PDA

View Full Version : For those of you who have beat anxiety

Olive Yew
11-10-2013, 07:42 PM
Did you go through a stage when you felt like.... Really pretty good but had just enough anxiety that you felt... Different? Not bad. Not uncomfortable really... Just different... Ok maybe SLIGHTLY uncomfy... It's hard to describe. I'm hoping i'm nearing the end of my struggles

Dahila
11-10-2013, 09:45 PM
I wish you luck, I honestly hope you can beat it:)

jessed03
11-10-2013, 10:45 PM
It can take a fair while for your amygdala ( the little walnut like fear centre in your brain) to, I guess the phrase would be, 'quit over reacting'. Until that happens, you will feel slightly 'off', just because you don't yet have permission from your brain to let go of your episode, and fully return to normal.

It does take time.

Even if you're healthier, have better thinking patterns, freak out less, and have generally improved, you'll feel the inevitable benefits of those improvements, but won't feel 'normal' until your amygdala is much less reactive, and it can ONLY do that with your help.

And -- the way to help is simple. Stop all reactivity. Stop it for a long period of time.

Ensure negative fearful thoughts are worked on and aren't interacted with. Ensure all bad moments are neutralized through acceptance and encouraging talk. Eliminate physical re-activity through good living, exercise and relaxation. Ensure Serotonin is in good supply to make sure mood problems don't get in the way.

It's important to do it all of the time. Sometimes won't work. You gotta cease all reactivity. Don't worry, it's fine to do it slowly.

The less reactivity there is, the more it signals to your amygdala that there is no problem, and for it to reduce sensitivity, until, little by little, it does, and you feel much more normal.

Thats why people who still freak out over heart fears or the like, will just never get better until that stops. Theres just too much stimulus for the amygdala to use and react to. It will never 'switch off' like that. Ever. It's evolutionary hardwired not to. It's job is to protect you by giving you anxiety responses to things you react poorly to. Theres no cheating nature.

It sounds as though you are doing the right things though, and are moving through the stages of recovery. I think you'll be just fine pretty soon. Keep it up, keep improving :)

Keep enjoying #DatMissouriLife

Olive Yew
11-11-2013, 06:34 AM
It can take a fair while for your amygdala ( the little walnut like fear centre in your brain) to, I guess the phrase would be, 'quit over reacting'. Until that happens, you will feel slightly 'off', just because you don't yet have permission from your brain to let go of your episode, and fully return to normal. It does take time. Even if you're healthier, have better thinking patterns, freak out less, and have generally improved, you'll feel the inevitable benefits of those improvements, but won't feel 'normal' until your amygdala is much less reactive, and it can ONLY do that with your help. And -- the way to help is simple. Stop all reactivity. Stop it for a long period of time. Ensure negative fearful thoughts are worked on and aren't interacted with. Ensure all bad moments are neutralized through acceptance and encouraging talk. Eliminate physical re-activity through good living, exercise and relaxation. Ensure Serotonin is in good supply to make sure mood problems don't get in the way. It's important to do it all of the time. Sometimes won't work. You gotta cease all reactivity. Don't worry, it's fine to do it slowly. The less reactivity there is, the more it signals to your amygdala that there is no problem, and for it to reduce sensitivity, until, little by little, it does, and you feel much more normal. Thats why people who still freak out over heart fears or the like, will just never get better until that stops. Theres just too much stimulus for the amygdala to use and react to. It will never 'switch off' like that. Ever. It's evolutionary hardwired not to. It's job is to protect you by giving you anxiety responses to things you react poorly to. Theres no cheating nature. It sounds as though you are doing the right things though, and are moving through the stages of recovery. I think you'll be just fine pretty soon. Keep it up, keep improving :) Keep enjoying #DatMissouriLife

Thank you! I'm so excited! Cant wait to beat this thing entirely ^_^

jessed03
11-11-2013, 07:34 AM
Thank you! I'm so excited! Cant wait to beat this thing entirely ^_^

How long have you had anxiety for btw Olive?

Olive Yew
11-11-2013, 07:40 AM
4 months. The first two and a half were hell.