PDA

View Full Version : Just Venting

meichmann
12-11-2013, 07:39 AM
I've had Anxiety and Panic disorder practically my whole life. With all the research I've done on both and all the different methods I've tried to either cut the episodes down or out altogether, I am still dumbfounded about it. How is it that when the most stressful times of my life, my anxiety or panic never rears it's ugly head (Right now I am having financial problems and problems with in-laws. On top of that my father is in ICU after bladder cancer surgery), but when I am completely at peace...BAM!

I just had a single heart palpitation. I haven't had one this bad in a long time. When it hit it made me a little dizzy and made my palms sweat, but I recovered quite quickly. Usually the panic sets in right after but it didn't.

I've made some simple changes in my life to help cope:

1) Take a multivitamin twice a day (Once at lunch and once when I go to bed)
2) Put a soothing channel on when I go to bed (don't laugh but I usually put on the Disney Junior channel since my son loves to watch it)
3) Listen to some chillout music at work (if you don't know what chillout music is, it's a combination of jazz, slow, and ambient dance music)
4) Be more thankful and grateful to people and express those thanks

The list goes on and on.

I just don't understand the underlying mechanics of it. My Psychologist says that the process to heal from anxiety and panic is a long process. I have been seeing her for 3 months so far and we have made some very big steps. I know I shouldn't rush it but I just wish we could get this recovery process over. I don't see me finishing my sessions for at least another 5 months. I want to get to the bottom of what's causing them and get rid of it.

I am so glad I found this site. Finding a place where people understand what we're going through is a big help in the recovery process.

Thanks for letting me vent. I hope everyone gets healthy soon!

jessed03
12-11-2013, 07:54 AM
I hope you get healthy soon too meich! I'm glad to hear you're making some significant steps in a stubborn case. It sounds like your psychologist is pretty good! That's always a help.

It's ok hearing the words, reading the positive replies, but sometimes it's as simple as not wanting to deal with the BS of it anymore. I'm glad you find it helpful to vent!

I do believe a part of anxiety stays true to that saying 'The devil makes work for idle minds'... Sometimes during times of stress you can become very zen, very focused on other external stuff, that life seems a bit smoother. I remember a period of debt I had years ago actually being very peaceful for me, as the thought 'How do I get out of debt' was far easier to deal with than 'How do I cure this stubborn anxiety and get healthy again?!'... I was busy thinking through financial plans, I missed most of my anxiety symptoms... It's a funny old condition at times.

I hope you keep making those big steps in therapy anyway, and your frustrations at things is allowed to lessen!

Enduronman
12-11-2013, 01:23 PM
I usually watch SpongeBob...seriously. Congrats with your successes friend!