PDA

View Full Version : Any advice to help me deal with stress?

skybluebird
11-15-2013, 07:02 PM
So.. I'll try it make this as short and simple as possible. I'm in 10th grade and since 8th grade I've been creating bad habits and ways of dealing with my stress. My stress is usually school based (I'm a perfectionist and really hard on myself).. But my stress can also be caused by things that stress out every other teenage girl; I also think I probably have some small anxiety issues- I'm fearful of a lot and always tend to think of the worst case scenarios of everything. Anyway, I've dealt with this stuff in a few ways over the years. In 8th grade I started with silently clenching my fists and digging my nails into my own skin. That grew to taking sharp objects and gripping them in my hands. I then started having urges to cut, and a couple of times I did. I still have extreme urges to cut but force myself not to. I also bite my lip a lot, which is getting pretty bad and resulting in my lips always being chapped and sensitive.
I realized the correlation of stress and wanting to, in a way, punish myself by finding different ways to cause some pain to myself. And I like it. But I know it is wrong. Now I am asking if there is any alternatives that I could do in response to my stress? Something I will enjoy. Please do no suggest breathing exercises, I am a naturally shallow breather and I just can't stand taking deep breaths. Thanks for your help.

embrace123
11-15-2013, 07:42 PM
Reading a book?

skybluebird
11-15-2013, 07:58 PM
I honestly have close to no time for many things like reading, because I have so much homework and when I'm not doing that I like to be with friends. I'm good when I'm with friends but it's when I'm by myself that is when the bad habits come out.

embrace123
11-15-2013, 08:07 PM
Doesn't it hurt when you do that? How about you pray.

skybluebird
11-15-2013, 08:23 PM
... Actually I'm not religious

embrace123
11-15-2013, 09:34 PM
Oh I understand.

Dahila
11-15-2013, 10:21 PM
I agree with the above. Go and live, try to learn how to breath with your lower lungs not the top. Taking enough oxygen in , makes wonders.