadmill, just enough so you feel warm, no need to over do it.
Each day keep doing it, increase the amount of time each day, and progress on from there. Moving to outdoors will be the big step to aim for definitely. Then increasing exercise amounts.

Tiring the body tires the mind. It truly is magnificent.

The reason I know is because at a time of having intense chest pains (and not at the time understanding that it was in fact anxiety) I decided to change my life around, I stopped smoking, drinking so much, and began getting a lot of exercise and I can honestly say I had never felt so good in my entire life, full of energy and happiness.
Injury from that time has sent me on a downward spiral, but as of tomorrow I also plan to exercise so lets do it together and report back! Anything will do wonders. I'm gonna try go for a walk in the street, see how that goes.

kris123
12-15-2013, 01:41 PM
Yeah, a brisk walk for 15 minutes as a bare minimum would be brilliant! Get up and get on that treadmill, just enough so you feel warm, no need to over do it. Each day keep doing it, increase the amount of time each day, and progress on from there. Moving to outdoors will be the big step to aim for definitely. Then increasing exercise amounts. Tiring the body tires the mind. It truly is magnificent. The reason I know is because at a time of having intense chest pains (and not at the time understanding that it was in fact anxiety) I decided to change my life around, I stopped smoking, drinking so much, and began getting a lot of exercise and I can honestly say I had never felt so good in my entire life, full of energy and happiness. Injury from that time has sent me on a downward spiral, but as of tomorrow I also plan to exercise so lets do it together and report back! Anything will do wonders. I'm gonna try go for a walk in the street, see how that goes. ok deal! I will hit the treadmill tomorrow:) good luck with your routine! Look forward to hearing about it.

jkb
12-15-2013, 02:37 PM
No doubt we can help each other back into normality through exercise. Let's do this Kris!! Report back tomorrow. :)

kris123
12-15-2013, 02:42 PM
No doubt we can help each other back into normality through exercise. Let's do this Kris!! Report back tomorrow. :) I certainly will!