PDA

View Full Version : Started therapy and feeling worse.

temperancebrennan
11-13-2013, 04:57 PM
I started therapy (which will be mixed with hypnotherapy along the way) about 4 weeks ago. Since I started, I have been feeling worse. I'm not sure if it's because I'm bringing things to the surface that I've hidden for so long, or if it's just not going to work for me. It is costing a lot of money, so I don't want it to be a waste. I felt so positive about it, going in to it, but I've had panic attacks quite frequently recently and I have been crying a lot - at home and at work.

I'm not sure what to do. I want to manage my anxiety by sorting my confidence out, but I seem to be going backwards at the moment :(

kelseyt
11-13-2013, 06:06 PM
I think you have to go right to the core and break yourself down to truly start fixing yourself. This is probably what your therapist is trying to do. The thing with anxiety is we disconnect ourselves from reality and block out things that could be causing it.

From this therapy you're staring at it blank in the face, this will cause you some distress for a while but I think it you continue with the therapy you'll start to see some improvements. :)

Tranquility_Seeker
11-14-2013, 04:02 AM
Please stick with therapy..I've found in my own experience it really does help. Kelseyt made a great point about breaking yourself down to fix yourself...It's hard work sometimes, but worth it in the end!

meichmann
11-14-2013, 06:25 AM
Stick with the therapy please. It always gets worse before it gets better because of repressed memories and feelings that come out. My second and third visit to the psychologist was the worst. All those memories of my childhood I wanted to forget came out, I just wanted to punch someone. But, since then it has gotten better. I now really look forward to going and seeing what else is behind all this.

The hardest part of seeing a professional is actually getting there. Once you get in the door, the rest is cake. Glad to see you are going!