PDA

View Full Version : was doing ok

sharacel91
10-23-2013, 03:57 PM
So ive been doing ok recently but still can't help but get scared by palpertations will these ever go away they scare me so much and tried hard to ignore me but they still come back!

NixonRulz
10-23-2013, 05:29 PM
Good news/Bad news.

They may or may not ever go away. Everyone gets them.

You and I, and many others are always scanning our body so we notice them.

The point isn't for them or any other symptom you have to stop. Trying to stop them will never happen. You cannot will them away.

The point is to realize they are harmless, because THEY ARE HARMLESS!!!!

Take the power away from the symptoms and not react to false signals will have those symptoms picking on someone else.

NeverToo...Fear
10-24-2013, 04:44 AM
^ Nix has the right idea !

Us who are plagued with the bum luck of anxiety are constantly in scan mode...

"My heart is beating weird...it's too fast...it's too slow...there's some pain..oh, god, it just skipped a beat.....and more pain...No..it really didn't skip again did it? Did it?!"

We put ourselves into a terrible spin of thoughts--all of which are not helpful, and it doesn't make things better, but much worse..we tend to focus only on negatives, searching only for when something isn't just right. That's not healthy,
cause the more we worry, the more intense the symptoms, the harder we are scanning, the more little things we will find and worry over.. Heck even last night I thought my heart was beating weird, but I put it aside and gave my anxiety no fuel..a very hard thing for us to do, but it helps....I figured, either I'm dying from the longest heart attack/failure in the world, or it's anxiety...I'm willing to bet it's the later.. :)

With that being said, I hope this helps you, and that you continue to do okay.... :)

NixonRulz
10-24-2013, 02:13 PM
^ Nix has the right idea ! Us who are plagued with the bum luck of anxiety are constantly in scan mode... "My heart is beating weird...it's too fast...it's too slow...there's some pain..oh, god, it just skipped a beat.....and more pain...No..it really didn't skip again did it? Did it?!" We put ourselves into a terrible spin of thoughts--all of which are not helpful, and it doesn't make things better, but much worse..we tend to focus only on negatives, searching only for when something isn't just right. That's not healthy, cause the more we worry, the more intense the symptoms, the harder we are scanning, the more little things we will find and worry over.. Heck even last night I thought my heart was beating weird, but I put it aside and gave my anxiety no fuel..a very hard thing for us to do, but it helps....I figured, either I'm dying from the longest heart attack/failure in the world, or it's anxiety...I'm willing to bet it's the later.. :) With that being said, I hope this helps you, and that you continue to do okay.... :)

Funny you mention the whole heart attack thing.

I knew of someone who had heart palpitations and anxiety for ages.

When he was about 70, he had a heart attack and was in the hospital for days and almost died.

When I spoke with him when he was released, he told me a heart attack hurts like hell and if he knew what the heart attack pain felt like, he would have never believed a simple palpitation was a sign of a heart problem. Said he wasted years upon years worrying for nothing.

Needless to say, he doesn't scare from palpitations anymore.