PDA

View Full Version : Started Zoloft again....

trinidiva
11-15-2013, 08:36 PM
So, after finally coming to grips that my anxiety has indeed returned and seems to be here for the long haul.....I decided to restart my Zoloft. I hope it works as well as it did the first time around...and I'm hoping for no side effects....guess I'm hoping for a lot.

Here is my question.....is there a recommended amt of time to take an SSRI....or can you safely take it over a long stretch of time? Are they like benzos where eventually you WILL have to up the amt you take to achieve the same result? The first time around I only took Zoloft for about six months and it worked so well I felt like I didn't need anything at all anymore.....

acetone
11-16-2013, 05:43 AM
It cannot be predicted whether or not you'll have to up the dose in future. SSRIs are meant to be taken for long term.

trinidiva
11-16-2013, 09:46 AM
Thanks so much for your answers guys. I have never been a fan of meds but after fighting anxiety so hard that I'm not eating or sleeping. ....I think that I need to just take the meds so that I can function and be a better mother and wife.

tailspin
11-16-2013, 06:00 PM
Really hope the Zoloft helps you again, trini. I know of several people who have been on anti-depressants for a very long time and they haven't had to alter their dose. Other people do need to increase the dosage after a while, or switch to a new drug altogether. That's kind of the situation I'm in. I'm looking to transition to a new class of medication.

At any rate, it's great that Zoloft helped you so much before and I really hope it will do so again! Wishing you the very best!

trinidiva
11-16-2013, 06:55 PM
Really hope the Zoloft helps you again, trini. I know of several people who have been on anti-depressants for a very long time and they haven't had to alter their dose. Other people do need to increase the dosage after a while, or switch to a new drug altogether. That's kind of the situation I'm in. I'm looking to transition to a new class of medication.

At any rate, it's great that Zoloft helped you so much before and I really hope it will do so again! Wishing you the very best!

Thank you so much. I'm about to take my second dosage in just a bit....I had a little bit of heightened anxiety but enjoyed my day, more or less. I'm hopeful that it will work as well as the first time and hopeful that I don't have to do too many adjustments... I'm not too comfortable taking meds in the first place....even simple things like motrin or cough medicine.