PDA

View Full Version : After effects

samanthajayne24
12-03-2013, 12:42 AM
Hi. I stopped taking benzos last Friday. Anyone feel worse after they stop taking them. I feel like I'm going backwards again now ! Doctor only prescribed me 23 of them. 5 ml xx

Lee Grant Irons
12-03-2013, 06:13 AM
Doctor only prescribed me 23 of them. 5 ml xx

That's strange. Are you sure you were only prescribed 23, or did your pharmacy just not have enough to fill your prescription initially? If the latter, then the rest of your prescription would be waiting for you to pick up.

samanthajayne24
12-03-2013, 06:29 AM
He didn't want to prescribe me a large dose as he has also prescribed me citalopram. I think my palpatations are worse this week x

Lee Grant Irons
12-03-2013, 06:46 AM
I would recommend you have a conversation with your doctor about what he/she is trying to accomplish. Every time the doctor wants to do a new test, a new treatment, or try new medications, you should ask the doctor to explain to you the reasons for doing it. I'm not sure how giving you only 23 doses of a medicine is helpful, unless that is the way it is meant to be used for the given treatment protocol.

Dweeb
12-03-2013, 07:29 AM
My doctor only prescribed me the same amount of tablets as she said that they are very addictive and given my age they didnt wanna prescribe them me for too long

Lee Grant Irons
12-03-2013, 07:43 AM
My doctor only prescribed me the same amount of tablets as she said that they are very addictive and given my age they didnt wanna prescribe them me for too long

I don't understand this way of thinking. If it is so addictive and the doctor does not want you to get addicted, then why prescribe them at all. It is like giving you a gift and then snatching it away. How does this help anyone??? It does not help you, because now you feel worse than before. It does not help the doctor, because he/she still has the job getting an accurate and complete diagnosis and treatment for you.

Dweeb
12-03-2013, 07:53 AM
She said she'll give them to me to stop the edge bt only 2weeks cuz after 2 weeks im more than likely could become addicted

Havent taken any for bout 2mnths now

Perses
12-03-2013, 09:10 AM
There is a lot of controversy about benzos, primarily because they tend to be overprescribed and can be used recreationally. Benzos, of course, have been around for 40 years or so. The most famous being Valium, or diazepam. Because of their high potential for addiction, (i.e. people get high, take more than their prescribed amount, buy them on the street), they are generally used to treat short term anxiety. No more than a month's worth. The theory is that anti-depressants should be the first drug tried, but they take weeks to get into the system, so, for very anxious people benzos are given. There is quite the backlash against them. For example, in NY State, you can only get a monthly supply per doctor's visit. The drugs can't be called in over the phone or even emailed to a pharmacy. yada yada yada.

So, your doctor gave you the right advice. Now, once the benzos are gone, you will, of course, begin to feel the way you did before you started the benzos. On the other hand, your citrapolam will kick in and should help with your anxiety, so give it time to work.

If you still feel bad after a week or so, then see a psychiatrist. That's what I do. Under a pyschiatrist's care, I have taken benzos for 18 years - clonazepam. I have had no side-effects. I have gone off of it, and, yes, I do feel more anxious, but since I'd except to since I have GAD, I take that in stride. So, my advice to you would be to remember that you are on another drug that is supposed to help you, that going off benzos will make you feel anxious. This anxiety may be alleviated by other treatment forms, or simply because the anxiety inducing situation has dissipated. And, if you continue to find your treatment unsatisfactory, see a psychiatrist.

samanthajayne24
12-03-2013, 09:26 AM
He did say he only wanted me taking it if I could feel myself getting worked up and unroll the citalopram kick in. May have to go back xx

Lee Grant Irons
12-03-2013, 10:20 AM
There is a lot of controversy about benzos, primarily because they tend to be overprescribed and can be used recreationally. Benzos, of course, have been around for 40 years or so. The most famous being Valium, or diazepam. Because of their high potential for addiction, (i.e. people get high, take more than their prescribed amount, buy them on the street), they are generally used to treat short term anxiety. No more than a month's worth. The theory is that anti-depressants should be the first drug tried, but they take weeks to get into the system, so, for very anxious people benzos are given. There is quite the backlash against them. For example, in NY State, you can only get a monthly supply per doctor's visit. The drugs can't be called in over the phone or even emailed to a pharmacy. yada yada yada.

So, your doctor gave you the right advice. Now, once the benzos are gone, you will, of course, begin to feel the way you did before you started the benzos. On the other hand, your citrapolam will kick in and should help with your anxiety, so give it time to work.

If you still feel bad after a week or so, then see a psychiatrist. That's what I do. Under a pyschiatrist's care, I have taken benzos for 18 years - clonazepam. I have had no side-effects. I have gone off of it, and, yes, I do feel more anxious, but since I'd except to since I have GAD, I take that in stride. So, my advice to you would be to remember that you are on another drug that is supposed to help you, that going off benzos will make you feel anxious. This anxiety may be alleviated by other treatment forms, or simply because the anxiety inducing situation has dissipated. And, if you continue to find your treatment unsatisfactory, see a psychiatrist.

Good advice. I took diazepam for about two years just to help me think straight while I was working on solving my problems. SSRIs and other antidepressants and such never helped me, and in fact, gave me bad side effects. I initially was prescribed diazepam by a psychiatrist. But when the psychiatrist stopped being helpful, I got the prescription from my newly found primary care doctor. I was able to get a prescription for 11 months at a time. I never increased the dose or got addicted. In fact, after two years, once I felt I had more control of my situation, I came off of them easily with addiction.

In short, I found diazepam to be very helpful in enabling me to get my head back in the game of solving my problems.

samanthajayne24
12-03-2013, 11:17 AM
I don't understand this way of thinking. If it is so addictive and the doctor does not want you to get addicted, then why prescribe them at all. It is like giving you a gift and then snatching it away. How does this help anyone??? It does not help you, because now you feel worse than before. It does not help the doctor, because he/she still has the job getting an accurate and complete diagnosis and treatment for you.

Exactly. I do feel worse now then before I had them. :/ my main issue is the palpatatipns . Feels like my heart hits a speed bump. And it either takes my breath away or makes me cough. I can be sitting there calm and all of a sudden it Weill happen. Anyone else get this. X x

Lee Grant Irons
12-03-2013, 03:25 PM
Exactly. I do feel worse now then before I had them. :/ my main issue is the palpatatipns . Feels like my heart hits a speed bump. And it either takes my breath away or makes me cough. I can be sitting there calm and all of a sudden it Weill happen. Anyone else get this. X x

I had palpitations by whole life from as early as I can remember, but never had anxiety until my health crashed at age 40. My palpitations are now mostly gone, unless I forget to take my thyroid medicine.