PDA

View Full Version : When/How to start seeing a psychiatrist???

blondie28
01-29-2008, 09:36 AM
I am pretty new to the forum and I have been spending a couple of days going through all the topics and reading everyones posts and it has definitely been a relief to know that other people feel the exact same way that I do.

I will be 23 in a couple of weeks and I have been dealing with my anxiety for almost 2 and half years. For the most part it has been manageable but since probably October of 07 it has reached an all time high. I can no longer do anything and I pretty much stay home in fear of having an anxiety attack. I used to be able to go to stores as long as someone is with me same thing with driving but now it doesn't matter who is with me I still can't do it and end up avoiding places all together.

I was thinking that maybe it would be time to see a psychiatrist and be put on meds just to help me move along. I do not want to be on meds for the rest of my life but I feel like where I am right now I may need them just to start getting back on track. I hope this makes sense. I was just wondering how you would start the process of doing so because I did read somewhere that you need a reference from your regular physician to go see a psychiatrist. If anyone could tell me what their process what like or any advice in general, I would appreciate that very much. Thanks!

Robbed
01-29-2008, 05:47 PM
If meds are what you want, you certainly don't need to see a pychiatrist. Any GP out there is probably going to be perfectly willing to hand you a prescription for SSRIs. And GPs are generally ALOT more accessible than psychiatrists. One word of warning, though. Don't try to treat your anxiety with meds alone. This is a mistake ALOT of people make. And this often leads to long-term dependency on medication. Do yourself a favor and try sme CBT, whether from a self-help book OR a competent therapist. That way, you can make yor use of medication as temporary as possible.

blondie28
01-29-2008, 08:03 PM
Well the thing is my GP is kinda an ass. I do go to him before I have to fly anywhere and he does prescribe me xanax but only just enough for the flight like 10 or so and he doesn't seem to keen on doing it. So I guess I could find a new GP because I really don't like him I just have been going there for so long that I am very comfortable there and I do trust him. But would a new GP be willing to prescribe me something even though I would be a new patient?

And I definitely do not want to depend on meds and want to be off them as quick as possible. I was actually looking at books today that would help me. Its just my anxiety has been so high lately that the simplest things bring on an attack. Plus my classes start tomorrow and honestly I have no idea how I will be able to get through them. Thank you for your help!

Robbed
01-30-2008, 03:14 AM
I don't really have a GP myself. But when I first got an anxiety condition back in October of 2006, insomnia was my biggest problem. And I saw a couple of doctors about this problem. What I have fouund is that doctors are quite reluctant to prescribe benzodiazepines like Xanax or Ativan, since it is considered to be addictive. However, it has been my experience that doctors literally throw SSRIs in your face (I actually got free samples of Lexapro, which I never took). So f your GP won't prescribe them, chances are someone else will. Anyway, you might just want to get another doctor if you don't like the one you have. I have to admit that I am not a big fan of SSRIs. But ultimately, the choice is yours.

Beachgirl
01-31-2008, 04:29 PM
Don't try to treat your anxiety with meds alone. This is a mistake ALOT of people make. And this often leads to long-term dependency on medication. Do yourself a favor and try sme CBT, whether from a self-help book OR a competent therapist. That way, you can make yor use of medication as temporary as possible.

I'm new and this is the most cool post I have seen yet. I tried getting better with meds for years and it was a survival deal rather than a getting better deal. I finished a cbt group this past summer and I'm a new girl now. If you are disciplined you can do it through books but no shame in joining a group, everyone's different. Just do it!