PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety and Magnesium

meichmann
11-19-2013, 06:31 AM
Hi Everyone,
So I did a lot of reading and found out that quite a few people with anxiety have used a magnesium supplement and they say it works great. I went and bought some and used it, but it made me feel worse. It felt like a constant onset of a panic attack and just did not make me feel good. has anyone else tried magnesium and felt worse after taking it?

jessed03
11-19-2013, 06:51 AM
Hi Everyone,
So I did a lot of reading and found out that quite a few people with anxiety have used a magnesium supplement and they say it works great. I went and bought some and used it, but it made me feel worse. It felt like a constant onset of a panic attack and just did not make me feel good. has anyone else tried magnesium and felt worse after taking it?

Have you taken any other supplements lately?

meichmann
11-19-2013, 07:36 AM
I usually take a multi-vitamin twice a day and it does have some magnesium in it. do you think the magnesium supplement is too much?

nf1234
11-19-2013, 03:27 PM
Look on the back of the bottle, what kind of Magnesium is it? Magnesium oxide?

RecurringThoughts
11-19-2013, 06:12 PM
I'd talk to my doctor about it, if I were you. Supposedly we urinate out any extra magnesium from our bodies, so it might not make a difference if you meet your daily value.

hiswaywardgirl
11-19-2013, 06:32 PM
I felt a lot calmer after taking magnesium. You might be taking the wrong kind (there are a ton of different types, some better than others), or you might just not need it. You could either try a different type and hope for the best, or not bother with it at all. Unless you're taking a type of magnesium that's known to be low-quality, I'd just avoid it.

meichmann
11-20-2013, 06:19 AM
Sorry for the late reply...

I bought Magnesium Citrate 400mg tabs. Now since I take a multi vitamin 2x a day and a protein drink (both of which totals about 80% RDA for Magnesium), I think I am overdoing it with the tabs. I do know the only vitamins the body stores is vitamin A and potassium. The others it just takes what it needs and flushes out the rest, hence taking vitamins throughout the day to maximize absorption.

I haven't taken the magnesium and I do feel better, so maybe I don't need the extra tabs. I am also thinking of just getting B6, or a BCAA that doesn't have any niacin in it. I was told by my psychologist that niacin can give you the jitters as well.