PDA

View Full Version : Made Up phobias

polkalozz
11-01-2013, 10:16 AM
Today, me and my friends were making some food together which was a peanut satay sauce, then the topic of peanut allergies came up. This made me think how horrible it would be to have one, which made my brain wonder as we sat down to eat it, I could feel a hot flush fall over me and thinking oh dear this is panic, then I quickly readjusted my mind set telling myself im fine.

Bare in mind I have no food allergies of any sort, now im anxious about it.

My brain annoys me sometimes, Does this happen to anyone else?

tailspin
11-01-2013, 01:34 PM
Yes! I can relate. I think that anxious people tend to have very vivid imaginations and we also tend to be very vulnerable to negative suggestions. Not a good combination!! I guess it's because we're so used to being on our guard against potential threats that we begin reacting on a hair trigger after a while. And any suggestion of a possible danger causes our stress response to kick in and our imagination to go to the worst case scenario.

I think the best we can do is what you did: notice that we are starting to panic and remind ourselves that there is no danger and we are fine. Sometimes we just have to keep doing this over and over again.

polkalozz
11-01-2013, 01:52 PM
Yeah I think it definitely was a trigger for me, made mw anxious all day now! but gota keep the Mantra, nothing is wrong, I am fine, stop panicking! :)