PDA

View Full Version : Help please!!

gemma1788
10-26-2013, 12:41 AM
Hi there anxiety sufferers! I am just wondering if anyone has experienced this in the past. I will tell the full story but I'm sorry if it is long! So, on Saturday my fiancé and I went to a wedding. We had to stay away from home at the resort with one of his friends and his girlfriend. I was anxious from the beginning being away from home! We are getting married in three weeks and seeing another wedding in action made me all the more anxious. Half way through the reception my husband says he has "the worst headache he's ever had" and I instantly believe it is a blown aneurysm (obviously lol). I checked all his vitals (I am an ER nurse so I know what I'm doing) everything looks fine. Let's be honest, even though everything looked normal I still believed he was dying. But I went back to the wedding to try and distract myself. I had had a few wines and a few cigarettes (which isn't any different to any other outing), but I felt my heart racing. I check my pulse, 120. Ok, so that's high but I'm anxious. I take a few deep breaths to try and slow it down. Not budging. Oh sh!t. Half an hour goes by and it still hasn't budged and I'm secretly trying to check my pulse without anyone noticing and continuing to act normal although on the inside I am freaking. So I decided to have a shower and go to bed and play some games on my iphone to distract me. Two hours has passed by now and my heart rate is not budging! 120! I slept on and off checking my pulse at every waking and it stayed up at 120. At around 3:30am I decided to have half a Valium, which I couldn't do earlier because of the alcohol. Come five thirty and I am still at 120! We left early (my fiancé woke up feeling perfect) and drove home. I took a full Valium and went to bed at around 10 am. I woke up and my heart rate was back to its regular at 70. Has anyone ever had a high heart rate for this amount of time!!!???? I have had a holter monitor and get the results this afternoon because my gp is concerned. I didn't want to go to the hospital, because I genuinely thought it was anxiety. Thanks so much! I'm sorry it was long!

manz82
10-26-2013, 03:13 PM
When I first started dealing with anxiety I had a heart rate of 140 for three dats straight. A few months ago I had a heart rate of 120 all day. How did I know it was a full day? Because I kept checking! It makes you hyperaware and more anxious. So stop checking! Let it race if it wants. It won't kill you. A healthy heart can race up to 209 bpm for two weeks before any damage. Hope this helps. X

gemma1788
10-26-2013, 05:44 PM
Thank you so much for your reply, the fact that it didn't go down through the night freaked me out the most. Fingers crossed it stays away. Thank you!

Blessed
10-26-2013, 08:43 PM
Mine has been elevated for days here lately between 100-120, very alarming. Even while laying down . I'm sure my anxiety is causing this it's just so hard to convince myself

Chris C
10-26-2013, 09:05 PM
Try to stop checking your pulse. I used to do this all the time when my anxiety first started. Always checking my pulse. I even bought a stethoscope lol. The fact is by constantly bringing your attention to it you make yourself more anxious. Practice relaxing. I find listening to some relaxation hypnosis helps a lot. Focus on taking calm relaxing breaths and your heart will follow.

gemma1788
10-27-2013, 07:17 AM
Mine has been elevated for days here lately between 100-120, very alarming. Even while laying down . I'm sure my anxiety is causing this it's just so hard to convince myself

Does this include when you are sleeping? I have tried deep breathing, but it didn't help. I didn't necessarily feel anxious either, I just don't know how it can stay up that high for that long. Oh well, I will have to let it go, it's hard to not keep freaking and wondering when it will happen again!

Blessed
10-27-2013, 12:11 PM
Does this include when you are sleeping? I have tried deep breathing, but it didn't help. I didn't necessarily feel anxious either, I just don't know how it can stay up that high for that long. Oh well, I will have to let it go, it's hard to not keep freaking and wondering when it will happen again!when I am laying down its in the 80s, a few weeks ago it was in 60s. I have been weaned off beta blocker for 3 weeks