PDA

View Full Version : Journey to curing my anxiety..

jason009
11-19-2013, 03:52 PM
Intro: Hey my names Jason, I'm 25, I work as a chef and I live in the U.K I've been reading a lot on this forum and a lot generally about anxiety, nutrition etc. I want to use this thread as a journey to help others and offer insights on whats working for me. I'll update frequently.

Background: For the past 4 - 5 years I was drinking regularly and in the last 2 years almost every night, 4 - 6 pints most nights, some nights more some less. I started getting anxiety about 6 months ago, so I figured it was related to alcohol consumption, me consuming more and having worse withdrawals. I gave up for 2 - 3 weeks during may, I self medicated with tianeptine which made me feel great, but I was taking too much and when I ran out I spent a week being completely out of it, anxious wreck. Fast forward, I've given up alcohol now, its been 3 weeks since I last had a drink.

I feel much better now but I still get anxiety, it is a bit better and more controllable now with out alcohol playing a part. Generally speaking my anxiety is: that I feel like I'm about to lose my mind, pass out, have a heart attack or something like that. It feels horrible and I can't take my mind off during and I'm not sure what triggers it.

Any way less about anxiety. Here's what I'm doing/going to do to cure it.

Healthy body = Healthy mind...

I'm not sure how much damage alcohol has done to my body or my ability to adsorb nutrients correctly. However I've been to the Doctors and had my BP checked, Liver Enzymes checked and my Thyroid. All of which are good.

1. Eat healthy, I've cut out gluten and wheat as I often feel bloated and lethargic after a meal containing the aforementioned (even though I love a sandwich), I'm limiting my dairy intake in case I have issues with it. I'm generally aiming for a paleo diet, fresh vegetables, meat, eggs, brown rice, nuts, trying to keep it natural and simple. Avoiding anything processed such as coke and sweets, I'm not 100% strict but i'd say 95%. Eat small high protein meals regularly to keep the metabolism stable and keep blood sugar levels stable.
2. Exercise - I love weight training it's something that keeps me motivated and gives me goals to work towards, aside from that I go swimming, running, take saunas and steam rooms. Exercise releases endorphins which make you feel great, it also wears me out so I sleep better and I generally feel calming after a work out. I feel like I've let off some steam. Weight lifting is great for better glucose metabolism and insulin sensitivity. Sauna's help get rid of toxins through perspiration, help lose weight and can help combat SAD which is great for me especially during the winter.
3. Whey protein, I've been having whey protein first thing in the morning as your body has been fasting and is in a catabolic state, having a high protein meal with amino acids stabilizes blood sugar levels so you feel less hungry during the day, kick starts your metabolism so you think more clearly, slows down the production of cortisol helping release serotonin reducing stress, keeps you calm low blood sugar levels can send your emotions all over the place. Aside from that it's great for building bone strength and muscles. I might change to pea protein as I want to eliminate dairy and pea protein has a great amino acid profile, saving me cash.. Win win.
4. Supplements - I tend to read loads of stuff go out and buy all these supplements and try them all at once. I'm trying not to do that. What I take regularly: Multivitamin, Fish oil, Flax seed oil, magnesium oxide, theanine and b vitamins.
5. Drink Chamomile tea.

Supplements, what I'm going to try: Amino acids after reading the thread which is stickied (my whey only has BCAA), Taurine, Vitamin d3, ZMA ( Zinc, Magnesium, B6, I'm going to make sure the minerals are chelated for better absorption,Turmeric, Psyillium husk to increase fibre and improve digestion.

Here's a brief explanation of some supplements and the benefits I think would be good for anxiety:

#Zinc - Helps the immune system, increase testosterone, helps the skin heal, improves cognitive function, plays a role in the synthesis of serotonin and can help produce Gaba.
#Vitamin D - Low levels of vitamin D can increase fat levels, Vitamin D can lower insulin, improve serotonin and improve muscle function. It's a lot darker here in the winter and I work inside as a chef with no windows, so my sun exposure is very little, I feel I could benefit from supplementing.
#Magnesium - Helps control stress and cortisol, calming effects, beneficial for sleep, fights depression, aids insulin control.
#Vitamin C - Immunity, antioxidant, lowers insulin, reduces cortisol, increase metabolic energy, improves skin.
#B Complex - Stress depletes B Vitamins, having adequate levels is essential for a functioning nervous system.
#Taurine - Helps produce Gaba, burns fat, supports insulin health, raises testosterone, fights oxidative stress, recover quicker from exercise, better sleep, better brain function.
# Flax seed oil - Reduces inflammation ? Possibly lines the intestines helping to control leaky gut syndrome and aiding in digestion ?
# Fish oil - Increases serotonin, reduces inflammation, turns off fat storage, great stress fighter.

I will add/amend this list as and when. Any suggestions would be great.

As you can see I want to increase serotonin, increase Gaba and control my blood sugar levels and improve my digestion system.

Other supplements and ideas on my mind:
#Tryptophan
#Rhodiola rosea
#NAG
#Glutamine

Each day is an improvement. I seem to take 2 steps forwards and 1.5 steps backwards. Steady progression seems to be key, especially due to my alcohol abuse in the past.

Dre_1203
11-19-2013, 08:49 PM
Hey Jason. I'm 26 from Michigan, US. Just like yourself I used to drink regularly and am finally now cutting back and doing the same thing as you are with vitamins and better diet. I am taking magnesium, iu d, fish oil, and b complex. I have noticed some difference with less alcohol and more vitamins however as you say its 2 steps forward and 1.5 steps back. I've been hearing great things about zinc so am planning on adding that to my daily vitamin list. I still get some chest pains, left arm pain, and shortness of breath even though those symptoms are not as bad as they were. I do still have trouble sleeping and sometimes wake up in the middle of the night with heart palpitations. Been checked out by several doctors that say my heart is fine. Unfortunately, i work full time and go to school full time so don't have much time to escape to the gym. Im hoping that my vitamins and better diet will help me deal with this horrible thing. Keep is posted and best of luck to you bud!

nf1234
11-20-2013, 02:24 AM
Very interested in following your story. You are taking a very similar path as I am. I have learned a wealth of information on diet and supplements so feel free to ask me if you have any questions. I was curious which protein powder do you use? I was thinking of introducing that into my diet but was worried about which brand and such to go with. I know a lot of them have a ton of artificial sweeteners. Also, have you felt as specific benefit from the protein powder itself?

Thanks

Intro: Hey my names Jason, I'm 25, I work as a chef and I live in the U.K I've been reading a lot on this forum and a lot generally about anxiety, nutrition etc. I want to use this thread as a journey to help others and offer insights on whats working for me. I'll update frequently.

Background: For the past 4 - 5 years I was drinking regularly and in the last 2 years almost every night, 4 - 6 pints most nights, some nights more some less. I started getting anxiety about 6 months ago, so I figured it was related to alcohol consumption, me consuming more and having worse withdrawals. I gave up for 2 - 3 weeks during may, I self medicated with tianeptine which made me feel great, but I was taking too much and when I ran out I spent a week being completely out of it, anxious wreck. Fast forward, I've given up alcohol now, its been 3 weeks since I last had a drink.

I feel much better now but I still get anxiety, it is a bit better and more controllable now with out alcohol playing a part. Generally speaking my anxiety is: that I feel like I'm about to lose my mind, pass out, have a heart attack or something like that. It feels horrible and I can't take my mind off during and I'm not sure what triggers it.

Any way less about anxiety. Here's what I'm doing/going to do to cure it.

Healthy body = Healthy mind...

I'm not sure how much damage alcohol has done to my body or my ability to adsorb nutrients correctly. However I've been to the Doctors and had my BP checked, Liver Enzymes checked and my Thyroid. All of which are good.

1. Eat healthy, I've cut out gluten and wheat as I often feel bloated and lethargic after a meal containing the aforementioned (even though I love a sandwich), I'm limiting my dairy intake in case I have issues with it. I'm generally aiming for a paleo diet, fresh vegetables, meat, eggs, brown rice, nuts, trying to keep it natural and simple. Avoiding anything processed such as coke and sweets, I'm not 100% strict but i'd say 95%. Eat small high protein meals regularly to keep the metabolism stable and keep blood sugar levels stable.
2. Exercise - I love weight training it's something that keeps me motivated and gives me goals to work towards, aside from that I go swimming, running, take saunas and steam rooms. Exercise releases endorphins which make you feel great, it also wears me out so I sleep better and I generally feel calming after a work out. I feel like I've let off some steam. Weight lifting is great for better glucose metabolism and insulin sensitivity. Sauna's help get rid of toxins through perspiration, help lose weight and can help combat SAD which is great for me especially during the winter.
3. Whey protein, I've been having whey protein first thing in the morning as your body has been fasting and is in a catabolic state, having a high protein meal with amino acids stabilizes blood sugar levels so you feel less hungry during the day, kick starts your metabolism so you think more clearly, slows down the production of cortisol helping release serotonin reducing stress, keeps you calm low blood sugar levels can send your emotions all over the place. Aside from that it's great for building bone strength and muscles. I might change to pea protein as I want to eliminate dairy and pea protein has a great amino acid profile, saving me cash.. Win win.
4. Supplements - I tend to read loads of stuff go out and buy all these supplements and try them all at once. I'm trying not to do that. What I take regularly: Multivitamin, Fish oil, Flax seed oil, magnesium oxide, theanine and b vitamins.
5. Drink Chamomile tea.

Supplements, what I'm going to try: Amino acids after reading the thread which is stickied (my whey only has BCAA), Taurine, Vitamin d3, ZMA ( Zinc, Magnesium, B6, I'm going to make sure the minerals are chelated for better absorption,Turmeric, Psyillium husk to increase fibre and improve digestion.

Here's a brief explanation of some supplements and the benefits I think would be good for anxiety:

#Zinc - Helps the immune system, increase testosterone, helps the skin heal, improves cognitive function, plays a role in the synthesis of serotonin and can help produce Gaba.
#Vitamin D - Low levels of vitamin D can increase fat levels, Vitamin D can lower insulin, improve serotonin and improve muscle function. It's a lot darker here in the winter and I work inside as a chef with no windows, so my sun exposure is very little, I feel I could benefit from supplementing.
#Magnesium - Helps control stress and cortisol, calming effects, beneficial for sleep, fights depression, aids insulin control.
#Vitamin C - Immunity, antioxidant, lowers insulin, reduces cortisol, increase metabolic energy, improves skin.
#B Complex - Stress depletes B Vitamins, having adequate levels is essential for a functioning nervous system.
#Taurine - Helps produce Gaba, burns fat, supports insulin health, raises testosterone, fights oxidative stress, recover quicker from exercise, better sleep, better brain function.
# Flax seed oil - Reduces inflammation ? Possibly lines the intestines helping to control leaky gut syndrome and aiding in digestion ?
# Fish oil - Increases serotonin, reduces inflammation, turns off fat storage, great stress fighter.

I will add/amend this list as and when. Any suggestions would be great.

As you can see I want to increase serotonin, increase Gaba and control my blood sugar levels and improve my digestion system.

Other supplements and ideas on my mind:
#Tryptophan
#Rhodiola rosea
#NAG
#Glutamine

Each day is an improvement. I seem to take 2 steps forwards and 1.5 steps backwards. Steady progression seems to be key, especially due to my alcohol abuse in the past.

jason009
11-20-2013, 02:31 AM
Hey Jason. I'm 26 from Michigan, US. Just like yourself I used to drink regularly and am finally now cutting back and doing the same thing as you are with vitamins and better diet. I am taking magnesium, iu d, fish oil, and b complex. I have noticed some difference with less alcohol and more vitamins however as you say its 2 steps forward and 1.5 steps back. I've been hearing great things about zinc so am planning on adding that to my daily vitamin list. I still get some chest pains, left arm pain, and shortness of breath even though those symptoms are not as bad as they were. I do still have trouble sleeping and sometimes wake up in the middle of the night with heart palpitations. Been checked out by several doctors that say my heart is fine. Unfortunately, i work full time and go to school full time so don't have much time to escape to the gym. Im hoping that my vitamins and better diet will help me deal with this horrible thing. Keep is posted and best of luck to you bud!

Hey great to hear from you. It's interesting how people end up in similar situations. Yeah I had some heart palpitations and an increased heart rate, my heart was beating so fast I thought it was going to explode, i tried to get my flat mate to take me to hospital, but it passed after I took an aspirin and drank some chamomile tea. I work pretty long hours as a chef, so It's a bit tricky trying to fit in gym time, but I manage to go 4 - 5 times a week.

jessed03
11-20-2013, 02:34 AM
Yeah very good post, very thorough! Will enjoy reading your story as it progresses. You've clearly done a lot of research.

Of course nothing to add here. Just curious if you'll do any of your own psychotherapy like CBT, or some meditation just to complete the holistic healing of the trio; mind, body and spirit? Or are you just going for the body angle?

Good luck with it, I hope those small gains keep adding up for you buddy!

jason009
11-20-2013, 02:37 AM
Very interested in following your story. You are taking a very similar path as I am. I have learned a wealth of information on diet and supplements so feel free to ask me if you have any questions. I was curious which protein powder do you use? I was thinking of introducing that into my diet but was worried about which brand and such to go with. I know a lot of them have a ton of artificial sweeteners. Also, have you felt as specific benefit from the protein powder itself?

Thanks

Hey there, I've just been using a pretty cheap whey protein from bulkpowders.co.uk. It does have sucrolose in it, which is a little concern of mine. I tend to find i'm less hungry during the day and it's easier for me to eat smaller regular meals as opposed to a massive one in my break from work.

As for today and the next few days. I'm going to follow this: Whey protein, taurine, b vitamins, vitamin d and magnesium in the morning. Pysillium husk with food to increase fibre. Zinc, vitamin c, magnesium before bed.

I want to try and keep it basic at the moment and see how I get on. Rather than taking too many things and not knowing if certain items are helping me or hindering me.

nf1234
11-20-2013, 12:09 PM
Yeah im the same way as far as keeping it basic. I only add in one thing at a time and even keep a log of how it makes me feel. My only suggestion at this point would be to try a different form of Magnesium. Magnesium Oxide is extremely poorly absorbed. Some better choices would be Mag citrate, glycinate, or taurate. My favorite kind of magnesium is called Natural Calm. Its powdered and you mix it with warm water and drink. It has been by far the best thing ive tried with immediate results. Check out some of the reviews on Amazon. Other than that goodluck and im curious to see your progress!

jason009
11-20-2013, 04:12 PM
Yeah I've got some mag citrate, been using that since monday, upped the dose a bit as I was worried about the laxative effect. Today has been pretty good, minimal anxiety, only at certain times.

Woke up, took vitamin d3, b complex, taurine, and 50 mg mag citrate followed by a whey protein shake. Then at 10pm this evening I've taken vitamin c, zinc, magnesium. And I'm about to have a chamomile tea.

I will introduce fish oil and aminos again in a week or so, mostly for the health benefits and training benefits, and adjust my supplement plan.

jason009
11-27-2013, 10:47 AM
Been a pretty good week. Currently taking vitamin d, magnesium, and a b complex in the morning, followed by a protein shake. At night I take vitamin c, zinc and magnesium. My diet is gluten free, high in protein, high in vegetables, nuts and seeds as snacks and eggs.

Been pretty much anxiety free for the week.

Vitamin d needs magnesium in order to be utilized properly.

Still improvements to be made, my job as a chef gets incredibly busy this time of year which leaves me with little time and makes me tired. Hopefully with a good diet and weight lifting and exercising when I can I can maintain an anxious free state!

worry_10years
11-27-2013, 11:05 AM
Very interesting post! I am in the same boat I am 27 female and struggled for 10 years. I am over weight and really fed up with my anxiety and intrusive thoughts. I am really into this natural remedy stuff at the moment as nothing else is working. Where can I buy these supplements from? uk

nf1234
11-29-2013, 12:55 PM
Been a pretty good week. Currently taking vitamin d, magnesium, and a b complex in the morning, followed by a protein shake. At night I take vitamin c, zinc and magnesium. My diet is gluten free, high in protein, high in vegetables, nuts and seeds as snacks and eggs.

Been pretty much anxiety free for the week.

Vitamin d needs magnesium in order to be utilized properly.

Still improvements to be made, my job as a chef gets incredibly busy this time of year which leaves me with little time and makes me tired. Hopefully with a good diet and weight lifting and exercising when I can I can maintain an anxious free state!

How many mg's of zinc are you taking?

jason009
12-10-2013, 08:47 AM
Things are going pretty well, little anxiety. Some days I have a little bit, but its never too bad. I've been experienced some kind of weird head buzz, like im too wired, I've been trying to figure out what it is, i've been drinking lots of flavoured water which is full of sucrolose, eating frozen chicken which i've found out is pumped with water and phosphates. So I've eliminated the two aforementioned things and I'll update with progress on that.

I find vitamin d, magnesium and b vitamins in the mornings really the most helpful thing. As well as maintaining a good diet and exercising.

All of the supplements can be easily bought online or in holland and barrett in the uk. The amount of zinc I've been takin is around 7mg a day, so not very much.