PDA

View Full Version : Bipolar or just an adventurist?

wanderingsoul21
10-24-2005, 09:13 PM
Hi, I was diagnosed as being bipolar but I don't think that I am but at times I think I do think I am. But, by what I've found out that there is no real diagnosis whether or not I have it. Well since living minded in such a shit state, there's nothing much to do so, when I would go out, I would try to make it fun and I've always been into some bad ass guys. I was wanting to know, is it that I'm not depressed, just bored and seeking adventure?
I mean, I know I've done some pretty bad stuff, (breaking the law!)

brickyard_red
10-25-2005, 05:53 AM
Keep in mind that I'm not a dr. by any means and have only had limited exposure to people with bipolar disorder, but I would think that you trying to come up with other reasons on why you are feeling this way is a sign that you really are depressed.

I believe that it is during your down and depressed time that you are feeling "bored" and restless and when you are on your high it is then that you decide to get out there and do what you do.

But, then again, these are just my opinions, maybe someone else here knows more about it than I do. :?:

In any case, thanks for sharing with us how you are feeling and keep talking. Maybe it will help you feel better about things in the end.

Cath :)

shoe
10-25-2005, 09:18 AM
tsk tsk, breaking the law! hehe.

wandering, sometimes doctors misdiagnose and it doesn't hurt to get a 2nd or 3rd opinion. Psychiatrists/Psychologists who actually put you through a personality test might be a best bet if you don't agree with others diagnoses. I think the MMPI test is the most common test used to analyze someone.

Here's an article on that if you'd like to check it out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MMPI

There's also some links to 'screening tests' in the Resources section here you could take, but I think those are mostly for getting an idea of what you might have; none give a concrete diagnosis.

*on edit, I just thought I'd add that I updated the Resources section 'Screening Tests' to make note of the official 'bible' of diagnosing, the DSM-IV TR. I'll put a link to the Wikipedia article here though for reference. You could look at the online version (look for the link at the bottom of the page) to see what the criteria used in diagnosing bipolar disorder are if you like.

Wikipedia: DSM-IV
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSM-IV