PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts drving you sideways... loss of control

Brockb86
11-14-2013, 10:14 PM
So this has been happening as long as I can remember it but tonight my symptoms hit me and I feel like I have to reach out and look for help- look for someone to understand. Anytime a change happens to me, one that I dont see coming such as right now we are changing the structure of the way we do things at work I immediately seize up, my heart begins to race and I go into worst case scenario mode looking for whomever can give me reassuring answers or at least the answers behind what happened. I have now been up for hours freaking out about something I cannot control and I do not yet know if its a good or bad thing and yet I will probably be up all night. I have trouble breathing and concentrating.. and I just feel like jumping out of my own skin.

Please tell me know you deal with things! How do you deal with it when you lose control or cannot handle change?

If it helps anyone I am on citalopram for depression, seroquil to help with sleeplessness and finally valium for anxiety but it doesnt work great...

I feel so messed up right now... and just scared.

Perses
11-15-2013, 07:56 AM
Brock -- I have the same problem. My anxiety shifts into high gear when I'm faced with a new situation. I think it would be the rare person that doesn't feel some apprehension from changing circumstances. I take medication to help me deal with stress, so that's one way I work to prevent myself from losing control. Alcoholics Anonymous' Serenity prayer begins: God, give me grace to accept with serenity the things that cannot be changed, Courage to change the things which should be changed, and the Wisdom to distinguish the one from the other. I always appreciate that first line. There's nothing you can do until the implementation of the new system goes in to place, except perhaps do research (if that's possible) on what this change would entail for you. The better prepared you are, or the more you can figure out what's up, the more prepared you'll be.

Since you're also on medication, I might think about taking a bit more valium to help you get over this bumpy period. Talk to your doctor. I promise you this too shall pass, and in all likelihood you'll find the change itself easy to handle.