PDA

View Full Version : Inpatient hospitalization?

Chris C
10-28-2013, 06:41 PM
Has anyone on here ever checked themselves into the hospital for their anxiety? Mine has been so bad recently I've considered it. I know it's usually short term (a few days) so don't know how much benefit there would be.

Cleverun
10-28-2013, 07:20 PM
I've been thinking about checking myself in, too. It's difficult to bring it up with my parents, though. Have you done any research on it?
One of my friends said it isn't a good place to go, and that they can be insensitive to anxiety disorders. I'm still considering it.

Chris C
10-28-2013, 07:29 PM
About a month ago I did go to the hospital to see about checking in. Had to go through the ER first. They took some blood to test and about an hour later someone from the mental health dept came to talk to me. Their first concern is if you're suicidal. I explained I was depressed from the anxiety but not yet suicidal. He was a nice guy and we talked for awhile. Basically I decided against it at the time because it sounded like it might be a little scary. You're on a locked ward with all kinds of people. Someone checks on you every 15 minutes. The day is structured with group therapy sessions.

I've been feeling so bad lately though that I'm starting to wonder how bad can it be. It seems anything would be better than laying in bed all day praying to fall asleep.

Cleverun
10-28-2013, 07:53 PM
I've been feeling suicidal for a while, which is one of the reasons why it's hard to bring up with my family. I don't mind group sessions or other problematic people or any of that stuff.

AnxiousPsychGrad
10-28-2013, 07:57 PM
I've been contemplating this as well. I'm not eating or sleeping. It'll be exactly two weeks at 5:17 a.m. I am not myself, and I'm heading deeper into a panic and depression state. Nobody understands. If only we could get over this little hump and see the light. I'm more than ready to be back to my old self.

Cleverun
10-28-2013, 08:16 PM
Boy, do I feel that. :hug: I keep getting flashbacks, and there are times when I don't feel safe in my own home. My sister seems bent on making it harder for me.

Try to make yourself eat, even if you're not hungry. I find it easier to eat when no one's around.

Chris C
10-28-2013, 08:37 PM
Cleverun if you've been feeling suicidal you should try and talk to someone. If family isn't an option maybe lookup a suicide hotline in your area. Forums like this are great and supportive but sometimes you need to actually speak with someone.

jessed03
10-28-2013, 10:26 PM
What country are you in Chris?

Chris C
10-28-2013, 11:27 PM
I'm in the US. California.

I also looked into residential treatment facilities but these aren't covered by insurance unless you have a substance abuse problem, an eating disorder or are an adolescent. There's some private pay places available but they are very expensive.

trinidiva
10-29-2013, 06:10 AM
I'm in the US. California.

I also looked into residential treatment facilities but these aren't covered by insurance unless you have a substance abuse problem, an eating disorder or are an adolescent. There's some private pay places available but they are very expensive.

I wish there were something like a weekly support group....where for a minimal fee people could go and learn the basics of CBT. It at least might help some of us who can't afford pricey private treatment centers.....

meichmann
10-29-2013, 06:17 AM
I would suggest calling your county government. Most county governments have a human services department or division. they would be able to direct you towards a local group where you could meet if they don't offer one directly.