PDA

View Full Version : Do anti depresants work

3535nathan
11-03-2013, 05:22 AM
Am going to book an appointment with my doctor and I am worried about taking anti depressants. I was wondering if they actually help with panic attacks agoraphobia and general anxiety? I have always tried to avoid them but now I feel I have no were to turn. Has any one been on them before? Thanks for reading

mikecole114
11-03-2013, 06:42 AM
so i started taking citlopram about 5 weeks ago its so hard to pin point whether its actually helped i started on 10mg for 4 weeks then this week they moved me up to 20mg. firstly i defo notice side effects (as with any drug this is expected) its known that all people have different side effects and it may affect some people more or in different ways then others. to be honest mental health research is still massively underinvested and antidepressents are still relatively new so there is no telling what it will do. many health care proffesionals argue over the cause, symptoms and best treatment for anxiety/depression so dont accept exactly what your doctors says maybe do some research for alternative medicines and or anything eles which will help. i saw this interesting video comparing antidepressants as if a cars engine was your brain then anti depressants are like pouring oil all over it to try and fill the oil up. of course some will go in the right place but alot of it will be splashed everywhere. its not cure thats for sure but can help relieve symptoms while you struggle to find the cause and help that. one of the side effects with citlopram was that for a week or 2 after taking them it makes you worse before it gets better. also ive had alot of other things going on in my life in the last 5 weeks which made me feel really bad so its not like a miracle drug which is gonna make you feel better about everything. right now im the most anxious ive been in weeks despite taking the medicine other things can trigger it. i can only assume that if i werent on them i would be panicing alot more right now. if you like me were willing to try anything to make you feel better then it could be a route for you. im still at a very early stage in my recovery so i cant tell you what will be best but from the advice ive been given and everything i read the best thing to do is therapy/counciling specifically CBT ive applied for it but havent got a response yet so we will see. also ive found just talking on here helps me so much.
remember your not alone. keep talking about it with friends family and accept that you need help.

alankay
11-03-2013, 07:40 AM
Been on prozac since 1992 and feel they do indeed help but need time to do so. Give one a fair trial(2 months minimum). I would say they help most but not all enough to stay on them. They can cause a bump in anxiety(not always) but it can be worth it if it does help long term. Zoloft is often the first one tried. Alankay

3535nathan
11-03-2013, 09:27 AM
That's mad I was born in 1991. I have had this for over a year now and I have always tried my best to cope with jt but never dealt With it but a couple of recent panic attacks has made me want to get help. I feel so much guild towards how this side of me is effecting my girl friend and family. And it's ruining my life.

mikecole114
11-03-2013, 09:38 AM
That's mad I was born in 1991. I have had this for over a year now and I have always tried my best to cope with jt but never dealt With it but a couple of recent panic attacks has made me want to get help. I feel so much guild towards how this side of me is effecting my girl friend and family. And it's ruining my life.

Yeah this is such a strain on a realationship I think the best thing to do is to educate them as much as you can eg make them google it go TED website they have loads of related videos which really helped me to explain it. Educate yourself so u can educate them!!!