PDA

View Full Version : Scared to take medication...

serenity113001
01-08-2008, 01:42 PM
I have always had anxiety but nothing that would make me unable to perform normal tasks until last week that is when I had a horrible panic attack that has left me enduring severe anxiety/panic attacks ever since. I went to urgent care and they injected me with xanax and then gave me a prescription for that and lexapro. Xanax helps ease the anxiety but it doesn't cure it of course, and since it is highly addictive I don't want to continue to rely on it to help me make it through the day. The lexapro had horrible side effects and my doctor took me off of it. I have an appointment tomorrow to see my doctor (my reg doctor the doctor who prescribed the original meds was not) and I am fearful of taking medication for anxiety again due to all of the horrible side effects that I have read about and because I don't think it is curing my problem just pacifiying it. I am interested in therapy and see that my HMO covers psychiatric care but how much does that cost typically with you insurance? I just want to feel better and make it through the day but I am growing more hopeless and just want to feel normal again like I did a damn week ago...Any advice for me please? I have been under a great deal of stress lately and pretty much homebound for the past two weeks. I feel better when I am out of the house but right now money is limited until my job gets back to me (long stressful story). Any advice or support would be greatly appreciated before I see my Doctor tomorrow. Thanks :)

isis2383
01-09-2008, 11:44 AM
Im the same way you are... Our stories are similar. I had a wicked panic attack about 2 months ago and have had them multiple times a day since. I tried lexapro once and the side effects where so wicked I had to come off it (only after one day). Well things didnt get better with time so I am on lexapro again (day 16) and since I am so sensitive to meds my starting dose is 2.5mg and I also take xanax with that (was on klonopin but switched). I too dread taking meds but I realized that I need some help and maybe the side effects will be worth sticking out (least that is what I tell myself everyday while I curse at the pills before I take them). I am terrified of taking medication too so I know where you are coming from. Maybe you and a psychiatrist can explore a different medication or start you out at a smaller dose? If you are completely uncomfortable taking meds all together then seeing a psychotherapist may be key to what you need. I would call your insurance company to find out who is in your network, how many sessions are covered, and what your co-pay will be. In my case I get 22 sessions a year and my co-pays are $30 a visit... However everyones insurance plans and coverage are different (that was just an example). Just know that you are not alone. I think you should tell your doc exactly what you have stated here in your post. Honesty and concern is the best policy. Im wishing you the best of luck and hang in there. It is a struggle, and people who dont have anxiety/panic disorders really dont have a clue... heck i didnt tell I got the disorder myself!

squirt
01-14-2008, 07:05 PM
Sometimes you need medicine. I would try and stay away from the benzo class of meds if possible (yes xanax is a benzo) and stick with the anti-depressants if you have to take meds. The main problem with drug therapy is that too many people are doing it alone and expect it to cure the problem. It helps but only a to a limited degree. But if used properly with cbt, therapy it can be awesome and you can get off meds if you learn the cbt skills.

Robbed
01-15-2008, 06:57 PM
Then again, maybe you really don't need medication. I think that, all too often, medication is something that is shoved down people's throats. GPs, psychiatrists, and even psychologists typically tell people that the NEED long-term medication ASAP when they very well might not. And this only worsens anxiety since it plays into your fears that anxiety means never living a normal life again (ie NEEDING to take meds for life). Remember that it is actually the fear of anxiety more than anything else that keeps it going. And, unfortunately, when it comes to the people who should be helping you (ie psychiatrists, psychologists, etc), they are all to often VERY willing to oblige when it comes to helping to make anxiety conditions something to fear. My advice? Don't go on medication as a first resort. As a first resort, I would recommend some good self-help material. If you really don't need it, you are just better off not taking any medication. Only if your anxiety does not seem to improve with time despite your best efforts to deal with it by non-drug means should you consider medication.

isis2383
01-16-2008, 01:05 PM
Medication was my last resort. I have major clinical depression, severe anxiety/panic/stress disorder and agoraphobia. I tried just therapy and it wasnt cutting it so I had to give it a try. The goal is for me to get off of xanax once I reach a higher dose of lexapro. Im only on 2.5 mg of it right now because I am very sensitive to meds and the side effects are wicked. Im upping it to 5 mg in the next two weeks and then we will evaluate in a month to see if I need to up it to 10. My pdoc told me with time I wont need the xanax anymore. I know it is addictive but since I fear taking meds I dont abuse it. I take less than half of a .25mg at night and then another half in the morning so I can chill out and get to work. My pdoc was very supportive when I told her I didnt want to go on meds, but after major struggle for a month I decided it was time to give it a try. My moods where outta of control, I cried all the time, I was having attacks at least three times a day. Im willing to try anything. I do intend to do CBT with the meds, maybe some acupuncture, and self help books. Im not relying on the meds to fix my problems. I know it doesnt work that way.

Robbed
01-16-2008, 08:33 PM
Just remember one thing about therapy: most therapists are either completely worthless OR are going to make things worse. And finding a good therapist is goig to be challenging, to say the least. For this reason, I recommend GOOD self-help. And by GOOD, I don't just mean something that is written by some PhD from some fancy-schmancy school. I mean something that was written by someone wo actually overcame anxiety themselves OR by a well-known name when it comes to anxiety (ie Claire Weekes). Patience is also paramount. You are not going to overcome anxiety in a few days or even months. Count on several months to a few years before you are yourself again. This may sound horrible. BUT, things get better during that time (although yu WILL have setbacks). Also, if you think you will be fully better in a short time, this will cause additional stress (and, therefore, anxiety) if you are not. And, most likely, reovery WILL take time.

squirt
02-22-2008, 03:39 PM
Isis I'm glad you are gonna give CBT a try. I think a lot of the advice you received about hit and miss nature of finding a good therapist is really accurate. I was lucky but really with CBT it is all self help anyway so if you are motivated and don't need someone to push you every step of the way that is the way to go and you'll save a bunch of money that way too. I also agree about being wary of PhD's and lean towards people who have been through it themselves like Sam Obitz and Lucinda Bassett. Be patient with yourself and you will get better if you work on yourself.

Beachgirl
05-14-2008, 06:03 PM
Cbt is really cool and if you work on the tea forms in that book bt sam obitz you will learn to handle your anxiety no matter the situation.

trackstar
06-02-2008, 10:57 AM
Consider joining a cbt group. I just finished one and it will teach you skills to help you manage your anxiety and it only takes 16-weeks.
Meds suck!

Free2fly
06-10-2008, 08:17 AM
Meds work well for some people. I had a terrible experience. I expected they would work well for me, but on the FIRST pill (Citalopram) I took, I burned all over, panicked, laid in bed crying to take the feelings away... just, not nice. I've never felt so terrible in my life, it was as if someone put the crazy-switch on.
Doc said it's rare but can happen to people. She tried to give me a weaker SSRI and it was better but still bad. I now only use beta-blockers to calm the physiological side of anxiety, but nothing for my mood. I'm scared of taking any meds now apart from the BBs.
Many people have great success on them - the only way to know is to try.

Robbed
06-17-2008, 09:11 PM
Consider joining a cbt group. I just finished one and it will teach you skills to help you manage your anxiety and it only takes 16-weeks.
Meds suck!

Just remember that you have to try the right kind of CBT. Most CBT out there uses TEA forms. And although this form of CB T is good for worriers, it is not so good for people who are not really worriers, but are simply experiencing anxiety as a result of chronic/acute stress. TEA forms can cause REAL problems when experiencing free-floating anxiety - a common symptom of those whose problem is more the result of stress than worry.

Beachgirl
06-24-2008, 06:22 PM
The more non-med things you try the better imo. Robbed is right that TEA forms are especially effective for worriers and I have a hard time seeing a downside with them because they work great for most people, but I'm just me so I can't say how they affect others, but everyone I know who has used the TEA form method of CBT has received measurable relief. If they don't work for you, you can simply stop them and try something else. They say this type of CBT is over 85% effective in treating anxiety disorders so the risk reward ratio does not get much better than that and certainly beats meds risk reward ratio. Food for thought :)

Robbed
06-25-2008, 01:17 AM
The more non-med things you try the better imo. Robbed is right that TEA forms are especially effective for worriers and I have a hard time seeing a downside with them because they work great for most people, but I'm just me so I can't say how they affect others, but everyone I know who has used the TEA form method of CBT has received measurable relief. If they don't work for you, you can simply stop them and try something else. They say this type of CBT is over 85% effective in treating anxiety disorders so the risk reward ratio does not get much better than that and certainly beats meds risk reward ratio. Food for thought :)

My problem with TEA forms is that they can make you try to figure out that which cannot be figured out. And this is a BIG problem when it comes to anxiety. As you probably know, trying to figure out anxiety and 'find a way out' causes LOTS of stress, which leads to more anxiety. Overanalysis often IS the problem. As Claire Weekes says, it is best to just 'give up the fight'. Unless you really KNOW that you are having unhealthy thoughts, I found it is best to keep the TEA forms away.

Beachgirl
06-27-2008, 11:32 AM
I agree that overanalyzing things is a huge trap and needs to be avoided! I would say if you do not make any of the common thinking errors that cause most anxiety there is no need for the TEA form exercise. However, if you do I think you need to deal with them and fix those thoughts just like you would deal with any fixable problem you have and they work great for getting rid of inaccurate thoughts that cause anxiety.
In essence what the TEA form does is help you retrain your brain to learn to live in the present and since most anxiety is about what happens next or in the future if you can get out of your head and back into living your life the anxiety disappears.

squirt
07-16-2008, 10:54 AM
I think you need to give up the fight and counter your thoughts in a TEA form for a good two pronged approach. Fighting the anxiety is always a bad idea!

trackstar
07-30-2008, 08:23 PM
The TEA forms have helped me a great deal fwiw.

Robbed
07-30-2008, 10:30 PM
I think you need to give up the fight and counter your thoughts in a TEA form for a good two pronged approach. Fighting the anxiety is always a bad idea!

Then again, the way I see things, TEA forms are fighting, and NOT accepting.

Beachgirl
08-17-2008, 10:57 AM
Point taken but I would say they are accepting and then taking steps to deal with.... Robbed, did you see the post I wanted to make a sticky? How do threads become stick posts?

Thanks.

Beachgirl
02-07-2009, 09:40 PM
Hey Robbed I hope your life is going well. I miss our exchanges on here. Hope 2009 is a great year for you and sorry I have not been posting much, busy, busy, busy these days and a bit self-indulgent lately but what's a girl to do :tongue:

trackstar
05-01-2009, 11:56 PM
Point taken but I would say they are accepting and then taking steps to deal with....
Thanks.

I would have to agree with you. I like that they acknowledge the errors and then correct them.

tmays
05-28-2009, 02:53 PM
I have felt so much better than I ever felt on meds since I finished my cbt group and got off my meds. I am still countering my thoughts in tea forms and they do a good job of keeping me on an even keel and I feel like I am continuing to grow and feel even less anxious.

Beachgirl
06-11-2009, 06:57 PM
Good job Tmays and welcome to these boards.

trackstar
06-13-2009, 08:53 AM
Good to see you Beach and nice post Tmays. We need more people posting about the benefits of non-pharm treatments. I hate how the pharm industry controls the message to many patients (including mines) detriment.

Giz
06-13-2009, 04:48 PM
Sometimes you need medicine. I would try and stay away from the benzo class of meds if possible (yes xanax is a benzo) and stick with the anti-depressants if you have to take meds. The main problem with drug therapy is that too many people are doing it alone and expect it to cure the problem. .

As someone who initially swallowed the doctors "you will need meds to get into a place where you are ready for therapy" line, I would have to respectfully disagree.

There is no science behind anti depressants. They are based on a theoretical idea put forth by psychiatrists. Clinical trials are not conducted to rate the effectiveness of their use over long period of time, in fact, research by some psychiatrists have found that long term the effects of anti depressants are negligible. Prompting the psychiatrists involved in the research to conclude that at best, the anti depressants work via the placebo effect.

Now, on the other hand, if doctors still learned about nutrition in college the answers would become more apparent. (what was that in the Hippocratic Oath about letting food be thy medicine??)
We all know that we need vitamins and minerals. But most of our knowledge about nutrition is incredibly limited, I know until I actually studied nutrition I had no interest in it, and most of what I knew I knew from magazines and tv-and most of it was just media hype based around promotions as opposed to actual research..(and quite confusing to boot)

Thing is, being low on some vitamins/minerals, or having imbalances, or many other things can cause your brain to act up a bit, make you feel like youre losing it. Modern medicine is obsessed with treating the symptoms and not the cause and then we end up even more ill with side effects than we were to start with, taking more and more drugs to cope..

Now say for example, like me, you just needed more B vitamins and to watch your blood sugar, would it not make more sense to address the issues with the food (seeing as Im going to be eating anyway-I would die if I didnt..) before I start taking drugs that even the people pushing them arent sure how they work..

I would strongly advise that anyone serious about getting better see a qualified Nutritional Therapist, not a dietician, or nutritionist, but someone who actually uses food as medicine. You have nothing to lose (except maybe any excess weight). The only side effects are better health, more energy and better quality of life..

Having said that, nutrition is not the magical be all cure-exercise and therapy (whether it be creative therapies, complementary therapies, groups, counselling etc) are equally important.. Its about treating your whole being, not just one aspect..

trackstar
06-15-2009, 08:13 PM
I think the more non med treatments you try the more likely you will find something that helps you.

TULA
06-17-2009, 12:06 PM
Hi

As a newcomer to this forum and a sufferer from anxiety, I'm really confused over this medication issue.

I keep reading about users of certain drugs e.g. citalopram and trazodone as well as prozac and I'm getting more and more confused.!

Can anyone advise a safe and uncomplicated rouite please ?

Giz
06-17-2009, 04:47 PM
Hi Tula, Welcome to the forum..

Not quite sure what you mean by the uncomplicated route? Are you asking about medication or alternative/complementary methods? Or are you just lost at sea in all these drug names etc?
You will find all sorts here, people who are pro medication as well as people who are against. But the main thing that you need to remember is that we are all individuals, and as such, we all hold the key to resolving our own issues. Its about trying a few things out and seeing what works for YOU.

There is a forum dedicated to medication here if you need advice about a drug, and as I mentioned above a trip to a nutritional therapist would certainly not go a miss as many mental issues stem from underlying dietary problems, if this is what lies at the root of your problem then attacking this cause will naturally alleviate your symptoms.
On the other hand if your problems are related to events or traumas then you may need some counselling as well as the support you get here.

Above all else, keep your wits about you, and dont expect a quick fix. Allow yourself however long it took you to get sick to get better. Quick fixes will never be a permanent solution, and if anything deserves to have time spent on it, its your health.

The best of luck to you in finding YOUR solution.

Giz

Robbed
06-18-2009, 05:57 PM
Allow yourself however long it took you to get sick to get better.

Allow yourself LONGER than it took you to get sick to get better.

melibra23
06-24-2009, 09:04 AM
Hi

As a newcomer to this forum and a sufferer from anxiety, I'm really confused over this medication issue.

I keep reading about users of certain drugs e.g. citalopram and trazodone as well as prozac and I'm getting more and more confused.!

Can anyone advise a safe and uncomplicated rouite please ?

Well taking medicines is a temporary solution but doesn't heal the root cause of anxiety ,which recurs once we stop medication.

There are different medicines and ways to treat anxiety.But i have always been an admirer of Natural treatments that are safe and have no side effects thats how i got rid of my anxiety problem after bearing it for long.

tmays
06-25-2009, 10:44 AM
Thanks for all the replies. Tula definitely give cbt a try. My group helped me a lot and I am still using the TEA forms and feeling better and getting rid of more thinking patterns that were causing my problems/anxiety.

Beachgirl
08-22-2009, 07:48 PM
Good to see you Beach and nice post Tmays. We need more people posting about the benefits of non-pharm treatments. I hate how the pharm industry controls the message to many patients (including mines) detriment.

Thanks and great to see so many others joining in here :mrgreen:

tmays
09-14-2009, 03:04 PM
Good to see you back posting Beachgirl. How are you doing? I hope you had a fun summer and are anxiety neutral :mrgreen:

trackstar
10-12-2009, 02:17 PM

Thanks and great to see so many others joining in here :mrgreen:

The more we all counter the message the pharm industry is trying to spread the better. Not only hac CBT been more effective for me than meds ever were it has saved me a ton of money and built my self-esteem and self-confidence.

squirt
10-14-2009, 02:26 PM
The more we all counter the message the pharm industry is trying to spread the better. Not only hac CBT been more effective for me than meds ever were it has saved me a ton of money and built my self-esteem and self-confidence.

I totally agree with this. Were it not for CBT and The TEA forms I would still going on and off of meds and probably still be miserable.

Beachgirl
10-27-2009, 03:47 PM
Good to see you back posting Beachgirl. How are you doing? I hope you had a fun summer and are anxiety neutral :mrgreen:
Thx. I'm doing great. How are you?

Beachgirl
10-27-2009, 03:49 PM

I totally agree with this. Were it not for CBT and The TEA forms I would still going on and off of meds and probably still be miserable.

I'm with you guys and totally agree! :P

squirt
11-19-2009, 03:24 PM
Thanks beach and I am glad you are having success :D

tmays
11-25-2009, 07:37 PM
Thx. I'm doing great. How are you?

Good to hear you are great and I'm doing really well too. thanks for asking...

Off subject anyone else notice the add at the top of these pages has the word "dehabilitating" which I do not think is a word? Instead of debilitating? Kind of counter productive if you are trying to sell a product...

JA
11-25-2009, 10:26 PM
I am exactly the same. I've now developed a phobia of ANY type of medication regardless of what it is due to it's side effects. I asked my doctor for an anti-depressant thinking that maybe it would help me with my stress levels. However, 3 hours after taking it I woke up in a cold sweat (felt like my body was made out of ice), extremely pale, unable to walk without feeling like I would pass out, I couldn't breathe properly.. I had to be takin to the hospital where they just injected me with some IV fluids... The doctor there then perscribed me a medication specifically for when a panic/anxiety attack is about to occur to ease the situation...but I never took it because obviously after that experience I never wanted to take medication again...I'm scared to consume anything be it alchohol, caffine, anything that isn't natural....

tmays
12-05-2009, 12:47 PM
JA Give CBT a try. The TEA forms work great and way better than any med i ever took with no side effects :)

Beachgirl
12-10-2009, 05:28 PM
JA give cbt a try and if you do the TEA forms everyday I think you will feel better sooner than you think :)

Glad everyone else is doing well and happy holidays :mrgreen:

black25
01-11-2010, 10:02 AM
I find that when you take medication there are always very high risks to create more problems than you had to begin with.

Finding a natural alternative is very important me!

tmays
01-19-2010, 04:01 PM
Black25 read the cbt book by Sam Obitz and give the TEA forms a try. They have helped me more than any of the meds I was ever on.

black25
01-21-2010, 08:53 PM
Black25 read the cbt book by Sam Obitz and give the TEA forms a try. They have helped me more than any of the meds I was ever on.

I'll check it out! Thanks! Sounds awesome

Beachgirl
02-03-2010, 08:57 PM

Black25, the book he mentioned is good and TEA forms are amazing if you use them, but you have to use them everyday until they become second nature to you. Which has been worth it to me :D

tmays
02-26-2010, 03:15 PM

Hope they have helped you. Let me know if I can be of any help :)

squirt
03-12-2010, 01:50 PM
Not to pile on lol... but the advice about the Obitz book and the TEA forms is on the money. They have changed my life and I feeling happier and better than ever.

Beachgirl
03-23-2010, 05:35 PM
Black are you using the TEA forms? I hope you are having success with them if you are. You really need to do them everyday until you get the hang of them :)

stoptheanxiety
03-25-2010, 08:40 PM

Very much agreed. They are making so much money off of us. Ive been reading alot about the natural way. Im thinking that may be the way to go.

tmays
04-05-2010, 05:29 PM

Very much agreed. They are making so much money off of us. Ive been reading alot about the natural way. Im thinking that may be the way to go.

Getting off meds has worked well for me, but you need to learn coping skills first imo. Let me know if you need any advice?

trackstar
05-28-2010, 12:13 PM

It was certainly the right choice for me and I feel so much better than since I was an infant now. The Tea forms really change the way you think and eliminate most anxiety if you work on them. I hope you find a non-med solution to your probs :D

Simon2010
06-03-2010, 10:26 AM
Hey guys

I've been dealing with anxiety issues for a long time. i've been using the new music-health site Sourcetone to pick the best music that is actually proven by Harvard Medical research to benefit anxiety. I hope everyone who has anxiety uses this amazing site

- simon

squirt
06-13-2010, 11:19 AM
Getting off meds has worked well for me, but you need to learn coping skills first imo. Let me know if you need any advice?

Coping skills like the TEA form exercise help more than you expect and definitely are the path to getting better. Great point!

tmays
06-22-2010, 04:47 PM
Coping skills like the TEA form exercise help more than you expect and definitely are the path to getting better. Great point!

Great point! I wish more people would be exposed to non med cures that work like the TEA forms.

trackstar
07-16-2010, 04:11 PM

Great point! I wish more people would be exposed to non med cures that work like the TEA forms.[/quote]

No doubt. Too bad all the drug companies have all the resources and control the message to their benefit.

tmays
07-28-2010, 06:28 PM
I do think that more people are begining to see through the drug co's promotion of their meds as more and more "wonder drugs" of all sorts are causing more serious problems just a few years after they come out and often being taken off the market.

gaurav.convonix
08-02-2010, 11:16 AM
Hey guys..I'm new here..
Since this topic of medication is up..I've always wondered whether these medicines really do something or is it just the Placebo effect..
Especially Homeopathy medicines..any info on that?

Robbed
08-07-2010, 03:46 AM
Hey guys..I'm new here..
Since this topic of medication is up..I've always wondered whether these medicines really do something or is it just the Placebo effect..
Especially Homeopathy medicines..any info on that?

This is a topic of GREAT controversy. ESPECIALLY when it comes to prescription antidepressants. Actually, several studies have shown that they may have little to no value for mild to moderate depression/anxiety, but may have some value for more severe depression/anxiety. In any case, the efficacy of these medications is far from perfect and side effects can be serious at times. As for placebo effect, this may be a major factor in the effectiveness with many medications and supplements. And, because of this, staying away from medication might not be a bad idea if you fear it.

As for homeopathic remedies, there have been virtually ZERO studies regarding the effectiveness of these. Any claims as to the effectiveness of them are purely anecdotal. But, as I stated above, placebo effect could be a factor here as well. But the bottom line in all of this is that there is no pill that is going to 'make it all go away today'.

Beachgirl
08-28-2010, 03:58 PM
[quote="Robbed" But the bottom line in all of this is that there is no pill that is going to 'make it all go away today'.[/quote]

All excellent points as usual Robbed but this one above was my favorite :D

jj1983
09-03-2010, 06:04 AM
Hey there,I am going to the dr today about my anxiety and I KNOW they will try giving me some crazy meds..I am just saying no..I am only seeing my pcp to get a referral for an EKG so I can MAKE sure with as stressful as 2010 has been that my heart is alright...

WhyNick
09-04-2010, 02:39 AM
Like you, I have been prescribed medication in the past and it has invariably helped short term. The problem is that medication allows you to ignore the underlying problem and it is very easy to carry on taking drugs without doing anything to deal with your anxiety. I would say that if you are going to rely on medication to help you cope short term, just make sure that you are working on your anxiety either through CBT which can have good results or through a self help programme. I suffered from anxiety for nearly fifteen years until I started using a self help programme and support group. :D

trackstar
09-05-2010, 12:27 PM
Hey there,I am going to the dr today about my anxiety and I KNOW they will try giving me some crazy meds..I am just saying no..I am only seeing my pcp to get a referral for an EKG so I can MAKE sure with as stressful as 2010 has been that my heart is alright...

Good to get checked out. If all is well with your heart start doing the TEA forms everyday and I'm sure you will start to feel a lot better and soon be in control over your anxieties :D

tmays
10-06-2010, 03:54 PM
Good job jj and why nick. Meds alone will never solve the problem. I am so glad I learned CBT and have stuck with doing my TEA forms. One months prescription covers the cost of all the pens and paper I will ever use on them in the rest of my life :tongue:

Beachgirl
10-25-2010, 01:40 PM
Good job jj and why nick. Meds alone will never solve the problem. I am so glad I learned CBT and have stuck with doing my TEA forms. One months prescription covers the cost of all the pens and paper I will ever use on them in the rest of my life :tongue:

Great advice as usual T & T... Sounds explosive :tongue:

tmays
12-14-2010, 04:18 PM
Thanks. Love the new look of the boards :agree:

Beachgirl
01-23-2011, 09:09 PM
My first time seeing the new boards. I like the look and the lack of spam everywhere, but can't find a lot of the posts I received notifications for? Help please anyone?

tmays
04-16-2011, 12:45 PM
Lack of spam is great!!! I also am having a hard time navigating and finding old posts so any suggesttions would be appreciated.

JaneB
04-19-2011, 11:41 AM
I agree with you guys who are skeptical of medication. I'm no expert here and just got diagnosed, but I'm going to try to avoid the big time meds like Xanex. I know B complex helps a lot of people, and then there are the herbs like Brahmi, Ashwaganda and Passion flower. Maybe try the herbal remedies before jumping on the meds? That's what I'm gonna do.

Robbed
04-19-2011, 04:02 PM
I know B complex helps a lot of people, and then there are the herbs like Brahmi, Ashwaganda and Passion flower. Maybe try the herbal remedies before jumping on the meds? That's what I'm gonna do.

Just remember that herbal remedies are, to a certain degree, just meds of a different kind. Like meds of the pharmaceutical variety, they have side effects all of their own (even if they may not be as serious). And even if they bring relief, they are still just basically masking symptoms. One way that herbal remedies SEEM to come out FAR ahead pharmaceutical meds is in the area of dependency. I emphasize the word 'SEEM', because I have not heard anything definitive here. But I've not heard of someone becoming addicted to, say, passion flower in the same way as, say, Xanax or Lexapro.

squirt
05-16-2011, 01:25 PM
I am having a hard time finding old posts also, but a small price to pay to be rid of all the cyrillic spam :)
I like having to answer a verification question but some are tough... What color is the sky? I looked out the window and it's definitely gray, but they still wanted me to say blue ;)

tmays
05-18-2011, 07:14 PM
Try Cbt Jane! If you do the teat forms daily they will help you a lot I think and hopefully keep you off of the med conundrum.

trackstar
06-06-2011, 12:06 PM
Try Cbt Jane! If you do the teat forms daily they will help you a lot I think and hopefully keep you off of the med conundrum.

Ditto on this advice. If you do the TEA forms daily you will start to feel a lot better pretty fast!

tmays
07-24-2011, 01:47 PM
Ditto on this advice. If you do the TEA forms daily you will start to feel a lot better pretty fast!

No doubt and thanks for backing up my advice buddy!

fallingthin
07-27-2011, 11:45 AM
I don't know how much a therapist would cost but I would think the benefits outweigh the cost. I have heard, but don't know, that some people have found the root of their anxiety and recovered in 3 or 4 sessions with a therapist. You could try natural remedies. I use ginseng and sometimes taurine.

Rhetoric
07-29-2011, 08:20 AM
Hey Free2fly.

Be careful how much you are taking of BBs. I've read many reports that if you ever try to stop taking them, you will start having really bad heart palpitations, anxiety attacks, etc. My psychiatrist gave me a script for propanolol to take as needed before entering a situation that I know will most likely raise anxiety to uncomfortable levels. I have yet to take one.. partially because I haven't encountered any overly stressful situations over the past week (which is good), and I don't want to get "hooked" on a BB and have to take it all the time. As you can probably tell, I'm a very cautious person when it comes to taking drugs. Drugs have their place, but I don't want to be completely dependent on a daily pill to be able to function.

tmays
08-04-2011, 03:26 PM
I don't know how much a therapist would cost but I would think the benefits outweigh the cost. I have heard, but don't know, that some people have found the root of their anxiety and recovered in 3 or 4 sessions with a therapist. You could try natural remedies. I use ginseng and sometimes taurine.

I agree about cost vs. benefits but I think even the best therapists and therapies take 3-4 months to work well and some people take longer. If people expect to get better in just 3 to 4 sessions I think they are being set up for failuere.

Robbed
08-04-2011, 11:12 PM
I agree about cost vs. benefits but I think even the best therapists and therapies take 3-4 months to work well and some people take longer. If people expect to get better in just 3 to 4 sessions I think they are being set up for failuere.

Good point. It's VERY important to remember that, even if you have gotten to the root of your anxiety, your anxiety is not 'all over'. It takes time for your body to heal physically - MUCH longer than 3-4 sessions. And typically MUCH longer than even 3-4 months. Patience is of the essence when it comes to recovering from anxiety disorder.

tmays
08-10-2011, 02:37 PM
Thanks and no doubt!!! :)

trackstar
08-24-2011, 12:53 PM
Good point. It's VERY important to remember that, even if you have gotten to the root of your anxiety, your anxiety is not 'all over'. It takes time for your body to heal physically - MUCH longer than 3-4 sessions. And typically MUCH longer than even 3-4 months. Patience is of the essence when it comes to recovering from anxiety disorder.

I completely agree! I think too many people think they are "cured" as soon as they start to feel better. In fact there work has only just begun imho.

tmays
09-25-2011, 11:55 AM
That's why I still spend a few minutes almost everyday countering my thoughts in my TEA forms. A small price to pay for the changes they have given :)

squirt
10-26-2011, 06:06 PM

This is so true! I still use them and have never felt better. I would recommend the CBT book by Sam Obitz "Been there, Done that? Do This! (www.tao3.com) to anyone who is just getting started on the TEA forms and CBT.

tmays
11-04-2011, 02:20 PM
This is so true! I still use them and have never felt better. I would recommend the CBT book by Sam Obitz "Been there, Done that? Do This! (www.tao3.com) to anyone who is just getting started on the TEA forms and CBT.

Also true for me. The TEA forms have helped me conquer my anxiety probs!

Question
11-10-2011, 12:44 AM
yea, scared the crap out of me a pyschiatrist at my school prescribed me ativan I think it was only .5 mg twice a day, was fine for about 6 months and then had this HUGE panic attack . I know for a fact that my trigger was caused by the possibility of starting a new relationship with someone after 4 years from a very depressing, awful breakup. I just don't know why the ativan stopped working, maybe it was too little? Ive been in hell for the past 6 months. this freakin' psychiatrist was just so worthless. I thought he was a counselor initally and when I first went in there all he said was "oh its all in your head" and didn't even bother to ask me questions, about possible sources of this, or the past 3/4 years Ive been battling anxiety/dep/some condition, or ANYTHING. so freaking lame. useless and needs to retire. I saw another psychiatrist and am on prozac 30mg a day and xanax .50 a day. what made me the most freaked out was that when I got on the ativan I thought "oh I'm cured, I'm on this now" (that was my first time ever being on medication about 1 year ago) and then had some pyschotic episode out of nowhere. sometimes I wish I could go on a time machine 4 years ago to change my life or I wouldn't be dealing with this still. I'm praying to God that the prozac and xanax continue to help long term. The psychiatrist told me that unlike ativan/xanax prozac is not known for being short term. Do any of you know about this either? I'd appreciate any feedback.

foxyboy
11-21-2011, 01:20 PM
ROBBED ????????? your a barrel of laugh,s no medication, no therapy . these people are ill , it dont go away on its own

trackstar
01-09-2012, 04:01 PM

Thanks for the support and so glad the TEA forms helped you as much as they continue to help me!

tmays
01-21-2012, 12:44 PM
The TEA forms continue to work for me as well. I may not do them every single day but I do them most days and the new ways of thinking have really taken hold in me and serve me well now.

trackstar
02-06-2012, 01:43 PM
The TEA forms continue to work for me as well. I may not do them every single day but I do them most days and the new ways of thinking have really taken hold in me and serve me well now.

That's awesome. Keep up the good work :)

caera
02-07-2012, 03:28 AM
Medicines are necessary according to situation because there are some diseases in which it is compulsory for you to take medicines according to prescription. But most of the time it is just your metal weakness that you are ill. If you take precautions then you don’t need to take medicines on regular basis.

trackstar
02-08-2012, 09:47 PM
Not sure I follow what exactly you are saying but I partially agree with some of your points.

squirt
03-06-2012, 12:35 PM
Also true for me. The TEA forms have helped me conquer my anxiety probs!

Great to hear Tmays. I hope life is good for you :)

trackstar
03-17-2012, 10:07 PM
Welcome back squirt! I hope all is well for you?

tmays
04-14-2012, 03:33 PM
Great to hear Tmays. I hope life is good for you :)

Doing outstanding, how bout you and welcome back :)

Emmzee
04-23-2012, 07:51 PM
Hi. I am new to the forum. The reason I joined is the same as the one posted here. I have occasional anxiety (mostly during stressful time) and few panic attacks. I go to my therapist (but not regularly). My anxiety/derealization always worsens when its cloudy, I am in a closed/rushy place like malls etc. I do not take subways for the same reason (but I am fine in elevators) so I dont say its claustrophobia. So lately, my anxiety has risen,I had two panic attacks within a small interval (one while driving at night) so now when I get into my car, i already am afraid (I do have what they say is fear of having a panic attack). I am a grad student and wants to have a career. I know my anxiety/panic can interfere with my career/family life. I want to talk to my doctor for putting me on medication, but my body reacts to anything I take and I am scared of the side effects. Advice me what I should do? Should medicine be as harmful to me as I think or they will calm down my nerves?

bhamlaxy
04-25-2012, 03:26 PM
Emmzee- Do you have a specific background of being sensitive to medicine? Or any reason why it would be harmful to you?

If you read up reviews, most drugs nowadays are very successful, with only a small group getting difficult side effects. Some of the newer drugs are designed to give minimal side effects.

I would definitely say try medication, along with therapy. I have been using ativan to stop panic attacks as they happen and it's been a life saver. I also recently started an antidepressant with only minor side effects, and I'm hoping it will work well although I need to wait a bit. Combining these things with trying to live healthier and seeing a therapist, hopefully things will turn out well for me.

inspiration66
04-26-2012, 11:41 AM
If you would like to cure your anxiety you have to find the source of it,but if you want to control it you have no way but taking chemical medicine :) ... You are the best person you can help yourself.

tmays
04-27-2012, 01:39 PM
If you would like to cure your anxiety you have to find the source of it,but if you want to control it you have no way but taking chemical medicine :) ... You are the best person you can help yourself.

Welcome Emmzee. Both responses you received were good but I tend to share inspiration66's feelings. Meds can give you short term relief but if you want lasting relief you need to help yourself using things like CBT and the TEA form exercise. I was on the med roller coaster before I learned how to help myself and have been off meds ever since and I'm doing great.

trackstar
05-08-2012, 01:31 PM

Excellent points. I look at medicine as a band-aid and CBT as attacking the cause/source of anxiety. Some people need meds to help them attack the source but if you start to rely on them without attacking the source you will most likely end up in a med conundrum :(

trackstar
05-08-2012, 01:32 PM
Welcome Emmzee. Both responses you received were good but I tend to share inspiration66's feelings. Meds can give you short term relief but if you want lasting relief you need to help yourself using things like CBT and the TEA form exercise. I was on the med roller coaster before I learned how to help myself and have been off meds ever since and I'm doing great.

Here, here. Complete agreement!

tmays
06-14-2012, 03:00 PM
Excellent points. I look at medicine as a band-aid and CBT as attacking the cause/source of anxiety. Some people need meds to help them attack the source but if you start to rely on them without attacking the source you will most likely end up in a med conundrum :(

So true. sadly this is what happens to most people because a lot of doctors don't know any better and just keep prescribing meds.

tmays
05-27-2013, 12:21 PM
I'm back and would love to hear how everyone is doing?
I am doing great! :)

tmays
08-21-2013, 04:40 PM
Where is everyone? I saw Beachgirl recently posted on another board but I miss all my CBT friends on here!

trackstar
09-06-2013, 04:34 PM
I'm still around Tmays and doing great. Probably one of the reasons I don't post as often now... Where does all the time go?

Dan Medz
09-08-2013, 05:51 AM
I probably should be on medication but oddly enough it is one of my phobias. I had some bad reactions as a child to medication and growing up and I think that's where this waryness of it comes from.

Dan Medz
09-08-2013, 05:54 AM
Aside from that I always feel like taking medication for my anxiety is somehow cheating. For some reason I feel like I should be able to beat this thing on my own by rationalising my way out of it. I feel like if I turn to medication I'm not really solving anything I'm just using it as a crutch. Does anyone else feel that way sometimes?

trackstar
10-11-2013, 05:39 PM
Give CBT a try. IT has been proven to be more effective than meds and is what got me better :)

tmays
10-27-2013, 02:22 PM
Give CBT a try. IT has been proven to be more effective than meds and is what got me better :)

I second that advice. Totally turned my life around and I am still using the TEA form exercise to great success.

udinesio
11-15-2013, 05:43 PM
Propranolol does wonders for panic attacks. I'd look into that.

trackstar
11-27-2013, 01:29 PM
Isn't that what killed Michael Jackson???

jessed03
11-27-2013, 01:54 PM
Isn't that what killed Michael Jackson???

Jackson took propofol. Sounds kinda similar, but propofol is kinda like what you take when they put you out for surgery.

Which to be fair, would stop anxiety pretty successfully lol.

Ponder
11-27-2013, 03:59 PM
Aside from that I always feel like taking medication for my anxiety is somehow cheating. For some reason I feel like I should be able to beat this thing on my own by rationalising my way out of it. I feel like if I turn to medication I'm not really solving anything I'm just using it as a crutch. Does anyone else feel that way sometimes?

Hi Dan. Yes I do feel like that at times. I don't plan to always be on Meds, however my current circumstances and built up imbalance require the use of meds to stabilize me in order that I can adopt other methods before I can walk crutch-less again. Using a crutch need not be viewed as weak, but more a tool to strengthen ones resolve. Rationalization has long been a perspective in which I have searched for answers, but have now come to realize that such thinking is limited to only our minds and not the person within. Rationalizing cuts us off from remaining open - it's full of this Vs that with unwavering attachments on words which mean nothing by themselves, yet bring about an negative emotions that seek right and wrong. Logic may serve to distinguish & navigate in a world full of signs and labels, but does little and in fact serves to keep us bound in a prison constrained by words.

I was very anti meds for years - Exercise freak, natural foods guru, bla bla bla ... I was also full of myself and wanted to be front page materiel of all that represents well being and attain ascension - LOL Well perhaps not quite so, but that's the other side of the coin for ya. I guess keeping it simple and going with what works it best. I hit rock bottom to arrive at meds, and discovered since then how they best work for me. If you able to get by without them, then for sure ... your doing well and it's probably the smart way to go ... just don't discount their effectiveness for others who have less options open to them. Not that you are --- I don't mean to imply that, just saying is all.

Weather we like it or not, we live in a world full of chemicals - liberated yet adulterated; so to speak - The lack of movement, natural exposure, and many other basic interactions and human instincts are now being replaced with digitized and bio engineered replacement parts, foods, ethics and so on. Hell - humans now have to create artificial environments that once served to feed our bodies with vitamins and fresh air - instead we have now have to suffer plastic plants with electrically filtered air. When you consider the contrast of this to only say Seven Decades ago ... then go back only Ten more ... It's no bloody wonder, that meds are sorely sort. Not only do we need crutches, but soon we'll all need; a breathing apparatus too.

... just saying is all. ..... perhaps I think too much.
Take care & best wishes with whatever works for you. I hope us all - a crutch free future. :)

Beachgirl
01-28-2014, 08:55 PM
Happy New Year everyone!!!

NixonRulz
01-28-2014, 08:55 PM
Happy New Year everyone!!!

2012 will be the best year ever!

trackstar
05-15-2014, 03:45 PM
Jackson took propofol. Sounds kinda similar, but propofol is kinda like what you take when they put you out for surgery.

Which to be fair, would stop anxiety pretty successfully lol.

Thanks for clarifying and the humor as well :)

Beachgirl
06-14-2014, 10:54 AM
Thanks for clarifying and the humor as well :)

I would have thought the same thing. Thank goodness there are people on here that know the differences and present it in a kind way :)

tmays
06-16-2014, 04:40 PM
Good to see the humor is still alive on these boards :)

Hoosiergirl
02-09-2015, 04:45 PM
I went to a local Health Food Store and talked to one of the people who is educated on products there. I mentioned I was having severe anxiety and she
immediately responded with empathy stating she had suffered from it her entire life and was on prescribed medicine. I told her I was surprised she wasn't
using supplements, since she worked there. She said since her meds were working okay, she was not going to change at this time. I had read about
L-tryptophan working and Gaba. I tried both together and had a lot of luck and no side effects. 500 mg of each once per day one hour before eating
It worked really well, and I've meant to go back in and tell her, but haven't had a chance. I was so thankful something worked and that I didn't have
to use prescription route.