PDA

View Full Version : When did Every1s Anxiety Start

scatmantom
10-26-2005, 06:24 AM
I was just wondering if people can remember when they started suffering from anxiety/ having panic attacks

I was in my last year of primary school..about 10 years old and i lost my bag and got really really worried...eventually I was sick. I had never felt like that before and it was very strange...it continued for about a week b4 school i would be sick from anxiety. I think losing the bag and hearing that the teacher was strict just scared me...but before then I never really got nervous about anything. But now...altho i have improved lately...still suffer from anxiety and panic attacks.

How did any of you lot discover your anxiety problems? Are some people born with it?

shoe
10-26-2005, 07:24 AM
scatmantom, I think I was around 11 or 12 when I first started experiencing anxiety attacks. The first attack happened when I was standing in front of a classroom full of kids reading something aloud. It just hit me out of the blue. I was shaking, my voice was shaking, etc.. it was pretty bad, and kids making fun of me didn't help the situation either! I didn't know what anxiety attacks were until maybe 7 years later, and then didn't know about social anxiety for another few years. So I felt like somewhat of a freak in the meantime hehe.

As far as being born with anxiety.. some scientists theorize there is a gene that makes us more prone to depression and anxiety. The gene is passed down in certain families. But it takes certain life stressors to activate that gene. So some people may carry it all their lives and never have enough life stressors to experience any type of anxiety or mood disorder. But thats just one theory.

brickyard_red
10-26-2005, 08:01 AM
I had my first panic attack when I was 10. Mine came from outside factors and heridity I think. My mom has delt with depression real bad since she gave birth to me and my brother deals with depression and anxiety also. So, like shoe said, because of the gene being there and the other factors that is why mine started. As I get older it seems to be getting worse. Go figure, you would have thought it would be the other way around. :?:

I think I start realizing what it was when I was in high school sometime. That's when I started to get help. At first I didn't want it, but then I found a dr. that really helped me alot and I still use some of her methods to this day. :)

Cath :)

Vikki
10-26-2005, 08:49 AM
I am a late starter compared to the rest of the replies it started around 43 for me and it has progressively gotten worse from repeated stress...I could say my job drove me nuts..haha. But I probably just didn't deal with the pressures right and here I am today.

If someone else in my family suffered with Anxiety they never talked about it, so I am not sure it's hereditary.

xavier
10-26-2005, 08:16 PM
my depression and anxiety is definatly heriditary. mine was triggered by excessive drug use during high school and also 1 certain major life changing event that happened to me which was why i turned to drugs in the 1st place. my sister has the same problems as me and hers was also triggered by drugs and a few life altering events. both of us got our anxiey and depression in our early 20's. we were doomed i think but we didnt help matters. its not fair....

anangel4me
10-28-2005, 04:58 PM
That's a good question. I was 32 or 33 when I started recognizing that I had a problem. But my doctor says I could have had this problem since my early childhood. Of course back then we didn't hear much about anxiety or panic attacks. I still live with this problem today. But am glad that there are resources to fix it. :)

babycristy
10-29-2005, 09:13 PM
I have always been an anxious person. I would worry myself with small issues. As I look back now, the main clues were my multi- tasking bc I was always paranoid of things not getting done, worring about events that were to take place a long time from that moment (at least 3 months before the actual event), I was always curious to know answers to everything...Yea I am sure alot of people experience this, but I was obsessed to the point that I could not sleep worrying about these issues. Well the first time I got a panic attack was about 3 years ago when smoked marijuana for the first (and last) time with my friends. I smoked way to much, tripped out badly, and had a panic attack that lasted me the entire "high". Ever since that day, i have gotten non-stop panic attacks. They eventually went away for about 1 year or so, and returned recently. Now I am even showing signs of social phobia due to my panic attacks.

UnIvErSiTyChIcK
11-04-2005, 02:32 PM
I got what I think was my first anxiety attack when i was about 10 or 11 years old. I was playing my flute at an assembly at school. I had done a solo at the music festival and won 1st place, which was fine, but then was asked to play for the whole school and their families. Well, I got half way through it and just froze. I remember hyperventilating and not being able to breathe. It was so bad. I didnt get any more attacks for quite awhile, and actually didnt even consider it an attack until I was older and started reading about this stuff. Now they come more frequently, but slowly I am learning to cope.

scatmantom
11-05-2005, 03:13 AM
thanks for all your replies every1. I feel for every1 who goes thru wot we do. Hope that every1 finds an good coping technique soon!

BigSlim
11-14-2005, 11:43 PM
Hi Everyone, my Anxiety and OCD started when I was 24. I guess I had always been an anxious person per say, but I had a breakdown and my symptoms just erupted. I tried everything and was finally introduced to ECT treatment, which the doctor said would help with the OCD. Man did it ever help. I've snapped right out of the funk that I was in and am now able to control my OCD and Anxiety with light meds and faith in God. That's just a brief description of my particular situation. It's very interesting to read about everybody else. Sometimes you think that you are the only one who has suffered through the worst possible anxiety and then you hear about others. Although not necissarily a good thing to have in common with each other, but it's good to know that there's other people out there that can relate.

God Bless
James

scatmantom
11-15-2005, 02:00 PM
nice post james

melikeebeef
11-21-2005, 02:02 AM
When i smoked weed for the 10th time.

Angel
11-21-2005, 02:38 AM
I kant remember my first one bekause i was so young, i was born an anxious person and more prone to be depressed...not kause of life-changing events..i guess its the way i work. Umm i DO remember lots of situations that kaused non-stop anxiety for a while though....

I smoked too much pot once and that triggered panik attacks for a while, but the next day i literally smoked 1.9 times the amount i had smoked the day before(nine bowls) passed out...i was young...stupid decisions....then i started getting into tripping on shrooms, that fucked me up for a while, then heroin gave me a REALLY REALLY bad reaktion...i felt like my skin was melting off and my body was boiling, kind of like the first time i smoked hydro with embalming fluid...

Another thing that got me really fucking anxious was after I Od'd on cokaine. I had just turned eighteen that midnight hour....
Well i didnt stop right away, i am a pretty stupidly stubborn person so right after a did a bump of more coke two days after the ambulance ride, i thought i od'd again and then again the nextday and then again two more times, but i was just having panik attacks..so i just quit everything altogether, and picked up drinking heavily...I had been drinking heavily since i was seventeen, so i started binge drinking, until about.....this past August.

So I just kompletely fucked up my already fucked up chemical balance...so now im a big unbalanced person, but im no longer taking zoloft or xanax or abilify.....so i am as clean as i was when i was 8 years old...