PDA

View Full Version : Fear of low blood sugar?

hiswaywardgirl
11-09-2013, 11:30 PM
So I recently went through some poor dieting choices that caused issues with low blood sugar/feeling very faint. I've also been highly stressed in general, and started having panic attacks about a month ago. These two issues have sort of combined to the point that I have panic attacks when I think my blood sugar is low (which is my first thought at any given anxiety-related symptom), and feel like I HAVE to eat something in order to feel better. I know logically that eating won't make me less anxious, but I can't stop wanting to "fix" the potential low blood sugar issue.

It's getting extremely frustrating, and I've been gaining weight since this issue began. Please help!! I know this is an oddball issue, but if you have any advice or suggestions, it would mean a lot. <3

hiswaywardgirl
11-10-2013, 11:17 AM
Anyone...?

I should add that symptoms of low blood sugar and anxiety are very similar -- dizziness, feeling faint, heart palpitations, loss of coordination, vision problems, shaking, and numbness. And I'm not diabetic. I just restricted my calories to the point of nearly fainting a few times, and now those panic attack symptoms are triggering me to eat.

The overeating/constant fear of not eating enough is just really restricting my life. :(

hiswaywardgirl
11-10-2013, 09:37 PM
Panic in the body can be triggered by low sugar . Also when flight and fright starts it releases sugar as it is needed .

Eat well , look at a hypoglycemic diet which is more of less a diabetic diet.

Fix it before it builds to a bigger fear .
Thank you! I'll do some more research on that type of diet, and try to push through it before it becomes a bigger fear...

Just curious, what do you mean that the fight/flight response releases sugar as needed?

Dahila
11-10-2013, 09:44 PM
Oh I was dealing with it for a few months when I was dieting and exercising every day, I always thought it is panic attack, then someone told me about blood sugar being low. I have not touch the carbs, this why. Eating some bread stopped it. If it was that easy with the panic attacks? I did not recognize which is which..

hiswaywardgirl
11-10-2013, 10:37 PM
Oh I was dealing with it for a few months when I was dieting and exercising every day, I always thought it is panic attack, then someone told me about blood sugar being low. I have not touch the carbs, this why. Eating some bread stopped it. If it was that easy with the panic attacks? I did not recognize which is which..
That's my problem, too, I have a hard time telling which is which!

Does avoiding carbs seem to help? It's crazy how dieting and exercising the wrong way can mess with your body...

Dahila
11-11-2013, 09:31 AM
hiswaywardgirl I started to eat normally and it was not so often. I could feel the difference. With the low sugar I am dizzy also. No so often with the panic attack. The strange thing it happens always around 6 or 7 pm. I eat bread ((put some pounds on) :( but i bake it. It has low glycemic profile because it is sourdough bread with only a bit of unbleached white flour. I have always a small chocolate with me. Dieting does not help us, we need to use moderation in what we eat, try to eat natural foods, Believe me it helps with anxiety too.

nf1234
11-11-2013, 02:52 PM
Low blood sugar is my worst symptom but I truly do have low blood sugar. I have found changing my diet helps a lot. Cut out all sugar and high glycemix foods. Look up glycemix index for more info. Try to have fat, protein, and good complex carbs with every meal. Try eating 5 smaller meals instead of 3 big ones. And don't worry about the low blood sugar. As long as you are eating right you don't need to worry about it and over eat. Your body can raise sugar levels without food. When your blood sugar drops your body releases cortisol and adrenaline. Thats what gives you the anxious feeling. The cortisol converts stored sugars in your body into glucose and therefore raises your blood sugar. Look at people in survival situations. They can go weeks without eating as long as they have adequate hydration.

So look up hypoglycemic diets and glycemix index. Implement the diet changes and then let go. Your body will take care of you. Don't add un-needed anxiety to it.

hiswaywardgirl
11-11-2013, 06:56 PM
Low blood sugar is my worst symptom but I truly do have low blood sugar. I have found changing my diet helps a lot. Cut out all sugar and high glycemix foods. Look up glycemix index for more info. Try to have fat, protein, and good complex carbs with every meal. Try eating 5 smaller meals instead of 3 big ones. And don't worry about the low blood sugar. As long as you are eating right you don't need to worry about it and over eat. Your body can raise sugar levels without food. When your blood sugar drops your body releases cortisol and adrenaline. Thats what gives you the anxious feeling. The cortisol converts stored sugars in your body into glucose and therefore raises your blood sugar. Look at people in survival situations. They can go weeks without eating as long as they have adequate hydration.

So look up hypoglycemic diets and glycemix index. Implement the diet changes and then let go. Your body will take care of you. Don't add un-needed anxiety to it.
Thank you!! That is really reassuring. I know I can implement the changes, but letting go is the hard part... lol. I think having those facts in mind will really help when the anxiety kicks in.