PDA

View Full Version : Question about Anxiety and Alcohol

Juno
01-01-2008, 07:21 PM
I have suffered from anxiety the past 3 years. I find that if I drink alcohol, I am guaranteed to have a panic attack the next day. Has this ever happened to you? Is it possible that alcohol can trigger anxiety?

I truly appreciate your input!

amm1066
01-02-2008, 02:19 AM
Hi,
I dont drink anymore because alcohol does make anxiety and panic worse the next day. Thats not just my own experience,Ive read that it does and there are other posts on here from people who say the same.

Alexcambridge
01-02-2008, 11:34 AM
I must say I haven't noticed that. I find that if I drink a little it helps me relax a lot. Of course on the other hand I don't want to use it like medicine because that's ultimately gonna make everything worse lol.

Juno
01-02-2008, 12:34 PM
Thank you for the feedback. I have been struggling with this lately. Anytime I drink, the next day I wake up and cry. I have irrational thoughts that I cannot stop and I kind of spiral in those thoughts. I don't know how alcohol could trigger it, but it certainly does. And don't get me wrong, I enjoy a glass of wine and it does calm me down. It is just the next day that is terrible. And it is not a hang over. It is a feeling I get in my stomach, throat, and heart. I feel a sense of panic and loneliness. I kind of make things up in my head. I was just hoping that I was not the only person that this happened to. I guess you could say that misery loves company!

jane99
01-02-2008, 04:55 PM
Maybe you are disappointed that the alcohol failed you. I think we want the alcohol to take something away. Unfortunately, it is there and sometimes worse, afterwords. peace & love,,,,,,, jane

The Melody of Rain
01-02-2008, 05:31 PM
I feel exceptionally anxious the morning after the night before, and usually throughout the day. Its because you're going through alcohol withdrawal. I also feel quite weak and vague. Brain-fogged. I would recommend plenty of water and if at all manageable, a small lager.

No caffeine.