PDA

View Full Version : Feel like an idiot

RecurringThoughts
12-12-2013, 08:29 PM
I probably just contributed to antibiotic resistance... I have been suggesting from itchiness and irritation on a certain part of my body and was using bacitracin zinc on it on and off for a while thinking it might help heal the abrasions I was getting from itching faster. I completely ignored the "don't use more than 1 week" label because I didn't think about the reason for the warning. I know this is silly, but this mistake is making me feel really stupid and paranoid about being susceptible to serious infections :/

Terre Nova
12-13-2013, 12:59 AM
I probably just contributed to antibiotic resistance... I have been suggesting from itchiness and irritation on a certain part of my body and was using bacitracin zinc on it on and off for a while thinking it might help heal the abrasions I was getting from itching faster. I completely ignored the "don't use more than 1 week" label because I didn't think about the reason for the warning. I know this is silly, but this mistake is making me feel really stupid and paranoid about being susceptible to serious infections :/

Just stop using it! You'll be just fine :)
Anti-biotic resistance come from the non organic milk and cheese and if you're a meat eater the meat.. Always go Organic and you can wipe that fear away like now..

JLBnole68
12-13-2013, 01:11 AM
I think there's probably an extremely low risk of antibiotic resistance from a topical ointment. I wouldn't worry about it.

Enduronman
12-13-2013, 05:41 AM
I think there's probably an extremely low risk of antibiotic resistance from a topical ointment. I wouldn't worry about it.

Agreed^^....

artaud
12-13-2013, 05:52 AM
Actually, bacteria is essential to keep other organisms in check. Bacteria can get out of control at times, but if problems exist due to organisms that are normally consumed by bacteria, indiscriminately killing bacteria will may actually worsen your problem, not relieve it.

From an online Q&A Site:

"Bacitracin is an anti-bacterial. The use of anti-bacterials can actually*worsen*fungal infections because they cause an imbalance in the natural bacteria that resides in us. Decreased harmless bacteria, therefore, allows the natural level of fungus to multiply and turn into an infection.Many infections (in certain areas) have similar symptoms and can come from many different sources (fungal, protazoan, etc) so you should check with a doctor to determine which you have."

RecurringThoughts
12-13-2013, 07:15 AM
Actually, bacteria is essential to keep other organisms in check. Bacteria can get out of control at times, but if problems exist due to organisms that are normally consumed by bacteria, indiscriminately killing bacteria will may actually worsen your problem, not relieve it. From an online Q&A Site: "Bacitracin is an anti-bacterial. The use of anti-bacterials can actually*worsen*fungal infections because they cause an imbalance in the natural bacteria that resides in us. Decreased harmless bacteria, therefore, allows the natural level of fungus to multiply and turn into an infection.Many infections (in certain areas) have similar symptoms and can come from many different sources (fungal, protazoan, etc) so you should check with a doctor to determine which you have."

I know! That's why I feel so stupid. It wasn't that I was thinking of effects, so much as hoping for this irritation to go away. I'm seeing a doctor in January and will mention it to her then. Thank you!

And thank you, to everyone else for the reassurance!