PDA

View Full Version : Stutter

Alexcambridge
01-18-2008, 12:42 PM
Hmm I have a stutter that i've had on and off for a long time. It's quite bad at the moment, but has maybe got a little bit better. Has anybody else got a speech impediment?

Just my luck to have found out that speech difficulties can be a symptom of brain tumors. Roll on hypochondria!

desiderata
01-18-2008, 12:52 PM
hi alex, i have a slight stutter as well, i hate it! comes on more when i worry about it!so i jsut try to not focos on it so much when it happens, the more i ignore it the less it happens. it sure is annoying tho :tongue:

Alexcambridge
01-18-2008, 12:56 PM
Yeah I know exactly what you mean. If I make a big deal in my head about talking then i invariably stutter, but if I just speak without letting the anxious part of my mind take control I am generally much better. I just wish the hypochondria would end, it's the worst.

desiderata
01-18-2008, 02:42 PM
ugh! i know its horrible! just so draining to be thinking thinking thinking all of the time! i think i even worry in my sleep! :shock: just gotta keep on fighting i reckon (hard as it is)

lenalane
01-19-2008, 05:22 PM
I have found that when my anxiety is at it's tip to shape, my mind is dull. I can't type as well, write, think, or even speak. I forget things and words. I think it's because my mind is on overtime and is just so incredibly consumed with fear that it doesn't leave much room to be sharp. I think your stuttering may be a result of that tension - as great as it gets. I would try to relax as much as you can.

Arthur Pelley
01-20-2008, 10:59 AM
I stuttered since I was a child. It would get so bad with the PPPPPP, trying to say something that begins with a P or a W or sometimes any letter.
I went to disc jockey school, which unfortunately didn't really work out for me as a career, it did help my stuttering. My instructer found a gimmick that worked for me. He told me to try and see myself as a third person and to watch my mouth forming the words. I think this was a distraction, but at the time it was the best thing that ever happened to me. Every once in a while, it will happen to me, but it's rare and I feel a lot better about it. confidence helps.

Good luck! You are not alone with your issues!

Alexcambridge
01-20-2008, 11:41 AM
Thank you. The stuttering is definetly brought on by stress. I have winter exams at the moment. The same happened in summers of 2006 and 2007 with exams then.

I'm hoping some of my other issues may be down to Seasonal Affective Disorder and the stress of the exams and the whole university application process. Hopefully by easter time things will have calmed down a bit.

Frazzle
01-24-2008, 06:51 AM
hello, i don't have a stutter but i've always wondered,
can you stutter and yell at the same time?
I've always wanted to ask that question but i don't want to be rude, it's just that i figure yelling is a stress release right? so maybe if people could yell more they'd be able to talk more clearly, so can you?

NickatNight
01-28-2008, 12:18 AM
I don't exactly have a stutter but I can't get my words out that i want to say alot of time so i just resort to saying blah and then try again. It sucks. I'm only 17 so when i do it my parents think i've been doing drugs or something

James44
01-29-2008, 09:28 AM
I have a friend who has a severe stutter, ever since his dad died when he was young hes stuttered really bad. I wonder if he has anxiety that would cause the stutter, i know he always tried to cover up the stutter with anger and lashing out at people for no reason.

Well best of wishes!