PDA

View Full Version : Failed med(Wellbutrin) trial

acetone
11-16-2013, 05:56 AM
I was trying out Wellbutrin(Bupropion). I was curious about it since I have never been on a dopamine reuptake inhibitor before. It was day two and I took 150mg. At night I got the worst constipation of my life. I was farting every 5 seconds(thank god they weren't smelly or I would have taken out my whole neighborhood) and was unable to have a bowel movement. I also got insomnia(another of its side effect) and due to being too tired and not getting enough sleep it triggered anxiety and panic. I quickly took 1 mg ativan and propranolol to calm myself down and quickly went to sleep. Oh well on to the next med.

tailspin
11-16-2013, 05:47 PM
Hi acetone, Sorry Wellbutrin gave you these problems. Could you start off on a lower dose and ramp up more gradually?

It sucks when you can't find a med that works. I've been through all the SSRI's/SNRI's and they just don't help me enough so I need to switch to a different class of meds.

What are you thinking of trying next? I am wary of Wellbutrin and was thinking of giving Remeron/Mirtazapine a go. Do you have any experience with that medication??

Good luck to you!

acetone
11-17-2013, 02:16 AM
I am also thinking about trying Mirtazapine next. I hope it helps with my insomnia. About Wellbutrin I have read that the constipation side effect does not usually go away. Such a disappointment.

jessed03
11-17-2013, 02:20 AM
I am also thinking about trying Mirtazapine next. I hope it helps with my insomnia. About Wellbutrin I have read that the constipation side effect does not usually go away. Such a disappointment.

As an ex mirtazapine user, I have every faith it will help with sleep if you did decide to try it.

acetone
11-17-2013, 05:59 AM
That's good to hear Jess.

JLBnole68
11-17-2013, 06:09 AM
I had no luck and some of these issues with Wellbutrin as well. I'm taking Lexapro now and it has worked much better for me. Best of luck. Hope you find something that works for you soon. Don't get discouraged.

acetone
11-18-2013, 01:14 AM
Oh I had a weird last night. I can't tell whether I was sleeping or awake the entire night. I had wild dreams as well. Must be due to to the remaining Bupropion in my system.