PDA

View Full Version : Help!

Kaylee Quinlan
12-08-2013, 12:11 AM
What does everyone do for their anxiety/stress? If you did not read my previous post I have had alot of physical things going on that have led me to believe I have lung cancer. When doctors did a cat scan on my lungs they found supposively found pneumonia and no nodules or masses. I do not feel well, often getting lightheaded. I have pain in my leg, arm, and finger pretty consistently. I have had a dozen blood tests, a dozen chest xrays (never found anything as the pneumonia was hidden behind my heart on xrays), a cat scan of my neck and cat scan of my chest. I have a hard time believing the doctors that I had pneumonia and not something worse. I was diagnosed with pneumonia almost 2 weeks ago and I finished my antibiotics a week and a half ago. I still cough on occasion but I still have all of these pains and everything else. I lost my job, my schooling, and my kids are now 500 miles from me because of all of this. Everyday that I have any symptoms, im afraid I am going to die that night. The doctors wont do anymore tests as they believe that all of my symptoms are unrelated and think im too young to get lung cancer, I have been a smoker for about 8 years. Some days its hard to get off the couch because i genuinely dont feel good but other days its hard to get off the couch because im so depressed because i think there is something more going on with me. I was in the ER when they sent me for the cat scan, the radiologist and the doctor said pneumonia. My regular doctor viewed the results from the radiologist and also stated he thought it was pneumonia. I have read so many horror stories online where people who were told they had pneumonia actually had lung cancer. From the time I get up in the morning to the time I fall asleep at night, alls I can think about is having lung cancer. I have not done anything but go to the doctor in a month. I want to get back to life. First, would you get a 3rd opinion or demand a follow up cat scan? Second, what do you do besides take medication to control constant worry, stress and depression. I just cant seem to get up and do anything because im scared, mad, sad!

embrace123
12-08-2013, 12:19 AM
Do you ever have chest pain ?

jessed03
12-08-2013, 05:02 AM
Anxiety, depression and a physical illness (such as the pneumonia) will make you feel so ill at times it would feel less awful being hit by a truck.

If you genuinely can't put your mind to rest unless you have the test, then try and have the test. Ruling out physical problems is always the first step, but sometimes just satisfying that curiosity your mind has is the second. If you have the insurance, and the patience, and you really feel you need it before you can move on, then try get it.

After all, you can always use that to disprove any anxiety in future. 'I was sooo scared of lung cancer, and look what happened, it was nothing...'... Those are the things that help you get better, when you can see for yourself how sometimes it's all quite illogical and over dramatic.

But, you have to make a deal with yourself. You do it, then you let go. The fear may not go, but you have to stop feeding it after the test. That's usually a fair compromise with anxiety. Otherwise you can drive yourself quite crazy.

As far as what to do for stress, the three things below should help quite a bit:

- Daily relaxation: Google progressive muscle relaxation, and perform it once per day.

- Meditation: Google meditation chants. Pick one you like (or even make your own). Sit in a quiet chair, and set a timer for 10 minutes. Repeat this chant in your head over and over, quite rhythmically, but calmly. Just gently focus on the words.

'Be now'.... *breathe*
'Be now'....
'Be now'.... *breathe*
Etc

This is an amazing method for clearing your mind and encouraging bodily relaxation. It's proven to help stress, reduce blood pressure etc. you usually see lasting results after around 6 weeks, but the relaxation effects are instant.

-CBT: Now your body is getting back into normal, relaxed mode, you've gotta take away the things that provoke it. In the stickies, at the top of this thread, are some CBT forms. Following them really helps with stress and stops it compounding. Stress a person can deal with, compounded stress, that shit makes you ill!

Kaylee Quinlan
12-09-2013, 01:01 PM
I occasionally have chest pressure to where it feels like I cant breathe but not really chest pain. jesse thank you for you feedback. I did get into the doctor today and have a follow up cat scan. The pneumonia is gone and they did not find anything else like lung cancer in my lungs. Thank god!!! That was a huge relief so hopefully all of these other symptoms are somehow tied to anxiety and they will soon be gone. I have been practicing breathing techniques which works sometimes but i will look up some other things as well.