PDA

View Full Version : Can Anxiety turn into Schizphrenia?

Howdy
01-22-2008, 04:41 PM
My mom says if I don't take medicine for Anxiety it can turn into Schizophernia is this true?

Alexcambridge
01-22-2008, 06:02 PM
I'm not an expert - far from it! But I would say no, not unless you have are already considered 'at risk' of getting schizophrenia.

She may just be scared for you and want to you to get treatment. Of course saying stuff like that is totally counterproductive.

bio
01-22-2008, 08:49 PM
experts says, every person has 1% chance to be schizophrenic,
3% chances if our your parent is schizophrenia sufferer.

based on my random observation,
anxiety sufferer don't get it.

be assured that it will not develop to schizophrenia.

and of course my advice to all anxiety sufferers(to remind myself as well),
learn some more coping skills and practice it.
who knows, practice make perfect.

do somethings that you enjoy much.

RabidBadger
01-23-2008, 04:16 AM
Anxiety and schizophrenia are completely separate and unrelated - although it is quite common for anxiety sufferers to worry or obsess about their anxiety turning into some kind of serious mental disorder or psychotic condition.

Chris

Robbed
01-24-2008, 07:14 AM
Anxiety and schizophrenia are completely separate and unrelated - although it is quite common for anxiety sufferers to worry or obsess about their anxiety turning into some kind of serious mental disorder or psychotic condition.

Chris

Exactly. You might become REALLY, REALLY, REALLY scared that it will happen. The fear might be SO intense that you feel like you will hear voices at ANY instant. But guess what? It never does.

Frazzle
01-24-2008, 07:21 AM
i know that this is sort of unrealted

but does anyone else ever daydream that they have a worst problem because they're ashamed that they have anxiety?

because it's just hard to explain it to people, you know that you just get rally scared, where as if you were schizophrenic people understand that you are crazy, or different, not to be disrespectful of any one who suffers from that, i can't understand what you are going throught (but i can imagine), it's just that if i tell people that i have anxiety they sometimes don't get it and i just want the world to understand that yeah there are people who freak out a lot...

blah27e
02-05-2008, 06:22 PM

Chris

This is false information. As was mentioned previously, you may from time to time obsess with your anxiety, but you are not going to go crazy, become mentally ill or die.

The very mechanism that makes us anxious is also to protect us, and that is the adrenal glands and autonomic nervous system, among other things, which I wont bore you all with. Just know, that you will not become schizophrenic , crazy or die.

This is false information, and it is false information that makes anxiety worse.

When you are obsessing with anxiety, you seem to think the worse, which fuels the anxiety, another words a little more adrenalin is secreted making you more anxious. I know this easy to say, but try to correct the false information that you are thinking by telling yourself the truth, and that is that this is anxiety, and it is actually quite normal in situations where we need to fight or flee, but we are sensitive to this. I'm not going crazy, I'm not going to die... etc. You have to keep telling yourself this, and remember to breathe in and out, this signals your nervous system that everything is ok.

Like I said, this isn't easy to do, and it probably wont help the first time you try it, but you have to be consistent, and then you can calm yourself down over time with practice.

This may not work for everyone, just as everyone's anxiety affects them differently. My main point is to let you know that the information stated in the other post about schizophrenia and other mental illness is not true, so please don't even give that a second thought. ;)