PDA

View Full Version : Holter Monitor

onebreathatatime
12-03-2013, 01:21 PM
So today I got hooked up with a 48 hour Holter Monitor, I have to say at first I was terrified, heart rate was over 100, but I have since calmed down and realizing it's not that bad. The funny thing is... I am wearing it specifically to catch my skipped beats and for the last 3 1/2 hrs I haven't had one which normally I would have! Anyone else had this happen?

Lee Grant Irons
12-03-2013, 03:57 PM
When I wore a Holter Monitor, I would press the button every time I felt palpitations. But the doctor said he saw nothing unusual. Very frustrating.

onebreathatatime
12-03-2013, 04:00 PM
I still haven't felt anything that I normally do?!

vonnhelsing
12-04-2013, 11:37 AM
I had a 24 hour one and I didnt have a single skipped beat or ectopic beat. It really annoyed me haha cause as soon as I got it taken off I started getting them again. Doc said he didnt see anything unusual as well..

onebreathatatime
12-04-2013, 09:57 PM
So do you think you are experiencing skipped eats or something else? I'm curious because I've had this on for over 24hrs and have felt one tiny "skipped beat" but I couldn't get to the button in time to make note of it, and seeing how normally I think I have at least 2 a day and now I'm not having any seems off to me?

Lee Grant Irons
12-04-2013, 10:09 PM
The button just records the approximate time in the recording where the event occurs. The doctor then looks at all of the heart beat footage upstream and dopwnstream of the button push to see what happened. So even if you push the button a few seconds late, the doctor will be able to find whatever happened if anything.

One thing that I thought may have been happening for some of my "events" was that it could have been other muscles my chest wall that were spasming rather than the heart muscle. Then, when the holter was hanging around my neck against my chest, the pressure could have caused those muscles to relax and not spasm. However, recently when my hypothyroid symptoms started coming back, my doctor did an ECG and saw it this time, first time anyone has ever seen it. So who knows. :rolleyes: