PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety linked to menstruation?

snowberry
11-04-2013, 05:34 PM
Hi guys, I've just abut talked myself down from an anxiety attack. I woke up with dry mouth and just a serious feeling of unease, a desperate need to pee (despite having gone less than two hours previously) and then crashing anxiety (which has subsided for now).

Anyway, I've noticed that these feelings come around two weeks/a week and a half before menstruation, and I believe my hormones are either greatly contributing or causing this anxiety. This last week I've been feeling very well, the burning has subsided and everything has been fine. I started a new job today and everything went okay so I'm okay with that. I really don't think this is a coincidence that every time this happens, it's around menstruation. It's the only thing that can explain why I'm feeling like this for no reason.

Are there any women on here who have experienced this? What did your doctor do for you?

amaranth
11-05-2013, 11:32 AM
Oh my, I have such intense anxiety right before my period, all I want to do is drink and I get obsessive thoughts and worries. I always wondered if others experienced this.

petrified
11-05-2013, 11:40 AM
Yeah I totally relate to what your saying, my anxiety is always sky high around that time of the month and I seem to worry more over total minor trivial things. Evening primrose oil has helped me in the past

trinidiva
11-05-2013, 12:47 PM
Mine is terrible during that time. ......just about every month I go through heightened anxiety around that time....ugh...

Tink1595
11-06-2013, 05:19 PM
Yes, my anxiety is heightened at that time as well, I always pick and rip at the skin around my fingers at that time, every month no fail, trying a low hormone birth control pill to see if it will help! its so awful! :(

AnxiousPsychGrad
11-06-2013, 09:03 PM
I ended up in the ER because of the extreme anxiety I was having before my cycle. It definitely is much more intense during that time. All about the hormones.

ens22108
11-06-2013, 10:27 PM
100% . Google "PMDD" it's PMS x100. It gives you anxiety and panic disorder. I'm at my worst 1-2 weeks before my period. It's horrible. It's handled the same as anxiety. Meds, therapy, individual.

arwhat
11-06-2013, 11:26 PM
I was wondering this myself! I always feel so much worse in the week or so leading up to my period. My period itself is just intensely painful, I don't get moodswings or cravings or anything during it, just a host of all kinds of terrible pain. But the week or so before, if there is anything bothering me it suddenly goes from a minor thought in the back of my mind to something bigger. It's not always so strong every week, but it can be pretty bad at times and it can kickstart a very bad spiral for me. I have PCOS but my birth control doesn't seem to be doing a good job, so I may try switching it and see if I see improvement. Would birth control help PMDD too if that's what my problem is?

ens22108
11-07-2013, 07:13 AM
I was wondering this myself! I always feel so much worse in the week or so leading up to my period. My period itself is just intensely painful, I don't get moodswings or cravings or anything during it, just a host of all kinds of terrible pain. But the week or so before, if there is anything bothering me it suddenly goes from a minor thought in the back of my mind to something bigger. It's not always so strong every week, but it can be pretty bad at times and it can kickstart a very bad spiral for me. I have PCOS but my birth control doesn't seem to be doing a good job, so I may try switching it and see if I see improvement. Would birth control help PMDD too if that's what my problem is?

Yes! My Gyno said birth control, ssri, and b vitamins and magnesium can help! I try to just stick with vitamins, I had a bad experience with Prozac so I refuse to take medication and I don't like how birth control pills affect me. But I never remember to take the vitamins I got to get back on top of that.

snowberry
11-10-2013, 05:19 PM
100% . Google "PMDD" it's PMS x100. It gives you anxiety and panic disorder. I'm at my worst 1-2 weeks before my period. It's horrible. It's handled the same as anxiety. Meds, therapy, individual.

Thank you! This does sound like me. I recently had to go to the ER because of a panic attack that felt like I was dying. It was one day into my period. I may have to seek meds for this.