PDA

View Full Version : anyone else taking lexapro?

ashhleyyyyx
01-11-2008, 11:12 PM
i was just recently as of last tuesday diagnosed with a severe anxiety disorder. i was placed on lexapro and have had results in just 2 days. is this possible? has anyone else had the same effect? i only take 10mg a day and i already feel better, i even slept 2 nights after i took it. its amazing, anyone else have any negative responses with the drug?

RabidBadger
01-12-2008, 01:22 AM
Hi

I have been prescribed Lexapro (or Escitalopram as it's called in UK) on several occasions after asking my doctor for it specifically.

I am agoraphobic and the first time I took it I found that I could walk down the street without a care in the world the same day.

Unfortunately, later when I was prescribed the drug again, the results weren't so immediate and it took about 5 weeks to have an effect.

As far as anti-depressants go, it is one of the better ones because it causes fewer side-effects. I did find that when I first started on it I felt a little nauseas and had a dry mouth but this only lasted about a week.

Like most anti-depressants, you might find that your anxiety increases for a while as your body gets used to the drug.

Best wishes

Chris

Velrose
01-12-2008, 08:13 PM
unfortunately I had a really bad experience with Lexapro. I was on it for about 4 days. Ok, and before you poo poo away my experience, let me explain that I completely and totally understand that one must allow ample time for it to get into their system for the full effect.

For me...those four days I spent in a daze. I was loopy and completely unable to focus on anything. For example, I tried once to make dinner and stood there stirring raw meat in a pan for about 10 minutes before I realized I didn't turn the burner on. >_< I also wandered around the grocery store for two hours because I couldn't focus properly.

My experience came to a head when one night I was in bed with my four year old. (Part of my issues are that I cannot let her sleep in her own room, otherwise I will wake up every half hour to hour to check on her) My husband was at work (he words third shift) and I was completely alone. As I was trying to go to sleep, a most terrifying thought crept into my head. What if I sleepwalk and do something to seriously hurt my daughter. I kept a knife next to my bed, as well as a large cedar cane for protection since i was alone at night, and I kept having these thoughts of what if I use one of those things to hurt her.

It shook me up so badly that I was in tears, shaking and scared to death to go to sleep.

I have never had thoughts like that before in my life. I ended up calling my doctor in the middle of the night in tears. Immediately they pulled me off of the lexapro.

I'm on zoloft now and it seems to be working quite well. I haven't had any serious side effects and I actually feel more normal than I have in months.

If the lexapro works for you, fantastic. I just know it was a miserable experience for me.

NerveFray
02-02-2008, 11:36 PM
unfortunately I had a really bad experience with Lexapro. I was on it for about 4 days. Ok, and before you poo poo away my experience, let me explain that I completely and totally understand that one must allow ample time for it to get into their system for the full effect.

For me...those four days I spent in a daze. I was loopy and completely unable to focus on anything. For example, I tried once to make dinner and stood there stirring raw meat in a pan for about 10 minutes before I realized I didn't turn the burner on. >_< I also wandered around the grocery store for two hours because I couldn't focus properly.

My experience came to a head when one night I was in bed with my four year old. (Part of my issues are that I cannot let her sleep in her own room, otherwise I will wake up every half hour to hour to check on her) My husband was at work (he words third shift) and I was completely alone. As I was trying to go to sleep, a most terrifying thought crept into my head. What if I sleepwalk and do something to seriously hurt my daughter. I kept a knife next to my bed, as well as a large cedar cane for protection since i was alone at night, and I kept having these thoughts of what if I use one of those things to hurt her.

It shook me up so badly that I was in tears, shaking and scared to death to go to sleep.

I have never had thoughts like that before in my life. I ended up calling my doctor in the middle of the night in tears. Immediately they pulled me off of the lexapro.

I'm on zoloft now and it seems to be working quite well. I haven't had any serious side effects and I actually feel more normal than I have in months.

If the lexapro works for you, fantastic. I just know it was a miserable experience for me.

Amen, Velrose. As i shared on another thread, Lexapro made me a zombie. I couldn't stick with it because I need to be mentally alert at work

AlcoholAbuse
02-04-2008, 09:51 PM
I used to take it...

I loved it. I had been prescribed benzos and I couldn't stand them. Once I got on Lexapro I was doing great in only 4 days. I even quit drinking for a whole year and felt better than ever...

Now I live in a new city with no health insurance and no doctor. I am officially back to being bummed on life. I have panic attacks every day and the only thing I end up doing is trying to drink them away.

If anyone knows of a good program for getting cheap meds, please let me know. I am trying to avoid buying them from Tiajuana.

Thanks in advance.

SuperMegaRichard
02-11-2008, 01:48 AM
Anyone have an expereince where thoughts racing through your head. Then you get confused because so many good thoughts and bad thoughts are combining. Sadly Happy, or happily sad. I felt that like a switch cut on in my head, it was terrifying.

bikes4u
04-17-2008, 11:10 AM
if you cant afford your Lexapro you should go to a Dr or call your DR and get your perscript filled at Walmart or any other place that offers $4 generics. I know the initial DR visit will be $100 or so but its the best way to go. My scripts went from $90/month to $4/month. Was great when I didnt have insurance.l

dna_hard
05-15-2008, 12:59 AM
I used to take it...

I loved it. I had been prescribed benzos and I couldn't stand them. Once I got on Lexapro I was doing great in only 4 days. I even quit drinking for a whole year and felt better than ever...

Now I live in a new city with no health insurance and no doctor. I am officially back to being bummed on life. I have panic attacks every day and the only thing I end up doing is trying to drink them away.

If anyone knows of a good program for getting cheap meds, please let me know. I am trying to avoid buying them from Tiajuana.

Thanks in advance.

Why did you move?