PDA

View Full Version : Gastritis from anxiwty

littleone123
12-04-2013, 11:28 AM
Has anyone else ever been diagnosed with gastritis from anxiety? Iv spent the afternoon in a&e and they have told me i have gastritis. Been prescribed omeprazole 40mg and paracetamol and codeine.

They say I have given it to myself from all the anxiety I have after having a 24hr bug in September. The pain is awful and I don't see it getting any better and I'm scared as I'm only 24 years old :(

Andyw88
12-04-2013, 11:31 AM
Never been diagnosed with it but I suffer from a massively bloated stomach,indigestion and what not anxiety really can cause anything it's awful, mine personally comes in bouts when my anxiety worsens, thanks

littleone123
12-04-2013, 11:37 AM
Do u ever get a burning feeling like ur going to throw up?

littleone123
12-04-2013, 03:52 PM
Ye it's so painful iv had it ages and iv been given codeine and paracetamol for pain relief so hoping them all together will help calm it down and get rid of it

jerilyn
12-04-2013, 09:02 PM
I've had colitis almost my whole life & it took me into adulthood to associate it with anxiety. Now I know when I have it that I'm suppressing stress instead of dealing with it. And yes, I sometimes feel like I'll throw up, too. Lump in my throat. & I can't even drink. Does any of that sound like what you're talking about?

littleone123
12-06-2013, 05:02 AM
I don't think I have exactly the same but very close. My problem is my anxiety revolves around the stomach problems. Everyone tells me my stomach hurts because of my anxiety but it's the other way round in my head. Ended up hospital in pain and they told me it's gastritis :( I'm back to work Monday after being signed off for about 4 weeks and I'm nervous about going back incase I'm in pain

jessed03
12-06-2013, 05:06 AM
Is the codeine helping?

littleone123
12-06-2013, 05:07 AM
Ye it did help iv been ok today and yesterday I'm trying to stay relaxed and calm and think positive. The codeine makes me sleepy tho

jessed03
12-06-2013, 05:25 AM
Yeah codeines pretty strong really.

How long does omeprazole take to work little one?

Dahila
12-06-2013, 07:10 AM
Anxiety can cause different disease, I had have gastritis for years, I had problem with gall bladder, which was diagnosed stress related. I got some pills controlling anxiety and it stooped. Anxiety tend to attack everything in body, it sucks. I hope you are going to recover and feel better

littleone123
12-06-2013, 07:46 AM
Iv had two days of omeprazole so 40mg a day and feel bit better. Just hope it lasts. I'm having CBT for my anxiety and I know what I need to do it's just a case of actually doing it and believing I can do it.

Steven Daws
12-06-2013, 12:13 PM
When I have a panic attack, It usually makes me feel sick. At first my mum thought I had a stomach problem so I had lots of tests. They thought it was because I had a thin stomach lining so I was told to drink milk before I ate. Of course, I was 7 at the time, so I didn't realise I was getting panic attacks. When I got older, I used to eat antacids all the time, packets of them. I eventually stopped after a while, but I can understand how the anxiety can be causing your problems. I can be a vicious circle because worrying about the symptoms causes them to come back.

I hope that the meds work for you.

embrace123
12-06-2013, 12:25 PM
Where was your pain little? I'm having pain around my heart and left back side and under left rib cage. It's been here for almost a month. I'm so scared

littleone123
12-06-2013, 12:34 PM
I don't get panic attacks and my anxiety only comes now when I get the pain. The pain is between my rib cages where my upper stomach is and it's not heartburn or indigestion it's a real burning and gnawing pain.

But now at the moment in the back of my mind is when will it come back. And when it comes back will it be bad again and will it hurt and will I be able to cope. So it's like I'm living on the edge :(

embrace123
12-06-2013, 12:39 PM
Omg same here, the days I feel better I always think " when will it come back" " will it kill me" it's so scary I'm so tired of this I can't even lay on my back without feeling pain/pressure... I just don't want anything bad to happen, I've had 8 EKG, blood work 2 chest X-rays and everything vans back normal, do you think maybe you have a hiatal Hernia ?

vonnhelsing
12-06-2013, 12:57 PM
I can say for a fact that anxiety is directly related to gastro issues. I ALWAYS ALWAAAAYS get irritable bowel syndrome when im having particularly strong bout of anxiety. My stomach suffers horribly with anxiety. Get super bloated after I eat and am constantly in severe pain. Lots of gas and problems going to the toilet. Ulcers too. Heartburn all the time. The brain, heart and gastrointestinal organs are connected so when the brain is exhausted it will affect our heart and stomach.. the pains that come with it are very unnerving. Having it right now. Hate it! :(

embrace123
12-06-2013, 01:06 PM
Same here it's so scary I thought I was getting better but in reality I'm not. I'm sick of this.

littleone123
12-06-2013, 02:18 PM
I don't feel I will ever be able to get rid of this pain. I'm on tablets for the pain but may have to go on meds for anxiety which is not what I wanted to do at all but I think it's gone too far now. Iv cut out everything food wise that will affect it. And it's hard as I can only eat things like chicken and potatoes so going to work is going to be a struggle lunch wise.

Doctors say I will get better once I have cured the problem. And the problem is my anxiety. So tackling that is going to be hard :(. But I have done it before (thought I had) so will try my best to do it again. Iv had a tough last 5-6 years and a lot of upset and distress in my life.

Shaun
12-06-2013, 02:38 PM
I had stomach problems for s full year constantly had vicious acid reflux I had to stop my medication I was eating renni by the box lost lots of weight I was put on onprozole I think that's the name I refused to take then after that I got this fear of taking tablets the the stomach problem subsided it self after a while though

artaud
12-06-2013, 02:50 PM
Iv had two days of omeprazole so 40mg a day and feel bit better. Just hope it lasts. I'm having CBT for my anxiety and I know what I need to do it's just a case of actually doing it and believing I can do it.

Omeprazole (in the U.S. this is Prilosec) is a proton pump inhibitor, it may take several days for full effect. I looked over some of the data online, it looks like 4 to 8 weeks is a common duration for it to need to be taken to resolve the condition for which it is prescribed. Proton Pump Inhibitors actually stop the production of the stomach acid. Digestion occurs without the stomach acid, and the degree to which production is stopped probably depends on dosage.

I had Epi-Gastric pain (above the stomach) for weeks, I was concerned I had something serious. Eventually the pain subsided and healing occurred. That was years ago now. If things persist and are of concern to you, you may wish to consult another doctor.

Caffeine (Coffee, chocolate) should be eliminated, nicotine and others products from smoking will also cause problems, and lying down after eating should be avoided. I would not eat within a few hours of bedtime, and try to elevate your upper body (torso) and head in bed.

You used a drug name that I believe is acetaminophen (Tylenol) in the U.S. (paracetamol). This drug must be used as directed, it has thee potential to seriously damage the liver if more than directed or prescribed are used. (Some people think that Over-The-Counter drugs are harmless, this is not the case, use only as directed).

littleone123
12-06-2013, 05:09 PM
Ye I sleep elevated a bit normally tend to sleep sitting up as find that better for my stomach prob not doing my spine much good tho haha. But that's another matter.

The omeprazole has already made a difference it just needs a little longer to take full effect I suppose. Worrying about whether I'm going to be stuck like this is horrible and scares me :( I'm only 24. Trying to not take the codeine too much as it's addictive don't want that to face too along with my anxiety

littleone123
12-06-2013, 05:11 PM
Iv stopped smoking and i had already cut all caffeine out a few years ago which made my anxiety worse. This week I have cut out all wheat dairy and anything that will be hard to digest and sticking to chicken rice potatoes and plain foods.