PDA

View Full Version : It Gets Old

aharris2456
11-22-2013, 11:54 AM
So im at work doing paper work when I get this dull pain on the lest side of my chest. So now I'm still sitting at work wanting to go home becuase I think something is wrong. It just gets old after a while, I was having a good day and plus its my friday and now all I want to do is sit on my couch and do nothing. I hate feeling like this.

jessed03
11-22-2013, 12:31 PM
So im at work doing paper work when I get this dull pain on the lest side of my chest. So now I'm still sitting at work wanting to go home becuase I think something is wrong. It just gets old after a while, I was having a good day and plus its my friday and now all I want to do is sit on my couch and do nothing. I hate feeling like this.

Why couldn't you dismiss it? :)

You were having a good day, a problem came along (a problem that may even have been caused by anxiety) and instead of dismissing it, like most people do, you went completely in the opposite direction, and for some reason, this pain, which other people probably would have acknowledged, and forgotten about in a few moments, has perhaps ruined your day, and your evening.

Do you remember the process that took place? You found the pain. The pain came to your attention, then what... Where did it go from there?

What happened in your head, and in your body, that lead to you having to resign the day away?

Understanding this process, and changing it, is the key to your future well being.

aharris2456
11-22-2013, 12:39 PM
I was typing at the computer and just felt pain and then it went across my chest and that's why it made me not dismiss it. I've never had a pain that went across my chest before it has always been located on the left side and in the same spot. My head then in turned reminded me of all the symptoms of heart disease and ect.

jessed03
11-22-2013, 12:57 PM
Ok. I know how it is. I was just trying to see how deep the health fears lie!

They don't seem too bad. 'Too bad' meaning that you should be able to make some changes without lots of work. Just a little work may be helpful enough!

Have you worked on them yet? Have you done anything to change the process that leads from a symptom, to you feeling really bad?

'My head then in turn reminded me of all the symptoms of heart disease'

This is the big one. That quote has to be in bold, as that's the starting point usually to a chain of unhappy events.

Usually, right after your mind reminds you of these symptoms, an adrenaline rush occurs. It's pretty scary to have that idea hanging around.

After the adrenaline rush begins, then anything can happen. The degrees of intensity, and speed vary, but the process is always the same.

That's when things start getting a little ugly. The mind may race faster, and start saying some more scary things. The mind may argue with itself about what's happening, and the resulting confusion leading to some nervousness. It may produce more symptoms, that seem scary. It may leave a fear of nervousness. Whatever does happen, it usually comes with a second rebound adrenaline rush.

Now you're going down kinda fast. The rate in which people suffer, and how it happens differs greatly, but the things mentioned above happen in just a few seconds. What happens over the next few minutes really cement you into an uncomfortable situation.

So you're gonna feel much better, if you stop the first adrenaline rush. Or, limit it. If you get a pain, and you don't instantly picture heart disease or an ailment, then that adrenaline rush is gonna either be absent, or massively reduced. The resulting conclusion, is you feeling much better, and feeling bad for far shorter periods of time.

To change your reaction takes time. You don't choose it. It's just the result of a lot of things; habit, physiology, fear etc

http://media.psychologytools.org/Worksheets/English/CBT_Thought_Record.pdf

This is a great way to change it. Over time, if you fill this very easy form in, it WILL encourage your brain to think logically about things, and not to over react. That's just what a fearful anxious mind does. It over reacts, it panics, it assumes the worst.

You can change this, using that form. Usually, that's enough to see a large degree of change. It takes discipline though. It's never easy to change a habit, especially in the mind. It takes consistent effort on your part, to keep working at it, to remain as neutral as possible to things, and to keep encouraging rationality inside your head!

It will be worth it though.

worriedmummy85
11-22-2013, 01:02 PM
Ok. I know how it is. I was just trying to see how deep the health fears lie!

They don't seem too bad. 'Too bad' meaning that you should be able to make some changes without lots of work. Just a little work may be helpful enough!

Have you worked on them yet? Have you done anything to change the process that leads from a symptom, to you feeling really bad?

'My head then in turn reminded me of all the symptoms of heart disease'

This is the big one. That quote has to be in bold, as that's the starting point usually to a chain of unhappy events.

Usually, right after this, an adrenaline rush occurs. It's pretty scary to be told that, even from your mind! After the adrenaline rush, anything can happen. That's when things start getting a little ugly. The mind may race faster, and start saying some more scary things. The mind may argue with itself about what's happening, and the resulting confusion leading to some nervousness. It may produce more symptoms, that seem scary. Whatever does happen, it usually accomplices a second rebound adrenaline rush.

Now you're going down kinda fast. The rate in which people suffer, and how it happens differs greatly, but the things mentioned above happen in just a few seconds. What happens over the next few minutes really cement you into an uncomfortable situation.

So you're gonna feel much better, if you stop the first adrenaline rush. Or, limit it. If you get a pain, and you don't instantly picture heart disease or an ailment, then that adrenaline rush is gonna either be absent, or massively reduced. The resulting conclusion, is you feeling much better, and feeling bad for far shorter periods of time.

To change your reaction takes time. You don't choose it. It's just the result of a lot of things; habit, physiology, fear etc

http://media.psychologytools.org/Worksheets/English/CBT_Thought_Record.pdf

This is a great way to change it. Over time, if you fill this very easy form in, it WILL encourage your brain to think logically about things, and not to over react. That's just what a fearful anxious mind does. It over reacts, it panics, it assumes the worst.

You can change this, using that form. Usually, that's enough to see a large degree of change. It takes discipline though. It's never easy to change a habit, especially in the mind. It takes consistent effort on your part, to keep working at it, to remain as neutral as possible to things, and to keep encouraging rationality inside your head!

It will be worth it though.

Wow you know a lot about this stuff have you studied psychology?

aharris2456
11-22-2013, 01:52 PM
Over time, if you fill this very easy form in, it WILL encourage your brain to think logically about things, and not to over react. That's just what a fearful anxious mind does. It over reacts, it panics, it assumes the worst.

I have always been a logical thinker. I used to not overreact to things. As for the adrenaline rush, I dont know if i experience that or not. My heart rate never increased and I was able to talk my self down by naming things I didn't have that would also be present with heart disease.

Sometimes I think the more you know about the human body the more it can drive you nuts.

jessed03
11-22-2013, 02:35 PM
I have always been a logical thinker. I used to not overreact to things. As for the adrenaline rush, I dont know if i experience that or not. My heart rate never increased and I was able to talk my self down by naming things I didn't have that would also be present with heart disease.

Sometimes I think the more you know about the human body the more it can drive you nuts.

I agree!

I think it will do good things for you if you fill in the form in the last post daily. Fill it in, with all the anxious stuff that may come up in your mind. Fill it in with all the reactions happening.

Make the conscious mind, aware of what's happening a lot in the subconscious.

Just having it on paper, there for you to see, and understand, and process, will do so much to re-enforce the habit of rational mental reactions.

You don't really wanna have to talk your stuff down forever, right? You wanna calm your amygdala (brains fear centre) and change whatever adrenal activity is taking place when this stuff happens, by changing your brains over dramatic, and impulsive reaction to stuff.

I know it sounds too simple, and even patronizing to write such obvious stuff down, but it does produce great results.

Most people do this for a month, and find great changes already taking place. It's worth trying if you haven't done it already.

I think you're able to move beyond this.